Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about doing this. Already bored now that its SAS'd and wanna do the diesel. Found a "low mileage" 7.3 powerstroke t444e, its actually the international version so its not out of a ford which is nice because this motor is a 2001 but still has the mechanical fuel pump.

After helping my buddy swap out his 7.3 in his 97 and quickly looking over the dimensions I bet it would fit pretty good without too much trouble and its 100% legal in my county! Only issue is I want to keep a 5 speed automatic and im not sure if a 5r110 will bolt up to a 7.3 or not. Maybe a destroked adapter and an allison 6 speed?

I would also do a few things here and there like injectors, intake, VGT turbo :) Keep my QX56 gauge cluster fully functional, 6.0 intercooler.. this and that etc..

What is your guys take on the 7.3? It would be pretty neat to be able to run bio diesel since there's a station in town that sells it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thinking about doing this. Already bored now that its SAS'd and wanna do the diesel. Found a "low mileage" 7.3 powerstroke t444e, its actually the international version so its not out of a ford which is nice because this motor is a 2001 but still has the mechanical fuel pump.

After helping my buddy swap out his 7.3 in his 97 and quickly looking over the dimensions I bet it would fit pretty good without too much trouble and its 100% legal in my county! Only issue is I want to keep a 5 speed automatic and im not sure if a 5r110 will bolt up to a 7.3 or not. Maybe a destroked adapter and an allison 6 speed?

I would also do a few things here and there like injectors, intake, VGT turbo :) Keep my QX56 gauge cluster fully functional, 6.0 intercooler.. this and that etc..

What is your guys take on the 7.3? It would be pretty neat to be able to run bio diesel since there's a station in town that sells it.
Do it!!! I always loved the 7.3L everything is crap since then. I don't know very much about this kind of modification but what would steer you away from the 12 valve 5.9L Cummins like cnalick did?

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
sickkk..7.3's last forever. plus with an allison....indestructable :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
12v cummins=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$+$$$$$$$$$$$. Just the engine alone is upwards of 2-3k. If I were to do a cummins I'd want it to be a 24v common rail. I just love messing around with newer technology. But with the 7.3 there is one locally for $300 out of a 2000 fedex truck. 130k on the odometer. It needs some piston work. but worse case i'd get another short block from my buddy who has one with some upper end issues and be set. This would give me more room up front as well for the intercooler and e-fan and this and that whereas cnallack has his intercooler out in his grille. Im not worried about width so much or height, I could just put a body lift on if needed and i dont mind cutting my inner fenders. Just parts for 7.3s are so damn cheap. Heads for $75 bucks on carpart. Even if they need to see a machine shop my friends uncle owns one. I'm pretty sure I can run that 7.3 engine off of an OBS ford wiring harness to simplify things. Maybe custom fab a crank tone wheel to read the nissan crank sensor to keep my cluster, to keep my cluster id have to keep the nissan ecu for sure. So it would be jam packed in there.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Make it happen!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
12v cummins=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$+$$$$$$$$$$$. Just the engine alone is upwards of 2-3k. If I were to do a cummins I'd want it to be a 24v common rail. I just love messing around with newer technology. But with the 7.3 there is one locally for $300 out of a 2000 fedex truck. 130k on the odometer. It needs some piston work. but worse case i'd get another short block from my buddy who has one with some upper end issues and be set. This would give me more room up front as well for the intercooler and e-fan and this and that whereas cnallack has his intercooler out in his grille. Im not worried about width so much or height, I could just put a body lift on if needed and i dont mind cutting my inner fenders. Just parts for 7.3s are so damn cheap. Heads for $75 bucks on carpart. Even if they need to see a machine shop my friends uncle owns one. I'm pretty sure I can run that 7.3 engine off of an OBS ford wiring harness to simplify things. Maybe custom fab a crank tone wheel to read the nissan crank sensor to keep my cluster, to keep my cluster id have to keep the nissan ecu for sure. So it would be jam packed in there.
Makes sense. I like the 7.3 better anyways:eyebrow:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dude is out of town for the next 3 weeks :( But now theres another one I have my eye on. Less miles but has a cracked piston. I had a friend have this problem, he just threw a used piston in and 3 years later hes still going strong!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts