Nissan Titan Forum banner

7-Speed Tranny and 2.93 Rear End = SUCKS!

20K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  TITANUP2017 
#1 · (Edited)
New 7-Speed Tranny and 2.93 Rear End = SUCKS!

If you own or have driven a 2017 Nissan Titan, one of the first things you'll notice is how sweet the engine is and almost immediately after you'll notice how the transmission completely makes it perform like a V6. The rear end axle ratio doesnt help only makes it worse. The other makers are in the low to high 3's on half tons. The higher the ratio the more your able to put the power to the ground...simple logic.

#2 ·
If you own or have driven a 2017 Nissan Titan, one of the first things you'll notice is how sweet the engine is and almost immediately after you'll notice how the transmission completely makes it perform like a p-ussy. The rear end axle ratio doesnt help only makes it worse. I'm sorry did you say the axle ratio is below 3??? Yes folks its the lowest ratio of any half ton truck on the market...I think ever produced. The other makers are in the low to high 3's on half tons. The higher the ratio the more your able to put the power to the ground...simple logic.

Old Titans were the exact same way... I think 2.94 standard and 3.3ish available with the Big Tow package. A lot depends on the gearing in the transmission as well. The 7 speed has an exceptionally tall first gear.

#3 ·
3.3 is where everyone else starts out and the high 3's with tow package (up to 3.92). I've driven a 3.92 ram with similar HP as the TITAN and its a completely different truck. Chirps tires off the line and even in second. You might as well put a V6 in it if you're going to have a tranny that restricts it from its true potential.

#4 · (Edited)
If you own or have driven a 2017 Nissan Titan, one of the first things you'll notice is how sweet the engine is and almost immediately after you'll notice how the transmission completely makes it perform like a V6. The rear end axle ratio doesnt help only makes it worse. I'm sorry did you say the axle ratio is below 3??? Yes folks its the lowest ratio of any half ton truck on the market...I think ever produced. The other makers are in the low to high 3's on half tons. The higher the ratio the more your able to put the power to the ground...simple logic.

This is the fastest Titan yet. It is also one of the fastest half tons currently available. https://youtu.be/CaCjsMMScgM

#5 · (Edited)
Yes its quick but you have to practically floor it for it to downshift. All the Ford engines are faster btw. Being "ONE" of the fastest doesn't mean anything. The quickness is just a testament to how great the improved engine and weight reduction really is. Imagine the possibilities if you could actually access its FULL potential with a quicker shifting more refined tranny and a higher axle ratio.

#6 ·
The power delivery on the new Titan is definitely different. I drove an 04 with the 3.36 for 12 years. It was crazy quick off the line, you'd have to feather the throttle so you wouldn't roast the tires, especially around corners but it fell a bit flat up high in the rpm range. The new truck has mad power available up higher in the RPM range. It crazy quick on the freeway and has legs for days. I've found the trans mapping is a lot better in Tow mode. I'm really looking forward to see how it tows this summer, especially in the mountains. It seems to have done pretty well on the Ike gauntlet test on TFL so my hopes are high. Throw out the subjective score and it's right there with Ford's 10 speed 3.5 f150, and finding one of those with a center console, locking diff and cargo management system, at least around here, is gonna cost you big.

2017 Nissan Titan Half-Ton: Ike Gauntlet Extreme Towing Review [Video] - The Fast Lane Truck

#11 ·
I recently purchased an F-350. The original order mistakenly went in with a 3.31 axle ratio. When the dealer and Ford couldn't get the order changed I cancelled the order and re-ordered with the (correct) 3.55 axle. Given what I tow and where I tow I would have taken 3.73 if it was available. I can't imagine what it would be like to tow with the 2.94 rear end some of you guys are dealing with.

#15 ·
Now I have several comparisons here, though I'm currently dragging with a first gen titan with the 2.94, It severely outperforms any other half ton I've towed with (which runs the gamut between a '90 F-150, to a '10 ram) When I'm climbing divides with an overloaded trailer, I am constantly wishing for a gear between second and third. Keep in mind, when doing this, I MUST be in manual mode and over 2kRPM or my tranny will start cooking in a big hurry. While I don't have a comparison on the new 7speed, it seems to me that more gears would be a great benefit. However, it's easy to picture the mapping being useless, because nowdays, it's all about emissions, MPG, low noise, comfort, etc: Basically, the points of a pickup that don't matter for **** when it comes to actually getting something beyond cruising town with it done. Now the first gen motor and chassis are more than up to the rigors of heavy towing, but the tranny, suspension, and rear end leave much to be desired. They will however, get the job done if you're careful and smart about it. It's hard for me to believe that with 2 more gears, and more torque that the second gen isn't superior in this regard. It is disappointing that the new flavor still offers just the 2.94, and 3.36- But it isn't really shocking.

But, look now at the points made about the second gen, it revolves around the looks, the lack of a console shifter, the 'more refined' interior, ETC. That's because in these times, a half ton pickup is built to appeal to car people who are unlikely to ever put payload and towing cap even near the limit, and will never likely see greater off-roading duty than backing onto thelawn to load up the tree trimmings. With that in mind, if you are looking for a pickup to do the dirty, heavy dusty that pickups were invented to carry out, you're out of the nissan market, because you're going to need a one ton. I don't know about ram, but the current gasoline 3/4 tons in the ford and GM offerings aren't even up to par with my 140Kmi, 8yo first gen, EXCEPT: in transmission heat. If I had the choice between any of them, and my spine-cracking, ultra loud, non-turbo '89 F-350 (with worn out bench seat, 0 cup holders, no AC, ETC) to get a big haul done, it'll be the old rattletrap any day. (Do keep in mind this is only for the gassers, which might not be 'fair' pitted against a 7.3 IDI with a 5sp manual) I can't do anything but speculate without any hands on knowledge on the cummins XD: Oddly, the dealership isn't too keen on letting me hook 9.4K of scrap steel to the *** of an XD for a test drive. Back to the fluffy stuff: a second gen Titan could never work for me until my oldest daughter heads to college anyway, I need a six seater for my daily ride (Which also rules out my '89 by half).

But thanks for the report, Maybe I need to rethink on trying to get a second gen motor and tranny once I get the dana 60 and gm 9.25 (in 3.73) modded up for my Titan. Your post re-opened the brainstorm line of a six speed manual conversion as an alternative. Either one would require ECU foolery that is FAR beyond my ability, or a strip down and standalone, which..is the same category. Luckily, i know some folks, unfortunately, my wallet cries at the thought. Keep us up to date if any 'easy fixes' come to light on the shift-lack of the second gen powertrain.

#19 · (Edited)
I have to admit though, with the low end grunt, the 2.94 does well at light duty. The bottom line, I'll bet, like ANYTHING ELSE on the market, is if you want it to perform at max potential, you'll have to mod the piss out of it. They are ALL nice when you get them new, they are all crap after you ride them hard, and there are a few that are true beasts, and that comes with a lot of work.

As stated, those of us who really give a damn if it performs with a big trailer and/or offroad are the vast minority. our input is moot. We'll build them to our specs anyway. The majority of the targeted market will never even realize there are shortcomings (They will be lucky to ever even know the gear ratio at all) and will trade them in after a few years for whatever the magazines and online reviews say is the coolest new trend. That's who Nissan wants to sell to, not the die-hard few. That's why I'm interested to see what aftermarket 'fixes' come out.

#20 · (Edited)
Putting in high gearing and a wide ratio span in the transmission is Nissan's MO. It was that way on the 1st Gen Titan and its that way in the Frontier. It would be interesting to see how the ratios line up across all gears but unfortunately I don't have time to do that. I did see it listed somewhere and remember it matched up pretty well with the competition and that the overall crawl ratio was competitive too.

I do think the 7 speed might be getting a bit of a bum rap here. The fact that the RPMs dip by 700 under medium to hard acceleration in the middle of third gear, or that RPMs flutter at the bottom of 4th under medium acceleration, or RPMs flutter under light acceleration while cruising along in 5th and 6th gear likely has nothing to do with the transmission. The likely culprit is Nissan's new VVEL (Variable Valve Event & Lift) technology, specifically the electronically controlled variable valve lift on the intake side. It is this fact that gives me hope a new ECM flash will correct this issue sometime in the near future.

#22 ·
THis was very interesting!!! Good video

#26 ·
Update from my salesman:

"Just talked to service, and they supposedly have one in the works for them. Its actually an RPM issue so a more complicated fix involving the throttle is what I'm told. I will keep you updated, but they made it seem like it was incoming soon."

#27 ·
Well hooked the Titan to my travel trailer (2015 Flagstaff 26FKWS - dry weight 5,800 lbs - loaded 6,500 lbs.) and went for a 35 km ride around Winnipeg's Perimeter Hwy. As I don't like the Tow Mode on the trucks, I shifted manually. Shifting gears at between 2,500 and 3,000 rpm really keeps the truck moving nicely to reach highway cruising speed of 105 km/hr. Heading into a 20 km/hr head wind required leaving it in 5th gear @ 1,950 rpm. With no wind, shifted to 6th gear @ 1,750 rpm.

Even with this short drive, I find the Titan more capable than my previous truck (2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x2 with the 5.3 L and 6 speed with 3.42 final gear ratio) at getting to and maintaining highway speeds.

The big test will be on the May long weekend when I'll be towing on a 600 km round trip.

#29 ·
IMO its the trnsmisssion. Anything over 5 speeds suck and this includes any make or model truck. Im not a fan at all, call me old school I guess. These things always seem to be gear searching especially when towing. A buddies 4.10 geared Tundra does it my wife's 6 speed Tahoe with 3.43 gearing does it and both drive me crazy. With the Tahoe you can make a turn from a red light and by the time your straightened up out of the turn your in 3rd gear lugging the motor. The Tundra towing a 67 Mustang is constantly searching for a gear while on interstate. I dont know about the 2.94 gear comparison vs a 3.36 because there is not a huge difference there but my 05 2.94 geared Titan does outstanding for what I tow up to 6k lbs. I haven't found many trucks no matter what make that can run with it either from a dig.

#31 ·
If reference to: "Please Report Transmission Issue" thread

After you open a case and receive a case # you will receive a SURVEY emailed to you. Please make sure you fill out and respond immediately. Its important you leave detailed comments in the appropriate sections too. It only takes but 5 mins to do. This will move up the latter within corporate if they receive enough of them.

Email Title will be:

Nissan North America Consumer Affairs Questionnaire

Body of email will be:

As a valued Nissan customer, your satisfaction throughout your ownership experience is our company's highest priority.

Recently, you contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs with a question or concern. We would appreciate your feedback on our resolution process, as it helps us understand our strengths and opportunities. Our goal is to improve future experience for valued customers like you.

Providing your feedback will only take a few minutes of your time. Please click the "START" button below to begin. The link will remain active for 21 days.

START SURVEY

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,

Jaime Copenhaver
Senior Manager
Nissan Consumer Affairs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.