Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This past weekend I installed the Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks on my 2008 4x4.

Install:
The install was really straight forward having looked up some of threads just to get an idea of other members info and experiences. Since there is a bunch of info on the site and the search function will provide access to it I will just post my pictures and experience.

I was quite amazed at how much forced is required to compress those springs. The compressor was set at 120 psi and the rods were barely moving at the very end, Sketchy, that's all I can say! We started by using my Father-in-laws springs. We saw the threaded rods begin to bow and didn't really want to damage his compressors. So, off to the local auto parts store. I told them I have 4x4 springs to compress and after giving them a $53 deposit [in case I didn't return them] I borrowed their's. The rods were bent on their's when they gave them to me so I didn't feel too bad about it. Besides, it was $53 if they were destroyed.

Look:
The perch is set at the middle setting and I'm happy with the look of the level. The front was raised nearly 2" based on before and after measurements. It' about an 1/8" to a 1/4" lower in the front than the rear. Close enough.

Function:
The shocks definitely perform better by a seat-of-the-pants feel. It seems they soak up the bumps quite well. I haven't had it offroad but I got a running start at some decent speed bumps and they don't make that notorious "thud" when returning to the bottom as many other's have had as well. That said, it rides firm but honestly it's what I expected, not overly harsh but it can get some bump-steer and you have to be aware of it. I just didn't want to deal with a leveling kit and coil bucket contact. To which I haven't experienced yet since I haven't been offroad. Hopefully soon. I went and had an alignment completed after without any issues. I will say the alignment was out but it seems to be in good shape now.

Pictures:
Leveled
Leveled Titan.jpg

Measurement, driver side before level
Before Leveling_Driver Front.jpg

Measurement, driver side after level
After Leveling_Driver Front.jpg

5100 Installed, middle setting
Bilstein 5100 Installed_Close.jpg

Spring compressors on 4x4 spring and bending
Spring Compressor.jpg

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
The bending combined with the fact that the safety pins won't clear the coils does not instill confidence in use of those spring compressors.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I don't recommend doing this part with rented compressors. I was nervous to say the least and would say it's worth taking it to someone to compress the springs. I was just stubborn and figured it would be quicker to do it myself.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The rented spring compressors are extremely sketchy. I have never had them slip, but one could imagine what could happen. That being said, I have broke a wall mounted compressor with 08 4x4 coils, so either way, watch the fingers.

Looks really good btw. I love the OEM 20's. Get some meatier tread to fill the wells!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to say I don't ever want to be around when a set of spring compressors let go. Yikes.

I'm a fan of the OEM 20's as well and I'm just waiting for these tires to go. I have a few thousand miles before they are finished and then on to something better. Woop!

·
Registered
67 Posts
That looks pretty darn near a perfect level to me! Looks nice. Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but I'm about to do this exact same thing to my 05 SE 4x4. I know the 08 springs are a little taller than the pre-08s, so can I expect the front to sit a little lower on my 05 with the 5100s on the middle setting?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts