Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have a 4wd and from what I've read on here, I can throw a custom spacer on top of the shocks up front to gain a little more lift. So I'm wondering what kind of extra lift I'd get out of that, what would the final stance be? I would like to clear 36"s if possible, and I have 17x9 moto metal 951s so I don't even know if it'd be possible with the -12 offset :( I'd kinda like to get new rims anyway though. so basically looking for insite.. I like knobby tires and will probably be looking into some type of mud terrain... PC X-MT for the cheapness and Nitto Mudd Grappler or Toyo for the sickness... not sure yet... I figure if I can get rid of my rims/tires I could get something else and I think KMC come in some better offsets, but downside is everyone has them :( I like moto 950s but don't think any moto metals come in titan favorable offsets. I think they're geared to the chevy crowd who like the tires sticking out more than in the fenders :lol: at least the chevy guys here like that... some of the toy boys too it seems... talked to a guy yesterday with an 18" wide set of rims on his solid axle tacoma... didn't even remember what width the tires were but his axle was a dana 44 so it already stuck out LOL ANYway, hoping to gain some insite as to what kind of clearance this would get, and I would prefer to buy a better offset rim so that I could get the tires I want to fit. and don't mind pinchweld cutting... thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Hawaiianbasshead said:
so I have a 4wd and from what I've read on here, I can throw a custom spacer on top of the shocks up front to gain a little more lift. So I'm wondering what kind of extra lift I'd get out of that, what would the final stance be?...
First off, you are correct, you can add the spacer to gain some extra lift, however, in order to do that, you have to also add new Upper Control Arm's(UCA) as the stock ones will interfere with the coilbuckets once you add the spacer.

Second, if you just have the "Stage 1" kit, which utilizes the stock coilover and a 6" spacer, it is NOT recommended to stack one spacer ontop of another (see pic below of what could happen). If you have an aftermarket coilover, then go ahead and get the 'custom' spacer from Greg. He reports that 1-1/2" additional lift can be gained on the Fabtech kit using this method.

For reference, I have attached a pic of the broken stock UCA from stacking spacers, as well as former site member 'SmokenMini' who had a 6" PC kit with the custom spacer, ProComp Stage 2 C/O's, and Total Chaos UCA's. This was combined with 36x13.50" Super Swampers on 20x10 Moto Metal 951's. It was a sweet setup, and I do believe he did some trimming to the pinch weld. Not certain of his backspace/offset though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
You will definately have to do some trimming around the pinch weld. You can see in my signature what I'm running and I had to do some trimming to be able to cut the wheel all the way.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
sorry, I thought I posted I'd be looking into a PRG UCA...

I'm aware you can't stack spacers. well at least I'm aware I offroad pretty hefty and wasn't the least bit interested in stacking the 6" tube and a leveling spacer both over my stock coils :lol:

main concerns were if it worked on 4wd and what tires I could clear with it :D thanks for the help thus far :D

I think 36x13.5 Irok radials are where I want to take my truck... I think I'll end up keeping the 17" rims I have on her :( maybe I'll just get whatever has the best sale if/when I do the lift LOL my sawzall could use a good workout.... so if I get rubbing I'll spend time laying on the ground for a saturday :)

I actually rub now, with my 305x65R 17s with the -12 offset 4.5" backspace moto metals with a 2wd leveling spacer... so I imagine I'll get it lifted even on only 35"s :( 5" more lift clear 4" more of tire is the question....

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I have a 4wd with the Fabtech and the UCA's. Greg made me a custom spacer that went on top of my Raflo's that gave me 3 additional inches. That is the absolute max, because of alingment issues.

IMO with this set up and the pinch weld mod, your 36's would fit.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice truck... so does 3" higher does it have any suspension limits that're too extreme for offroading or does it nail the bumpstop hard? my uca hits the coil bucket and it gets irritating sometimes. I have a 2.5" leveling kit on my 4wd and the coil bucket was ground a little but I think since my shocks are pretty crap it has less bottoming resistance or something possibly...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hawaiianbasshead said:
nice truck... so does 3" higher does it have any suspension limits that're too extreme for offroading or does it nail the bumpstop hard? my uca hits the coil bucket and it gets irritating sometimes. I have a 2.5" leveling kit on my 4wd and the coil bucket was ground a little but I think since my shocks are pretty crap it has less bottoming resistance or something possibly...
If you want less bottoming resistance you will have to get aftermarket coil overs and put some pre-load on em.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Hawaiianbasshead said:
There is still enough down travel for off roading. Since it has the aftermarket coilovers, the UCA's don't hit the coil bucket.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, I heard something like even with the spacers the bumpstops barely touch or something at full droop? dunno which bumpstop really, but figure the bottoming out will be rubber to metal and not too hard unless I catch air and the tire drops all the way down :lol:

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Hawaiianbasshead said:
yeah, I heard something like even with the spacers the bumpstops barely touch or something at full droop? dunno which bumpstop really, but figure the bottoming out will be rubber to metal and not too hard unless I catch air and the tire drops all the way down :lol:
Bumpstops do not limit travel in the downward direction. They limit the travel in the upward direction, preventing the a-arms, and shock from compressing farther than they should. On a stock Titan, the coilover shock assembly is what limits traval in the downward direction, that's why the stock coilovers don't last long. When people add the leveling spacers, they're changing the front suspension and in most cases, the coilover is still the limiting factor. There are certain 'exceptions' where the upper control arm will make contact with the coilbuckets first though. In those seldom cases, the UCA is the limiting factor--install an aftermarket PRG, TC, or NCD UCA and the shock will most definitely be the limiting factor for downward travel. Limiting straps can be installed to prevent the distance the suspension travels downwards.

A bumpstop WILL limit how far your shock can compress and in turn, limit how much 'up' travel you have. Some people have mounted "Air Bumps" to sort of cushion the very last few inches of travel so it's not so abrupt a stop, yet still limit how far the suspension can travel upward.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.