Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is very snowy here in Colorado tonight and for the first time since I have had my titan (just over a month now) I tried putting it in 4hi and it did not seem to enable the 4x4 mode as when the wheels where spinning only one wheel was spinning. I put it in neutral and pressed on the brake then put it in 4Lo. Still only one wheel was spinning. I was waiting each time until I saw the indicator light flashing. I tried each time putting it in the 4hi or 4lo and going forward and backwards a couple feet to try and make sure it was engaged. After all of this I still only had one wheel spinning. I tried flipping the switch to lock the rear differential, this seemed to work as I then had two wheels spinning.

I did notice by the odometer the little diagram of the truck the front wheels and transmission indicator was flashing like the 4x4 or 4Lo indicator lights.

Question is, if the lights are flashing it is not engaged at that time right?

Thank to there being a huge amount of snow I have been able to toy around with this trying to get the 4x4 mode to engage. I havent been able to get any kind of a 4x4 mode at al tonight, any hints for more things to try to get my 4x4 mode working?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Check to see that the flanges that bolt the CV shafts to the front diff are not pulling out. The stub shafts attached to these flanges terminate in splined ends that are held in engagement only by C-clips that were very prone to disengaging until they improved the front diff in 2006. This typically happens most often on the driver side and you may see a gear oil leak around the flange on the side of the diff.

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
If your spinning the wheel(s) the 4 wheel drive will not engage. Try to engage it without any pressure on the system. So BEFORE you think the snow will get deep and while your rolling freely try to engage it. 4lo will only engage if your stopped and put it in neutral...i may be wrong on that part though. 4lo you can easily feel it engage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you are correct, stopped, neutral, foot on brake. You might find the instructions on the driver side visor.
I tried this also, still no go.

Im going to take it in to the dealer and have them take a look at it.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I tried this also, still no go.

Im going to take it in to the dealer and have them take a look at it.
humm weird... the 4lo intructions that they gave you here are pretty acurate..

Check to see that the flanges that bolt the CV shafts to the front diff are not pulling out. The stub shafts attached to these flanges terminate in splined ends that are held in engagement only by C-clips that were very prone to disengaging until they improved the front diff in 2006. This typically happens most often on the driver side and you may see a gear oil leak around the flange on the side of the diff.
humm very interesting... i didnt know this.. any way to upgrade this to an 04 CC

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
humm very interesting... i didnt know this.. any way to upgrade this to an 04 CC
I think somebody measured and the 06 diff housing is a little bit wider (and has additional reinforcement ribbing). I think they also used a little bit stronger clips, which are cheap, around $4, but which may require unbolting the CV shafts from the side flanges and dropping the diff in order to pull the stub shafts to install the clips. The shaft pulling out tends to happen when it is cold out and the suspension goes to full droop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts