1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
:confused: hey the titan is my 1st 4x4 vehicle one reason I purchased it 4x4 was for safety like when is raining real bad or ice on the road, does this mean I should not used the hi4x4 on this conditions...:confused: ?

:eyebrow: the other main reason is too off road:grunge: :thedevil:

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Great Info Tillery. I think this should be a sticky!! I will submit it to one of the mods and see if we can get it as a sticky.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
d0va said:
:confused: hey the titan is my 1st 4x4 vehicle one reason I purchased it 4x4 was for safety like when is raining real bad or ice on the road, does this mean I should not used the hi4x4 on this conditions...:confused: ?

:eyebrow: the other main reason is too off road:grunge: :thedevil:
DOva-raining real bad-no! 4WD does not stop hydroplaning so slowing down is the best way to manage that. Same is true for ice.

A locked differential will be supplying power to both wheels meaning if one slips, both are spinning and still not giving you the traction.

Snow, mud, sand are conditions for 4WD.

Your VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) is a good device for preventing slippage-in rain/snow so leave it on! The system is there to help keep you on your steered path. If your Titan should start to oversteer (fishtail) or understeer (plow forward), VDC will reduce engine power and/or apply braking pressure to specific wheels to help keep you on course.

4-wheel Limited Slip (ABLS) applies braking force to a wheel that's losing traction while directing power to the wheels with a better grip.

Those two systems are your best bet when managing ice/rain. If you are on ice 4WD will help ONLY IF you reduce speed and prevent tires from losing traction.:kiss:

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Kronos1965 said:
DOva-raining real bad-no! 4WD does not stop hydroplaning so slowing down is the best way to manage that. Same is true for ice.

A locked differential will be supplying power to both wheels meaning if one slips, both are spinning and still not giving you the traction.

Snow, mud, sand are conditions for 4WD.

Your VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) is a good device for preventing slippage-in rain/snow so leave it on! The system is there to help keep you on your steered path. If your Titan should start to oversteer (fishtail) or understeer (plow forward), VDC will reduce engine power and/or apply braking pressure to specific wheels to help keep you on course.

4-wheel Limited Slip (ABLS) applies braking force to a wheel that's losing traction while directing power to the wheels with a better grip.

Those two systems are your best bet when managing ice/rain. If you are on ice 4WD will help ONLY IF you reduce speed and prevent tires from losing traction.:kiss:
thanks for that info :cheers:
:paranoid: not sure about :kiss::bang: LOL

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
DOva what Kronos is saying is NO don't use 4wd on the wet or dry pavement. Some snowy/ice conditions yes, mud yes, sandy roads yes. NOT ON ASPHALT. If you do you will break something eventually.

Some Jeeps have a full time 4wd that allows you to stay on 4wd all the time. My Grand CH had it and it was great.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Well I use mine on pavement every so often, just to engauge and disengauge it if I have not been offroad. I try to go in a straight line as well (not make turns when I do this). Guess I won't do it anymore....But I can't say i will totaly stop, every so often I may cross a paved road while offroading :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
Well I use mine on pavement every so often, just to engauge and disengauge it if I have not been offroad. I try to go in a straight line as well (not make turns when I do this). Guess I won't do it anymore....But I can't say i will totaly stop, every so often I may cross a paved road while offroading :p
I agree, on this one. If I'm on the interstate, below the rated speed, I will engage 4 hi for 5 - 10 mi. In NO way would I ever drive in/ arround town with 4 engaged, or for long periods on pavement...... I use my truck for mostly getting fire wood in places I don't want to get stuck.... I Have done this on occasion, about every 3-4 mo when I haven't been off roading in a while.

I have worked on USAF C-130s for 22 years as an allison/ rolls-royce engine mech. One thing I have learned is that if it isn't used it breaks. I understand the whole bind/ wrap/ pinch..... I like to make sure that its a nice straight stretch.

And just to piggyback on the shatted front diff post, I will attach a rope/ tow strap to the rear receiver (with my SO seated with it in 4 low and foot off of the brake and maybe slight throttle) when Im cutting a tree in a tight area, to ensure it falls in the right direction!
My .02 on this one........

Reactions: TheeKB

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hate to tell an aircraft mechanic this but, that wasn't a front diff that was a transfer case. That is what takes most of the stress from this kind of abuse (4x4 dry). Also another reason some four wheeler and drag racers use small u joints. They work like fuses and sre much cheaper to replace than axles and transfer cases. Just remember when servicing your truck always check for a loose nut behind the steering wheel. Fixing that helps prevent serious damage to your truck!

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
the problem that i run into is that on the residential roads around my house the streets are covered in snow, then i go on a main road it will have been salted & completely dry, with some icy patches here & there. if i'm only gonna be on the main road for a couple blocks, i'll leave it in 4x4 just to avoid constantly switching back & forth. should i leave it, or switch all the time?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Lurchdubious said:
the problem that i run into is that on the residential roads around my house the streets are covered in snow, then i go on a main road it will have been salted & completely dry, with some icy patches here & there. if i'm only gonna be on the main road for a couple blocks, i'll leave it in 4x4 just to avoid constantly switching back & forth. should i leave it, or switch all the time?
I would not worry too much in this case, jsut be aware that you should not be in 4x4 on road if possible. I left mien of for a few miles before on accident.

·
Registered
65 Posts
VingTsun_Titan said:
sprintn said:
I agree, on this one. If I'm on the interstate, below the rated speed, I will engage 4 hi for 5 - 10 mi.
Really? I thought you should be at a pretty slow speed to engage 4x4. You must be going 50-60 when you're engaging 4 wheel drive. Is that safe?
I'm a firefighter that drives a Distict Chief to fire calls in the city all the time. The dept. bought both Ford f-350,s and chev 2500's (although I feel like half a man behind the wheel of those things), and on calls, when its ugly out,I have shifted to 4 by at 75mph with not problems.

As for how good it is for the truck I dont know but if a Ford and a Chevy can do it a Titan should have no problem:cheers:

·
Banned
22 Posts
u shud never ever use 4x4 on pavement unless in snow but its also good to use ure 4x4 every once and while so u dunt lock up the transfercase which can be very costly

·
Registered
197 Posts
350chevytruck said:
u shud never ever use 4x4 on pavement unless in snow but its also good to use ure 4x4 every once and while so u dunt lock up the transfercase which can be very costly
What language is this? :gay:

1 - 20 of 102 Posts