Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Pro 4 X I have always changed the oil at the dealer every 5K miles. Kept a new air filter etc. Always stayed on top of any maintenance tasks. Truck ran crappy one morning and threw a P0300 mulit cylinder misifire. Then it would run fine. I replaced the plugs since I figure why not at almost 90K they could use it. Used NGK plugs and it ran great for 2 days. Cold morning start it kind of stumbled on start up again and threw the cold once more. I drove it straight to the dealer and they said it has low compression 155-175 psi on all cylinders and that is why it is missing. The thing I find odd is that it runs just fine but intermittently has a stumble more like an electrical issue. I don't trust this dealership they offered to put in a used motor with 110K miles for only $5,400. I have it at an small independent shop now looking at it hoping it is just a crank sensor or something that is an easy fix. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Did Nissan do anything for you/?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
That's pretty much a load of crap. According to the best info I can find, 155 and up is considered good for a used motor. As long as all eight jugs are within 20% from highest to lowest, and above 135psi, you should be good. Below 90psi won't fire.

If you have a misfire, it's not compression related. Start checking plugs, coil packs, and exhaust blockage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty much a load of crap. According to the best info I can find, 155 and up is considered good for a used motor. As long as all eight jugs are within 20% from highest to lowest, and above 135psi, you should be good. Below 90psi won't fire.

If you have a misfire, it's not compression related. Start checking plugs, coil packs, and exhaust blockage.
That is what I thought as well. They were saying it had to be over 200 and it is my understanding that an engine still fire even with compression as low as 90 so it should be good. Thanks for your reply dubyam.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Over 200? Brand new engines run around 190. They're full of crap. Tell them to kiss off.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Could be a bad coil. Could also be bad cats. You're about at that time where the primary cats start to fail and you need new manifolds or headers. I replaced mine right at 90k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be a bad coil. Could also be bad cats. You're about at that time where the primary cats start to fail and you need new manifolds or headers. I replaced mine right at 90k.
What prompted you to replace them? Did you have any codes or symptoms?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
No codes, but both sides were cracked. Tons of threads on here about cracked manifolds, but on cold start ups you can hear the engine ticking/air escaping. It goes away after the engine warms up and the metal expands on the manifolds.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I vote for bad coil(s). Sounds a bit similar to an issue I had years ago with my '07.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had an issue with my 06 maybe similar to what you describe. Randomly the truck would go into a low low idle and would Barry respond to any acceleration input. Didn’t matter if it was a cold start, driven for 10 mins, etc, it was completely random and disabled the vehicle when it would happen. Found out it was the IPDM (intelligent power distribution module). Replaced it for $100 myself (easy swap) and never had the issue since. One quick fix while I was waiting on the part was swapping the ecm and fog relays. Try that and see if the problem persists.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would say 155 is fine also. It’s a shame most dealers are liars and scam artists. My Titan is too new for that problem (hopefully) but I had similar symptoms on my 99 Suburban and it was the fuel injector spider assembly and the mass air meter. I don’t know if the Titan has those parts yet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
2014 Pro 4 X I have always changed the oil at the dealer every 5K miles. Kept a new air filter etc. Always stayed on top of any maintenance tasks. Truck ran crappy one morning and threw a P0300 mulit cylinder misifire. Then it would run fine. I replaced the plugs since I figure why not at almost 90K they could use it. Used NGK plugs and it ran great for 2 days. Cold morning start it kind of stumbled on start up again and threw the cold once more. I drove it straight to the dealer and they said it has low compression 155-175 psi on all cylinders and that is why it is missing. The thing I find odd is that it runs just fine but intermittently has a stumble more like an electrical issue. I don't trust this dealership they offered to put in a used motor with 110K miles for only $5,400. I have it at an small independent shop now looking at it hoping it is just a crank sensor or something that is an easy fix. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Did Nissan do anything for you/?
Might want to clean your MAF sensor, simple fix if it’s misreading the Air and fuel ratio...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts