Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the ripe young age of 40 I have never used anything but a 4-pin trailer connector. I remember using the bulb kit that dangled two wires out of the tail lense. I faintly remember splicing right in to the harness on an old GMC. Now it has been several years since I have towed anything so forgive me if times have changed. Why would I need a 7 pin over a 4-pin connector? I only plan on pulling a small boat and maybe a pop-up (future planned purchases).

OT: The members on this site have been very helpfull with feedback on questions. It truly made my decision easier when selecting which packages I needed on my Titan. After analyzing my needs I went with the 4x2 w/o BT.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
7 pin gives you electric brakes and auxillary power to charge a battery on a trailer. A plug in "T" adapter is available to give you just the 4 pin connector. You may be fine with that. Consider buying the OEM hitch (Perfect fit, well made), and check for what realys you will need to add to the truck. The dealer should be able to give correct answer. It is 1 or 2 relays, depending on the year.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast response.

I have read several threads here and think I will need 3 relays for my 07. The reason I am looking at the Hidden Hitch/Draw-Tite is because I will seldom tow and when I do it will be light weight stuff compared to most around here. So the after-market will not have the 7 pin connector bracket like the OEM which suites my needs better.

·
Premium Member
17,125 Posts
I would also go OEM hitch with 7 pin and get a 4 pin adapter. That way you will be equipped to tow either, although for electric brakes you would still need a brake controller. www.courtesyparts.com has a very nice descriptive section for Titan and towing with all the towing stuff, although maybe better pricing could be had elsewhere.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I cant find out What pin in the 7-pin does what. Can anyone point me in the direction to find out what pin does what in the 7 wire layout. Looking specifically for the one that comes from the Alternator that charges the battery on a camper. Any help would be appriciated.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
ZacharyT said:
I cant find out What pin in the 7-pin does what. Can anyone point me in the direction to find out what pin does what in the 7 wire layout. Looking specifically for the one that comes from the Alternator that charges the battery on a camper. Any help would be appriciated.
Here you go, look at this site. http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.aspx

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK so I checked out the Link & it lists everything but Nissan Of course. So do I assume its the same for Nissan normal I would guess. Well I am going to try & look into chargeing a battery for my trailer from the 7 wire. Anyone ever done thi before?

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
ZacharyT said:
OK so I checked out the Link & it lists everything but Nissan Of course. So do I assume its the same for Nissan normal I would guess. Well I am going to try & look into chargeing a battery for my trailer from the 7 wire. Anyone ever done thi before?
The pin out is universal. They give the different manufactures wire color to help you identify where to attach the wires. I have never attached a charger the way you are, but I would guess that you could use the center pin. It is a 12v aux plug. You might check and make sure that it is either switched of non switched.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Check your center pin to ground with a 12 volt light bulb. It should be "hot" and would be the one to charge your battery. That's pretty much universal.

I have Big Tow with the built in 7 pin plug. I tow a 24 foot equipment trailer with an auxillary battery and electric brakes on my Armada. The center pin keeps the battery hot.

I also have a smaller boat trailer that has a four pin system. I use an adapter for that.

·
Registered
408 Posts
eatmorchikin said:
Thanks for the fast response.

I have read several threads here and think I will need 3 relays for my 07. The reason I am looking at the Hidden Hitch/Draw-Tite is because I will seldom tow and when I do it will be light weight stuff compared to most around here. So the after-market will not have the 7 pin connector bracket like the OEM which suites my needs better.
Honestly, you're better off with the OEM. IIRC the titans all have the 7-pin connector pre-wired and zip-tied under the bumper (even the ones that don't have the tow pkg. Just bolt on the OEM hitch, plug in a few relays, and you're done!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts