Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread, I was told that our trucks don't have any kind of disconnect for the 4x4 system except for the transfer case. Is that true? Every 4x4 I've had before has had either manual/auto hubs or a center axle disconnect. So on our Titans, both axle's and the diff are connected together and turning at all times? They all have Dana axle's? What model? One final question. I see a lot of talk about Trac Lock diffs. How are these different than Detroit Locker's? Can we use Detroit Locker's?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,417 Posts
The Pawnbroker said:
In another thread, I was told that our trucks don't have any kind of disconnect for the 4x4 system except for the transfer case. Is that true? Every 4x4 I've had before has had either manual/auto hubs or a center axle disconnect. So on our Titans, both axle's and the diff are connected together and turning at all times? They all have Dana axle's? What model? One final question. I see a lot of talk about Trac Lock diffs. How are these different than Detroit Locker's? Can we use Detroit Locker's?
You are correct-both axles and differentials are connected and turn all the time. (I wish Warn made a hub for us!)

Detroit True Tracs are mechanical LSDs-I have one and love it!

You certainly can install a Detroit Locker-it will require an overhaul of your axle...:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info so far. What's the difference in the way the Detroit Locker operates compared to the True Trac? I always thought that the Detroit worked like a ratchet allowing the inside? wheel to "ratchet". How does a "mechanical" limited slip work? Finally, what exactly is the difference between the install of the Detroit Locker vs the True Trac?

Thanks for all the help,

Dave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
The Pawnbroker said:
Thanks for the info so far. What's the difference in the way the Detroit Locker operates compared to the True Trac? I always thought that the Detroit worked like a ratchet allowing the inside? wheel to "ratchet". How does a "mechanical" limited slip work? Finally, what exactly is the difference between the install of the Detroit Locker vs the True Trac?

Thanks for all the help,

Dave.
Limited slip

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential4.htm

Locker principle

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential6.htm

The TrueTrack is not a clutch type, but a gear mechanism. The general principle of limited slip is the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for those links. I hadn't seen them before and they had good info. Sounds like the True Trac is the way to go. I think I'll go that route very soon. What's everyone using in the front? The ABS limited slip that these use in the rear doesn't work up front does it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,417 Posts
The Pawnbroker said:
Thanks for those links. I hadn't seen them before and they had good info. Sounds like the True Trac is the way to go. I think I'll go that route very soon. What's everyone using in the front? The ABS limited slip that these use in the rear doesn't work up front does it?
Your VDC Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) is an automatic system that helps improve vehicle stability by automatically engaging brake pressure and/or engine torque.

The ABLS works all around when braking.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
Kronos1965 said:
Your VDC Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) is an automatic system that helps improve vehicle stability by automatically engaging brake pressure and/or engine torque.

The ABLS works all around when braking.
ABLS works in 2wd and 4WD hi and lo, although ABS is disabled in 4WDlo.
When you apply the brakes yourself ABLS does not work, which makes sense.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top