Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
You can do it, though it's not common. Biggest PITA with shortboxes and fifth wheels is that you'll likely need a pricey hitch, like one of those superglides. IIRC ~$3K.

There are a few board members towing fifth wheel campers. I ran a gooseneck on my '05 short box; had to use a pin extender on the trailer to get cab clearance.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
FWIW, a B&W gooseneck hitch (turnover ball) is cheap (~$500). Maybe narrow your search to gooseneck trailers, or could be cheaper to mod the trailer pin (common) from 5'r to Goose. Bet you could do all that under $1K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked out the B&W site but their products don't allow enough room for an 8' wide travel trailer to make a tight turn. Need at least a 48'' set back from the back of the cab. There are very few gooseneck travel trailers available as well.
Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
161,472 Posts
Aside from clearance issues, the pin weight of most 5ers exceeds the carrying capacity of our trucks.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Does anyone have any experience setting up a 5th wheel hitch on a short box (57") Titan Pro4X?

I had a 29.5 foot terry creek fifthwheel that I towed with my 2011 Pro4X. Struggling to remember what hitch I had, it would slide back a foot or two for when your trying to get in tight areas. The rig was way over our rated tow capacity though I know that's for sure. Truck towed it well tho was quite surprised.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not sure what the cost is but you might be better off with something like this!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Aside from clearance issues, the pin weight of most 5ers exceeds the carrying capacity of our trucks.
True dat, even with my pin extender, I could not go a full 90 degrees with my old gooseneck trailer and my old CC. (Could do it with my KC, though). And LT tires + bags were a must.

I had a 29.5 foot terry creek fifthwheel that I towed with my 2011 Pro4X. Struggling to remember what hitch I had, it would slide back a foot or two for when your trying to get in tight areas. The rig was way over our rated tow capacity though I know that's for sure. Truck towed it well tho was quite surprised.
Indeed. Titan handled it like a champ.

I've always wondered about those!

·
Premium Member
20,940 Posts
1. Total violation of the K.I.S.S. principle
2. If you really think you need this then what you really need is a different tow vehicle
3. Usage of the device increases the amount you're towing, which means you're even further over the capacity of the Titan.
4. Some states may consider it a triple trailer situation if you use the device.

It's an interesting device, no doubt. But I think it's the wrong solution to a capacity problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts