Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 09 Titan (used w/ 17k) in august of last year. From day one I been using 93 octane with the thought that it will burn cleaner and maybe give a little more pep. I could care less about MPG... if I was worried about fuel economy I wouldn't have gotten a Titan. I just want to know is running 93 in a flex fuel actually doing more harm than good?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
The Flex Fuel option is nothing more than giving you the option to run e85 instead of regular fuel if you wish. It is designed to run on either, you have nothing to worry about!

·
Super Moderator
161,952 Posts
The flex fuel truck has simply been equipped to handle the more corrosive E85 without harm to the truck. Gas of any octane certainly won't hurt it.

·
Premium Member
58,833 Posts
Out trucks were designed to run on regular fuel. You can run premium all you want but it will not help anything but the oil company profits.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Running 89 octane will give you the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
215 Posts
While running 93 will not harm your truck. Unless you're tuned to run on 93 it's not gonna do you any good.
WTF are you talking about?

Running 93 octane doesn't require a tune, nor does it really need to be "tuned" to get the most out of it.

Sure if the OP wanted to run 109 octane then maybe he would see some negative results. But this isn't race-gas we're talking about.

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
I've run 93 in my T since i bought it in '07 with no problems. I can change fuel maps with my tuner, but i leave it in the 93oct map all the time for better performance! :)

nor does it really need to be "tuned" to get the most out of it.
How is that? If you were tuned it would make more of a difference which octane gas you fill up with. I run 93 because i have more ign timing set in my 93 map & i can feel a big difference between it & my 91map which is pretty much identical only with less timing.

I don't like buying cheap gas period... 89+ for me. :)

·
Vendor
7,924 Posts
Higher octane is for engines with more compression. The lower octanes flash faster than say 93 or higher. This is why race motors with high compression over 11:1 require racing gas with octanes as high as 110 to prevent detonation or knock. You can also get away with running higher timing with increased octanes. Octane has nothing to do with how clean a gas burns.

·
Registered
368 Posts
@ Baseballfanz - how do I do that? Also, can I hear it for the Yankees!!! ;)
you asking how to get it tuned?

hit up nightowl for Uprev tuning software.
hit up tap auto parts for the Bullydog GT handheld.
Or hit up the classifieds for a used bdgt, superchips flashpaq/cortex or hypertech.
might want to consider some exhaust/intake upgrades to make either worthwhile.
bdgt would suit your needs but uprev is def king dingaling

·
Super Moderator
93,754 Posts
The only thing the 93 octane is hurting is your wallet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts