Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, the T just lost 4x4. Attempted to put it in this morning with fresh snow on the roads. The 4x4 light indicated it was engaged, but I was spinning out everywhere. I tried it again, and all it did was started to grind... very bummed.

Any thoughts before I take it to the stealership?

A quick glance did not indicate any leaking fluids or damage.

2004 4x4 LE.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Likely the C-Clip on the driver side 1/2 shaft... Sometimes it locks the wheels completely up when it pops out and sometimes 4x4 just won't engage

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks pops,

I browsed some prior posts and thought this may be the issue. Is this going to be a quick fix or do I need a complete revamp of the front diff? I am not familiar with this type of problem.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-problems-dealer-service/68142-front-axle-failer-thread.html

Cliff Notes:

They upgraded the diff in 2006 to strengthen the case and resist the half shafts from popping out, although it apparently still happens in some instances.

If the C-clip is still engaged in the groove on the inner end of the half shaft, some people are able to just push it back in place. Other people have new C-clips installed, which are supposed to be improved. Other people suffer damage to the diff, such as the splines on the half shaft, end of shaft breaks off at the groove, seal, gears

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In response to the suggestions on here, I took another look at the front diff. Bad news, fluid leaking and the driver side axle has popped out. This is very frustrating. I guess I am going to have to take it to the dealership to have them assess the damage on the differential. If damage is minimal, is there a good way to fix it without replacing the entire unit? Has anyone gotten by without replacing the diff? Just looking at what my options are at this point.

Also, am I hurting anything more by continuing to drive?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
$1200 for the new upgraded version of the front diff and 2 hours to install. If you have tools, you can DIY or any 4x4 mechanic can do it easily. Beware of high parts and labor prices at the dealer. The upgrades include a stronger housing and enhanced resistance to half shaft ejection.

Some people get by with just replacing C-clips $4 and reinstalling half shaft.

There is the possibility of further damage by driving because the hubs are always engaged, thus the shafts in the front diff always spin, even in 2wd. For example the splines on the half shaft might be damaged.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks best,

Il try to find a 4x4 guy to take it to. If It is possible, I will try the c-clip route, and if that does not work I will know that I will need a new front diff. I read somewhere that there are redesigned c clips. Anyone have a part # for those? Recently moved to St. Lawrence County, NY if anyone knows a good 4x4 shop, let me know.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Differential is Toast... I have joined the long list of others who have lost their front diff. Local shop checked it out for me and discovered the splines ground down and gears messed up inside. I had a feeling it would not be a simple fix. Called a couple dealers for quotes on the diff. Since I have the Big Tow, does that need a different differential? I guess there are two different part numbers and I did not have the VIN on hand to verify which one I need. One of them was 1200 and the other was around 1500. How many hours should a shop be charging for labor? I am debating on whether or not this is a job that should be done at the dealership. Also, the local shop quoted me 1250 for a used differential! Good thing I am doing my home work.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
www.courtesyparts.com

Paste 38500-A60004 into the part number search box and then click SUBMIT

But yes, I would call them with the VIN to confirm.

2 hours is plenty for a shop with a lift.

You want to make sure you get the correct axle ratio. 3.36 for the Big Tow package

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it necessary to get new half shafts as well? I am not an expert in this large of a repair and I thought that I read a post somewhere that suggested new half shafts that should not pop out as easily. It is possible that they were referring to rebuilding a diff.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
The new diff comes complete with the upgraded half shafts that have flanges that will bolt up to your CVs. If you find a decent shop that does things at a reasonable price, you might have them replace the U-joints on the front drive shaft since they have to unbolt the drive shaft anyway. The Spicer sealed (w/o grease zerks) go for about $17 each and there are two of them on the front drive shaft.

·
Registered
146 Posts
its been a while since i posted last, but ive had this same issue, me beeing a tech with accsess to a lift found the issue right away it started with me left axle i popped it back in by hand while it was in the air and i havnt had a problem with it ever since, but because I didnt realize there was even a problem till it started snowing who knows how long it was like that, my fluid was silver, I was bummed, I replaced the fluid and leaned on the axle with a huge pry bar it stayed in place, then last week it snowed yet again, I heard a loud bang and my 4x4 was once again not working, I checked the left axle and found it still in place...it was my right side this time, the only diffrence was that i was stuck in my driveway so I got on my back in the snow (thank god I had a pry bar and a large hammed with me for ice removal) after fighting with it for 30 mins it went back in. no problems since, thats my experince with this issue. Figured id share. my question is....is it possible at all that a 2" leveling kit could make this issue worse or help the axle enough to cause it to pop out, im not about to spend $1200 for a upgraded unit. ive dummped enough money into it lol. thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
It happens to both leveled and bone stock. I think snow creates uneven conditions that allows maximum suspension droop that helps things along. Also, cold temps may shrink parts enough so that they pull out easier.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I dunno man, all I do know is if anyone hears a loud pop and then your 4x4 stops working dont bother wondering what it is lol, so not only does the pre 07' (i think) rear end suck on the titan, but apparently so do the c clips holding in the front axles....i threw in a tru-trac for the rear, what about the front?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I dunno man, all I do know is if anyone hears a loud pop and then your 4x4 stops working dont bother wondering what it is lol, so not only does the pre 07' (i think) rear end suck on the titan, but apparently so do the c clips holding in the front axles....i threw in a tru-trac for the rear, what about the front?
The pre 06 case is weak and prone to cracking under load in 4x4 reverse.

The pre 06 front diff can be rebuilt w/ updated half shafts, side gears & clips per a post by a mechanic toward the end of the Front Axle Failer thread. But that retains the weak case. So the best solution is an updated diff with stronger case and better half shaft side gears & clips. The downside is that is $1200, but it is pretty easy to install. You could also be on the lookout for a good deal on a good low miles 06+ used front diff with the correct axle ratio.

Arb had announced plans for a front locker, but that has never happened. One guy posted that he called Dana and was told that the aluminum case could not handle a locker. Superior just came out with gears for the front, it will be interesting to see how the front diff stands up to gears + big tires. The entire situation sucks, as you can, for example, buy Ford 9" third members loaded with gears and a Trutrac for about $1500 that will handle 1000+ hp. Yet all we get for that is an eggshell open diff.

·
Registered
146 Posts
thanks for the info man, at least now im not freaking out thinking it is my leveling kit causing it, cause due to my oversized tires they wouldnt fit if I had to take it out :bangit:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update, I have called around and it looks like I have 2 options for a replacement front diff. I can buy a new one for around 1300 or for roughly the same price, I can get a used one from a 2006 put in with a lifetime warranty with free shipping. I am leaning towards the 06, but would like to hear opinions from others. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts