Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ijust bought a 05 titan 4x4 offroad package, when disingage it from 4x4 to 2 wheel drive the little truck in my dash flashes for a bit (the front tires and the tranny) as im driving whats goin on ? is it just the 4x4 dissingaging? thanks alot guys for the help.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
To answer your question, well i can't but i have noticed the same thing. I use my 4wd alot and have found if you just slow down or come to a quick little stop it stops flashing. I have come to think it has to do with the wheels slipping or sliding. Hell, i dont know.:huh:

·
Registered
315 Posts
it will blink until it disengages. Mine blinks while I let off the gas to click it out but as soon as ur accelerate a bit again it should go off. IT is normal. to flash but only for a few seconds or so.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
if your going from 2hi to 4hi then you can switch on the fly...... meaning you can switch it while you are traveling atleast 20mph or more. if you are going from 2hi or 4hi to 4lo then you must switch your truck to the nuetral position and then turn on 4lo and repeat process when taking it off of 4lo. the little truck will blink a couple of times untill you get going again and it should stop after a short while

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
it will blink until it disengages. Mine blinks while I let off the gas to click it out but as soon as ur accelerate a bit again it should go off. IT is normal. to flash but only for a few seconds or so.
Thats kinda what i thought that it was still disengaging, i just didnt know why it hesitated to do it. Its just one of those things that bugs me or worries me. Good to know they all do it. All this talk of locking 'em in makes me want to. Heck i was lookn for something to do today. Got an idea now. Happy 4 wheeling.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
hey ijust bought a 05 titan 4x4 offroad package, when disingage it from 4x4 to 2 wheel drive the little truck in my dash flashes for a bit (the front tires and the tranny) as im driving whats goin on ? is it just the 4x4 dissingaging? thanks alot guys for the help.
All normal. The front diff will disenguage faster if you're driving a straight line and just blip the throttle once or twice. Our trucks hubs are always locked so backing up won't do anything either. You're only disconnecting the front diff when switching from 4WD. Just let some pressure off the dif by letting off the throttle of blipping it and it'll switch quickly.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help. i kinda thought it was just dissingaging i just wanted to make sure since i just bought the truck. as for switching it into 4low i saw in the manual that u have to stop and put the truck into N. Thanks for the help guys!!!!

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Normal. however, when you switch from 4hi to 2wd it will blink because it's still in 4wd. The easy way to get it out of 4wd is to turn off 4wd right before you get onto dry land. The front tires need to slip and rotate at a different speed than the back wheels. An easy way to tell is if driving down a snow coverd road, turn it into 4wd, goes in just fine, put it back in 2wd while still driving, and tap the gas a little bit, it will come out oalmost instantly. Or if you turn it off before you start to turn (on a gravel road, snow, ice, anything slick!) it will unlock from 4wd instantly.

And even if going down the road, if you switch gears, between 2-3rd gear, it will disengage.

Funny story: I was coming back from Craig (4hr drive one way) with two motors and a tranny in the bed of my truck. Got stuck in traffic on the side of a mountain. Well my buddy was interested in the Titan, we were in stop and go traffic..took us over 4hrs to go 2 miles...and so I started telling him features of the truck. Explained how easy it was to switch into 4wd on the fly (he has an old truck, manual option, never owned a new truck). And well i put it back into 2wd.. yeah I was stuck in 4wd the whole time going up this mountain, under load, on dry pavement. Burned half a tank of gas LOL and I couldn't do anything. Stuck in the left lane, I would try to leave a gap, floor it, but going upgrade, underload, in 4wd I couldn't get into high enough speed to unlock from 4wd :(

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
Funny story: I was coming back from Craig (4hr drive one way) with two motors and a tranny in the bed of my truck. Got stuck in traffic on the side of a mountain. Well my buddy was interested in the Titan, we were in stop and go traffic..took us over 4hrs to go 2 miles...and so I started telling him features of the truck. Explained how easy it was to switch into 4wd on the fly (he has an old truck, manual option, never owned a new truck). And well i put it back into 2wd.. yeah I was stuck in 4wd the whole time going up this mountain, under load, on dry pavement. Burned half a tank of gas LOL and I couldn't do anything. Stuck in the left lane, I would try to leave a gap, floor it, but going upgrade, underload, in 4wd I couldn't get into high enough speed to unlock from 4wd :(
Same thing happens to me when I'm pulling a trailer and need 4x4. Getting out of 4Hi is a problem almost every time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've noticed on mine, when I switched from 4 hi to 2wd while having the throttle pushed in, just taking your foot off the gas for a second lets the 4x4 disengage almost immediately.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have the same issues. With mine when I switch it back from 4hi to 2hi it will not disengage the 4wd until I put it in reverse, or go VERY slow with no load. If you are on a snowy highway and then the road becomes clear, it will not come out of 4wd until I slow to a crawl, which is not possible on the highway. It is a real PITA. I am actually taking it in to the dealer for that issue this evening.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts