Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here is the deal I am finalizing my titan with a great dealer in my town( thx to LastHurrah). But I have a question I plan on getting an se, crew, off road (for stability reasons), and big tow(like the mirrors for better visbility), fosgate, captain, bed extender

the question is 4x4 or 4x2????

what are the benefits to 4x4 (I dont have a boat), but I live near tahoe so snow driving may be a possibility, but not very often.

I dont have a boat, and I plan on keeping the vehicle for a long while(72 month loan)--so resale is not an issue.

So truck owners please help me out as I have never had a truck, I amn coming up froma mustang--how important is 4x4.

·
Registered
33 Posts
4x4 Is one of those things you are happy to have when you need it, but never think of it until then.

For me, it's about price. Is 4x4 in your budget? If so, I would go for it. If you are in tahoe and it's snowing, would you rather have the CHP wave you through because of your 4x4 or spend a good while in the snow putting chains on.

Just my $.02 :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
get the 4x4

since you're already getting the "Big Tow" and the "Off Road" Packages which will have the lower final drive ratio that yields more power, but uses more gas, you might as well be complete with a 4x4 drive train.

if you're towing or driving on snowed or iced roads, you'll want the 4x4.
you'll be able to charge more if you sell and you still get to use the (4wd) while you own.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
If there is a slight chance you'll ever do anything besides drive back and forth to work in the Titan, get 4x4.

If there is a slight chance you'll ever drive in snow, get 4x4.

IMHO, the only trucks that have any business being 4x2 are dedicated fair weather tow rigs and work/company trucks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had to have 4x4 ( at least I tell my self) because here in Pa we get at least several major snow storms a year. If I lived in a warmer climit I would never need it since I rarely drive offroad. If you only go through 2 or 3 minor snows a year I not get 4x4. How much snow are we talking about? I normally drive my Titan in up to an inch or so of snow before just leaving it in 4x4. It handles fairly well for a rear wheel drive truck, at least compared to my dads chevy 1500. You also must to decide if you NEED to go to work or elsewhere even if there is snow on the road. If not or you get less than an inch of snow normally then go with 4x2. If so then get 4x4. Shawn :)

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I keep thinking of the snow issue. Lake Tahoe, CA gets alot of snow, ( I am in Sac-no snow) but I wont be going out there alot. maybe once or twice a year if even that.

I heard from a FORD dealer ( I know this may be crap), but he said that because of the supsension being in line with the frame as opposed to spread out at an angle, that people are experiencing bouncing at high speeds? anyone have this problem?? I ddint feel it on my test driveina 4x2, but that was just a test not long term

·
Registered
60 Posts
to be 4X4 or not to be 4X4

smoketitan said:
Okay here is the deal I am finalizing my titan with a great dealer in my town( thx to LastHurrah). But I have a question I plan on getting an se, crew, off road (for stability reasons), and big tow(like the mirrors for better visbility), fosgate, captain, bed extender

what are the benefits to 4x4 (I dont have a boat), but I live near tahoe so snow driving may be a possibility, but not very often.

I dont have a boat, and I plan on keeping the vehicle for a long while(72 month loan)--so resale is not an issue.

So truck owners please help me out as I have never had a truck, I amn coming up from a mustang--how important is 4x4.
Living 150 miles north of you with mountains (and winter snow) on 3 sides the 4X4 was an easy decision for me. Since you are already getting the off-road, the 4X4 would be a natural addition to enable you to go anywhere you want to; especially if you ever get the urge to investigate the hundreds of miles of non-paved scenic roads in Northern California!

·
Registered
60 Posts
High speed bouncing? Not mine.

smoketitan said:
Yeah I keep thinking of the snow issue. Lake Tahoe, CA gets alot of snow, ( I am in Sac-no snow) but I wont be going out there alot. maybe once or twice a year if even that.

I heard from a FORD dealer ( I know this may be crap), but he said that because of the supsension being in line with the frame as opposed to spread out at an angle, that people are experiencing bouncing at high speeds? anyone have this problem?? I ddint feel it on my test driveina 4x2, but that was just a test not long term
Just got back from my first trip (to Oregon) in the Titan and did not notice any problem with excess bouncing at high speed. Drove mostly 65-70 miles an hour but some up to 85-90 just to see how it handled and had no problem. In fact I was very pleased with the ride. As far as bounce it seemed to me about the same as my Camry.

·
Registered
109 Posts
regular truck

smoketitan said:

So truck owners please help me out as I have never had a truck, I amn coming up froma mustang--how important is 4x4.
You should get one or the other based on how/where you drive. 4x4 just costs more but if you need it or want to get into off-roading by all means you should get it. That you're asking probably means you don't. Im in Western Washington, and all they stock is 4x4 - because we're all hunting, fishing and lumberjacking all the time up here you know - so I got mine (2wd) elsewhere. 4x4 is handy, but I might/conceivably/possibly/somehow/maybe need it 2 times a year so its just not worth the added expense(s) and maintenance for me. If you're not sure you probably don't need it - save your money.

·
Registered
154 Posts
GET IT. Thats my vote.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As long as it's a Titan!

smoketitan said:
thx "hurrah" your delaer is indeed a great guy, he is working with me on this hard to decide truck
Glad it's working out for you. Hesitate to recommend based on one experience; but all I can say is I was very pleased.

Option choices are tough; would be easier if we couldn't order and just had to pick one off the lot! But, as long as the first option is "Titan" any additional set of options works great!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are comfortable with driving your mustang in bad weather than a 4x2 truck should not cause you any concern. During this past winter I was able to get around in 6"-10" of snow in the POS 4x2 work truck with snow tires and weight over the rear axle. I'm sure by next winter the Tirerack will have a steel wheel and snow tire combo for the Titan at a good price.

A 4x4 truck gives you lots of confidence with poor traction but is no guarantee that you will not get stuck. Proper driving technique is still very important. During this past winter driving through snowy ID, I easily saw a dozen AWD and 4x4 vehicles on the side of the road stuck in a snowbank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
4x4 of course

We dont get much snow here in Ft.Worth but we do get lots of rain at times.After getting stuck at the lake in slimey mud I didn't even have to think about it!Spread the cost of it out over five years,and it doesn't add on that much.

·
Registered
152 Posts
IMO, 4x4 is like an umbrella or life insurance. If you don't already have it and find you need it, it's too late.

I used to live in the snow belt and now there's nothing better than off roading by Red Rocks in Sedona or tossing your mountain bikes into the truck, heading 40 miles into the desert and then cycling into some incredibly scenic spot.

If you can afford it, get it. That day you want it, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Smoketitan-

I also live in Sac. What dealership are you working with? I've been eyeing Titans for a little while and wondering what offers the dealership has extended to you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You could dump the tow package and the off Road package, and buy your own rim/tire later if money is a concern, but I would get the 4x4, just cause it's a truck man!

Heck I downgraded to an XE just so I could afford the 4x4!

I ordered a Class III hitch for $153 bucks, which tow anything I plan on for awhile, even with the higher gear ratio.

Anyway Enjoy!

·
Registered
67 Posts
smoketitan said:
Man I love this place. thx for the input, I am just going to eat it and get the 4x4--just in case

late
Good for you, wish I had asked this group about the upgraded radio, seats and pwr pedals before I went on the cheap! 4X2 works for me in Atlanta but limits my travel in winter months. There are several mountains between here and Nashville. Nothing would be more painful then having a 4 cyld Toyota 4x4 pulling my baby from a ditch!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AaronC said:
Smoketitan-

I also live in Sac. What dealership are you working with? I've been eyeing Titans for a little while and wondering what offers the dealership has extended to you.

pmed ya

late

1 - 20 of 20 Posts