Nissan Titan Forum banner

4x4 Slow Turn Issue

6K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  dankball 
#1 ·
A couple days ago I put my 2018 in 4hi for the first time as the roads were a little snowy/icy. When I park (or any slow, hard turn) it makes a significant “groaning” noise and sputters...stop/go/stop/go. This happens every time, all directions- forward, reverse, left, right. I happened to be stopping by the dealer to pick up a part and mentioned it to the service rep. He said this is totally normal for Titans and if anything g was wrong with the diff the dash would light up. Anyone else experience this?

#2 ·
That doesn't sound right. This isn't a solid axle front end. While you shouldn't turn sharp in 4Hi, especially under load, it will do it.

I could get some binding in 4Lo, which didn't make any sense because the front axle didn't have a clue if the differential was in 4Hi or 4Lo.

Take the service writer for a ride to show them the problem. Then have them take you in a Titan on the lot to see if it does the same thing.

#6 ·
Bucking might be wheel hop. I've had that on my Titan and now my F-350. It's something to do with traction. I don't understand it, mainly because it happens infrequently for me. But it does make it seem like there is something wrong with the truck, but it's just a traction issue.

#7 ·
It might be wheel hop but I don't think it is. I've felt that in other cars (front wheel drive car with too much torque) and I don't think it's that. The power to the wheels literally cuts on & off from what I'm feeling. And it makes a pretty significant noise as I start to turn the wheel. I'm thinking it's something out of the ordinary and I think I'm going to do what you suggested...have a service tech hop in with me and tell me if it's normal.

#8 ·
If you're trying to turn on dry pavement or wet pavement in 4WD you will get what you're describing as the front wheels are pulling in different directions. The only time you should be turning sharply in 4WD is if you don't have complete traction to the front wheels so that way one can spin a little more/less than the other.

#12 ·
I see. This all makes sense. So if 4x4 is needed for regular driving on a given day (snow, ice, etc) it would be best for me to turn it off before I pull into a parking lot? Is that what you guys normally so in that situation? I live in PA so I'm sure it's a situation I will encounter a bit through the winter. Thanks for helping out a four wheel drive noob:geek:

#13 ·
I switch between 4Hi and 2WD on the fly a lot while driving in snowy/icy conditions. I've found it to engage/disengage more smoothly when moving dead straight forward or backward. Just pay attention to the roads, and if you're in a plowed/salted area you can probably stay in 2WD. Continued use of 4WD while not needed can bind up the driveline and cause issues with your transfer case.

Attachments

Reactions: vector6
#14 ·
Yes, I turn off 4x4 mode to make a tight turn. I was driving up a series of switchbacks last weekend. When I got to each turn I switched to 4x2 just before making the turn, then back to 4x4 after the turn. If the conditions were worse I would have left it in 4x4 and made multiple small turns, backing up as needed.

#15 ·
Something LaxDfns15 said reminded me to tell you that even though you have tow hooks on the front of your truck, do not use them to pull someone else out. Those tow hooks are for pulling YOU out. There are a number of documented cases of Titans in 4Hi or (worse) in 4Lo trying to pull someone out using the front tow hooks of the Titan. The front differential simply isn't made for that kind of stress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.