Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the North East and Have a steep Driveway. I routinely need four wheel drive to get to my house. The past few times I have used my four wheel drive, the moment I step out of the truck I smell something burnt, and before I can trace it to the source it's gone. My first insitinct placed it as an electrical smell, but I really don't know. I've never smelled anything quite like it before. It's definitely not rubber or brake. and it is definitely new, last winter it never happened.
I figured it was worth a shot to see if anyone else has had the same issue.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just finnished a day of 4x4 use during a storm. at the end of the day i noticed a burning smell that i have never noticed before. Did you ever find out what the problem was?

·
Premium Member
21,648 Posts
The transfer case is not cooled like the transmission is. The fluid in my transfer case was changed at 1,000 miles and then again at 33,000 miles. During the last change the fluid looked pretty dark. Maybe you're burning the fluid? Open the fill plug on the back of the transfer case and take a whiff.

Reactions: Rescue Titan 307

·
Registered
372 Posts
I get that smell also when im plowing and pushing the truck hard.
Im thinking some gear oil might be spitting out of the vent tube of the front diff onto the exhaust pipe?????

Reactions: Rescue Titan 307

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just a follow up to the problem that i was having. I took my Titan into the shop and it turns out that the part that conects the CV axle to the front diff (Differential Side Flange) slid out of the diff by an inch, thus comprimising the oil seal. I ended up leaking diff oil when the truck was in motion. The oil was splashing either of the ground as i drove or being blown onto the exaust pipes behind it giving me the burning oil smell that i would only smell when the truck was driving or hot.

There was a small O ring clip (#16 on diagram) that keeps this part in that was weak and the part slid out. it was an easy fix. My mechanic just reshaped the o ring clip and re inserted the part into the front diff. the part clipped in as it should and that was the end of that. no more burning smell or oil leakage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts