Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck has been sitting for a year, I was in Korea and my truck maybe got driven a total of 500 miles.

Anyways, noticed today my brake pedal is agetting a little spongey. And im thinking since the truck is now sporting 325/60-18 Nitto's for about 15k miles its time for a brake job.

Im a pretty mechanically inclined person. Done plenty of work on cars and trucks over the year. Done as much as total engine and tranny swaps, so im not worried about doing the brake job myself. Just curious if I should be expecting any surprises. Im used to Ford brakes that was simple 2 bolts caliper removal then new pads installed after getting the rotors turned.

Also, think I should do all 4 or just the fronts?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brake fluid absorbs water. The water can boil when the fluid gets hot. Steam in the fluid will causes a loss of hydraulic pressure and absorbed moisture will greatly reduce the boiling point.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rotors are good, im getting a slight bit of chatter out of them. I know just a turn on the lathe will clean them up nicely. I have access to a full garage with the ability to have the rotors turned right there in the garage. So I will be just doing a pad swap...

·
Vendor
209 Posts
Teh Wicked,

I wouldn't waste my time trying to turn the stock rotors. I think most everyone on the site will agree, that even those who have had the rotors turned and in some cases, replaced by Nissan. All discovered that this was a very short term resolution, to a much larger problem. With the added weight and rotating mass of your larger than stock wheels and tires. Your asking even more form your brakes. In my experience, turning the rotors only lasts for a couple thousand miles AT BEST. Then your back to square one with overheating, warping and heat cracking. Stress relieving the rotors by Cryo treating will stabilize the rotors, changing pads to Hawk LTS compounds will improve stopping performance, and greatly reduce dust, and are much more suited to higher brake pad tempatures.
This is alot less expensive than having to buy a BBK.

Hope this helps,

Keith
Frozen Rotors - High Performance Brake Pads, Brake Rotors

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I recently put the Hawk LTS pads all the way around at 40k miles. My OEM's surprisingly still had about 40-50% left on them...either way, it's an easy job and I figured I'd do the rears while I was at it. They are definitely a HUGE upgrade over stock.

I was actually surprised at how much dust they threw out at first, but after about 5k miles, that has slowed considerably and I guess should be expected out of any new pad.

·
Premium Member
58,707 Posts
IMHO, you need to address the spongy pedal. Change the brake fluid with a power bleeder. That will bleed the system and replace the fluid at the same time. If the shop you have access to doesn't have one you can buy one for about $25 from Harbor Freight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts