Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys...I'm new to this forum and have some questions. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am a complete novice when it comes to many things towing related, so here goes.

I've got a 2004 Titan LE King Cab 4X2 with Big Tow. From what I've read, my towing capacity is 9200#

I currently pull a boat/trailer that weighs about 4300# with no issues.

I'm looking at upgrading boats to a Crownline 270BR...it is a big boat and has a dry weight of 5500#. I'm guessing the trailer will be around 1900#. That puts me at 7400# without fuel, coolers, etc...

When I go to the lake I typically bring along a full truck of adults (5). Typically the truck has 2 guys and 3 petite ladies

My question is, with a truck that is full of gas and 5 adults am I going to have major issues pulling this boat? Would I need any upgrades to my truck to make this safer? Would a weight distribution hitch help? Different tires?
I'm guessing tongue weight is around 400-600lbs???

Does anyone consistently pull a boat this size in and out of the water on a typical steep boat ramp? How does it do?

HELP HELP HELP!!!!

Like I said, I currently pull a 21 Foot BAJA and I hardly know it is back there.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
Welcome Titantalk!! That Crownline is a nice boat!! I've been looking at a new crownline to replace my Vip.

I think you will OK with the weight. I would suggest a WD hitch though. The other thing you might consider is a Tru-track upgrade. That way if you start slipping on the ramp, you can have both will turning instead of just one. Does the new trailer have brakes??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is tru-track..and what will it cost me? Like I said, I'm a complete novice! I believe the boat has surge disc brakes

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
tlembke said:
What is tru-track..and what will it cost me? Like I said, I'm a complete novice! I believe the boat has surge disc brakes

Thanks for the reply

Tru track turns our one wheel wonder into a limited slip diff. I think the cost is around $500 plus labor to install.

·
Registered
789 Posts
i tow a 23 CC open fisherman and i forget it is back there. Even with 5 adults, all gear, and both tanks full. The boat has a 120 gallon tank. I always think it is somebody tailgating me. lol You have BT so do I. Dont worry. Have a great time. At 27 feet not sure if you will have a tandem or a triple axle trailer but you may want to get brakes on the trailer. I have the Stillen Big Brake kit.
________
Uggs

·
Registered
779 Posts
tlembke said:
When I go to the lake I typically bring along a full truck of adults (5). Typically the truck has 2 guys and 3 petite ladies

Living the dream...:clap:

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
Should not be a problem.......Load that baby up and get to the lake !!!!!!..The titan is a towing machine....Good luck, use common sense and be safe......

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
catitanfan said:
My truck came with the traction control package. Would that be the same thing as the Tru-Track Mod?

Thanks
No they are not the same thing. Nissan does not offer a LSD differential. You have an open diff and could have the e-lock, which will lock the both rear tires together. Not the same as a LSD diff.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You should be fine w/ this weight. I do recommend airbags. I love my firestone airbags and compressor. Check out suspensionconnection.com this is were I got mine and only took about 3 hrs to install myself with compressor. I have about 1800 lbs in my bed and have had a hitch weight of around 1050 lbs before w/ no problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I tow a 10,000lb trailer on a weekly basis with no problems. I don't use a weight distribution hitch and fully loaded at 10+ I do feel some heaviness on the rear end. You should be fine with the stock setup with the surge brakes on the trailer. Just be cautious when pulling the boat out of the water. If your rear tires get wet on a steep ramp, you may spin a but to get it going. My work truck is a 2007 F-350 4x4 with tow package and it doesn't come close to the towing confort that my Titan has. Enjoy your new boat and the best tow rig on the hiway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I pull a Sea Ray 215 Express cruiser, about 4k lbs. I wouldn't hit the ramp if I didn't have 4WD. With a wet, sandy/rocky ramp, I would spin them out almost every time in 2wd, even with the LSD. Obviously not a problem getting the boat in, but pulling it out may be a pain.

That said, you gotta get that boat!

·
Registered
789 Posts
PorkPlate said:
I pull a Sea Ray 215 Express cruiser, about 4k lbs. I wouldn't hit the ramp if I didn't have 4WD. With a wet, sandy/rocky ramp, I would spin them out almost every time in 2wd, even with the LSD. Obviously not a problem getting the boat in, but pulling it out may be a pain.

That said, you gotta get that boat!
first post?? Welcome to TT!!

The stock tires are crap. Upgrade it to a better bigger tire and you will not have those spin problems. It was fun burning those stock tires up the ramp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks!

Your probably right, although I think I will burn some more rubber off of them before upgrading. I'm too cheap.

I also realized this post is about 2 months old, hopefully the OP already got the Crownline, and is enjoying it.

I actually have been browsing the site for some time. I am going on a trip in a couple weeks up a mountain pass (Togwotee, over 9500 ft). I got my boat, fully loaded with trailer, gear, fuel, and people at about 7400 lbs. I have been nervous about the trip for a while, and decided to see what others were hauling.

I don't think I will have any trouble, I just need to remember to keep it slow.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
You will have no problems towing it. I think you are going to have some serious issues getting it back out of the water with a 2wd and no trutrac.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts