Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I switch from 2wd to 4wd the light with the four wheels goes out and the 4wd light stays on. It will not shift to four wheel drive and one day this week the 4wd light came on without moving the four wheel drive selector. Got any ideas out there?????

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Hub going out, wheel sensor bad, transfer case actuator bad, check the wiring to all 4 sensors and see if the have cracks in them where they clip together. Might try a code reader to see if you have any trouble codes stored

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hub going out, wheel sensor bad, transfer case actuator bad, check the wiring to all 4 sensors and see if the have cracks in them where they clip together. Might try a code reader to see if you have any trouble codes stored
+1 on all that Fishn mentioned, try to get the codes pulled so you have a better idea on where to look. Is your slip light on?

It is worth mentioning if you elimnate everything else and end up at the transfer case actuator (the transfer case motor) do a simple test of pulling the motor off the transfer case and have someone in the cab (truck off in park) toggle between 2wd 4wd 4lo. I had problems with a connector on one of my front wheels for the ABS sensor, after I took care of that I still experienced intermittent 4x4 issues. Long story short the o-ring on the motor had swelled and had moved the motor enough the rod that goes into a slot in the transfer case would not engage. Replace seal and was back in action. The FSM advises replacing that seal anytime you have the motor/actuator off.

Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same problem here...
2007 SE big tow, e-locker (hasnt worked in 4 years), 4x4 off-road.
266k miles and the 4WD light started coming on a few months ago.
No other drivetrain lights. Only the TPMS system (dead for 7 years no problems), a SES because i had to remove the CATs (only codes are L & R O2 sensor faults).
No issues with ABS, SLIP, speedo, etc.

Having a hard time finding specifics on the 4x4 system....

So far I've swapped the two black relays in the small relay housing between the battery and main fusebox. I believe the black relays are T/F Hi and T/F Low. I'm not convinced swapping them is a definitive troubleshooting step because I'm thinking they could either both be bad, or if one is bad, it'll throw the fault light no matter which location its connected. (?)

I also swapped the BLUE Trailer L / R blinker relays into the other two T/F relay positions (Transfer Shutoff Relay 1, and Transfer Shutoff relay 2). I'm positive the Trailer relays are functional as I just confirmed my trailer lights were operational about 4 days ago. So, I'll rule out the two blue relays a potential problem sources.

I don't really hear anything clicking inside the cab / dash when i turn the 4wd switch to any position. I don't ever recall hearing anything even while it was working though. Its difficult to tell if the motor or anything outside the cab (in the drivetrain) is moving because I've got a small exhaust leak. (its an old truck with 266k miles and been through hell. it happens).

Whats the next step? Pull the motor on the transfer case and see if it moves?

Are there ANY OTHER relays, fuses, or anything i need to check that are part of the 4WD system, other than the 4 relays just behind the battery?

·
Registered
19 Posts
To update my own post... I managed to run the 4wd system troubleshoot procedure (twice).

The first time, I got two codes, which i believe were 4 and 11.

long blink, followed by 4 short, pause, 11 short blinks, repeat with long blink, etc...

The second time (after it cleared the codes and i caused the 4wd to error again) I only got code 11.

11 ---> Actuator motor
- Motor does not operate properly due to open or short circuit in actuator motor.
- Malfunction is detected in the actuator motor. (When 4WD shift switch is operated and actuator motor is not operated).
- Malfunction is detected in transfer shift high relay or transfer shift low relay.

So, basically, I think i need to pull and check the motor, and test the transfer shift relays (high and low), and look for breaks or shorts in the wiring to the actuator motor.

I'll report back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also, this is the list of codes for the 4wd system. I haven't found them posted anywhere on Titantalk yet, so I'm posting them from "TRUXterra" over here:

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-tos/39197-how-obtain-decipher-4wd-malfunction-codes.html

ERASE SELF-DIAGNOSIS
* In order to make it easier to find the cause of hard-to-duplicate malfunctions, malfunction information is stored into the control unit as necessary during use by the user. This memory is not erased no matter how many times the ignition switch is turned ON and OFF. *
*** However, this information is erased by turning ignition switch “OFF” after performing self-diagnostics or by erasing the memory using the CONSULT-II. ***

Refer to list below

Legend
Flickering pattern ---> "Item"
- Diagnostic item is detected

Repeats flickering every 0.25 sec. ---> Data erase display
- Power supply failure of memory back-up.
- Battery is disconnected for a long time.
- Battery performance is poor.

Repeats flickering every 2 to 5 sec.
- Circuits that the self-diagnosis covers have no malfunction.

No flickering
- PNP switch or 4WD shift switch circuit is shorted or open.

2 ---> Output shaft revolution signal (from TCM)
- Malfunction is detected in output shaft revolution signal that is output from TCM through CAN communication.
- Improper signal is input while driving.

3 ---> Vehicle speed signal (from ABS)
- Malfunction is detected in vehicle speed signal that is output from ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) through CAN communication.

4 ---> CAN communication
- Malfunction has been detected from CAN communication.

5 ---> AD converter
- AD converter system of transfer control unit is malfunctioning.

6 ---> 4LO switch
- Improper signal from 4LO switch is input due to open or short circuit.

7 ---> Engine speed signal
- Malfunction is detected in engine speed signal that is output from ECM through CAN communication.

8 ---> Power supply
- Power supply voltage for transfer control unit is abnormally low while driving.

9 ---> 4WD shift switch
- More than two switch inputs are simultaneously detected due to short circuit of 4WD shift switch.

10 ---> Wait detection switch
- Improper signal from wait detection switch is input due to open or short circuit.

11 ---> Actuator motor
- Motor does not operate properly due to open or short circuit in actuator motor.
- Malfunction is detected in the actuator motor. (When 4WD shift switch is operated and actuator motor is not operated).
- Malfunction is detected in transfer shift high relay or transfer shift low relay.

12 ---> Actuator position switch
- Improper signal from actuator position switch is input due to open or short circuit.
- Malfunction is detected in the actuator position switch.

13 ---> Transfer control device
- Malfunction is detected in transfer shut off relay 1 and transfer shut off 2.
- Malfunction occurs in transfer control device drive circuit.

14 ---> PNP switch signal
- When A/T PNP switch signal is malfunction or communication error between the vehicles.

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
6,209 Posts
sometimes when your code reader give you that error, its not connecting to your truck. maybe its a bad/loose connection or maybe the ob2 port has a bad wire in it.

one of our vehicles has a bad obd2 port so our code reader always gives us errors like that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts