Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I do it?

3 dirt bikes in the bed, 700 or so pounds. 3 people, 500 pounds, gear who knows plus a 5000 pound travel trailer... will my 08 CC BT LWB be able to handle it? My guess is yes. I just want to make sure i dont want to have the truck rip in half.

I dont know where to go to find out tow specs or anything, towing is not really a reason i got the titan, so never really researched it, oops :)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
:cheers: Yes, you can. I loaded 3 dirt bikes, a generator and cooler in the back with a bed extender and towed a 7k lb TT from Oregon to Utah and back.
She was made for this, man!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CoachBoone said:
:cheers: Yes, you can. I loaded 3 dirt bikes, a generator and cooler in the back with a bed extender and towed a 7k lb TT from Oregon to Utah and back.
She was made for this, man!
excellent!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sure you can do anything you want. You will be way over the gross weight of the truck. I would think you would be 500lbs or more over the gvwr by the time you figure real weights. It really dosen't make for a nice towing experience if you have a choice. This is what they make 3/4 and 1 ton trucks for, real towing. Hopefully Nissan will come out with a heavier truck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Where are you headed? Glamis or Dumont form San Jose wont be a problem cause its relatively flat, but id keep your speed at or under 70. Shell purr like a kitten, just make sure the radiator is full and keep an eye on the trans temp gauge on any long uphills.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heading up about 200 miles north. mostly freeway, not sure how much hill climbing there will be!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Your truck will do just fine.... Have a great time....

·
Registered
85 Posts
No problem. I towed a 7k lb toy hauler last weekend. No trouble at all.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
The total weight won't be an issue(truck, load and trailer), but you could be overloading the trucks max weight rating...Of course you got the tow package with the higher payload rating right?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
loufish said:
The total weight won't be an issue(truck, load and trailer), but you could be overloading the trucks max weight rating...Of course you got the tow package with the higher payload rating right?
Yes i did! Maybe i'll make sure all passengers take a big poo before we head off! :jester:

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Yes i did! Maybe i'll make sure all passengers take a big poo before we head off!
Your trucks GVW will be maxed out, but I'm going to give you the "Thumbs Up"....BUT only after all the poo-ing...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I towed a 5700 lbs dry trailer which was probably about 7000 lbs with gear, 2 dirt bikes, 2 dogs, generator, 2 persons and a ton of crap up above 10,000 ft in the rockies no problem. I just kept it at about 60 mph and downshifted manually for the hills. This truck hauls. I just baby it and watch the gauges. Have fun!

·
Super Moderator
37,331 Posts
Can you move the bikes to the trailer? if not you will be way overweight!

let me add this up for you:

TT = 400 lbs
Bikes = 700lbs
Gear = 200lbs
people = 500lbs

= 1800lbs OUCH

Move the bikes and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
392 Posts
cleoent said:
Can I do it?

3 dirt bikes in the bed, 700 or so pounds. 3 people, 500 pounds, gear who knows plus a 5000 pound travel trailer... will my 08 CC BT LWB be able to handle it? My guess is yes. I just want to make sure i dont want to have the truck rip in half.

I dont know where to go to find out tow specs or anything, towing is not really a reason i got the titan, so never really researched it, oops :)
I toyed with whether or not to post because most people think I've lost my mind with what I do with mine! I tow a 2000 Fourwinds 32BH which weighs in at 8k. I don't have BT. My truck does just fine. Just because I push mine does not mean that I can in any way reccomend it. They weight limits and capabilities are listed in the owner's manual. I climb hills with mine through the Appalachian MTNs. Just don't be afraid to let the engine sing. Tow in 4, shifting to 3 as soon as the torque converter unlocks, this will flood the tranny with freshly cooled fluid and keep it happy. Don't freak out(as others have) when the guage climbs close to or at the mark before H. If it goes to that point, downshift and watch it drop!!!!!! This will prove the rush of cooled fluid. Our trucks are happy revving in the 3k to 4k range loaded out towards the max; thirsty, but happy!!

BOTTOM LINE: I think you'll be absolutely fine. You'll need a good brake controller, maybe some kind of supplemental load support(air bags or Roadmaster Active Suspension). If you were not planning a weight distribution hitch, I would. I have the Reese brand and love it. You may also want to consider a tongue mounted anti-sway bar for the camper. Soooooooo, have a safe trip.

Just noticed that you have an 08 with the beefier axles, so no worries mate.

·
Registered
66 Posts
RobKar said:
Can you move the bikes to the trailer? if not you will be way overweight!

let me add this up for you:

TT = 400 lbs
Bikes = 700lbs
Gear = 200lbs
people = 500lbs

= 1800lbs OUCH

Move the bikes and you will be good to go.
Is there a place that you can find the limits for all versions of our trucks, on my door it says 1929lbs with a GVW of 7200lbs

·
Registered
392 Posts
ericgst said:
Is there a place that you can find the limits for all versions of our trucks, on my door it says 1929lbs with a GVW of 7200lbs
Well, they changed in 08 to a heavier capacity axle, better payload.

·
Registered
66 Posts
ok, on Nissan's website is says that a 08 Longbed 4x4 the max payload is 1,650lbs while the standard bed 4x2 is 2,013lbs

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did it!

2 dirt bikes, 2 adults, 5000lb travel trailer plus full tank of water, gear and clothes for 6 people, food etc. Average about 8 mpg. I could tell it was there, but it was fine. About 60mph average speed.

BTW- did it with nothing except the standard BT package and a ball/hitch combo. No brake controller or anti-sway stuff.

·
Super Moderator
37,331 Posts
cleoent said:
I did it!

2 dirt bikes, 2 adults, 5000lb travel trailer plus full tank of water, gear and clothes for 6 people, food etc. Average about 8 mpg. I could tell it was there, but it was fine. About 60mph average speed.

BTW- did it with nothing except the standard BT package and a ball/hitch combo. No brake controller or anti-sway stuff.
I am glad that you live up there and don't get down to San Diego... NO BRAKE CONTROLLER????? not only are you not legal but in a panic stop you are deadly to you, your family, and the guy you run into. Pay the $100 and at the very least get a brake controller. Its not worth it even if the A$$ cut you off and you cant stop!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts