Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
This is my first post and I apoligize for it being a question. I own a 2007 Nissan Titan. Yesterday I went to turn my air on and I heard a click. Since then, my air has one speed, high. I can change throughout the different settings but it blows the same on each one. I still have hot and cold. What do you think?

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is an issue that several of us have experienced. The Variable Blower Control (VBC) located just below the blower motor has most likely failed, and set the blower speed to "High" to keep maximum cooling airflow over its heat sink fins, which stick up inside the blower ducting. It is about a $60 part and only takes a few minutes to change, but being yours is an '07 model you may still be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah, that should be something that would be a warranty issue I think. At least it doesn't smell. Mine smelled funny for the longest time. I finally got it to smell nice and then my dad wrecked the truck :ftard: Oh well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just had the same problem happen to my truck. The blower motor only blew on high no matter what setting the control knob was on. I took the control module out from under the blower motor assembly to see if I could take it apart or not. I popped the covers off of the module and plugged it back in to test it. There are four pins on the module ( 2 for the blower motor and 2 for the control knob on the dash). I checked the 2 pins that go to the control knob to make sure that the voltage varied as I rotated the blower speed knob on the dash and they worked good. I figured there was a part on the control module board that was bad. I found out that the MOSFET that is clamped to the heatsink was bad (all three pins were shorted together when checked with a multimeter after it had been removed from the board). If yours has the same symptoms you can order a replacement part from Newark electronics for $1.33 plus shipping. The part number on Newarks site is 89K1635. The manufacturer of the MOSFET is ST Microelectronics and the part number is STP80NF55-08. It is the same part that Nissan used. I just finished my board and it works great. It sure beats a $50-60 replacement board.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone, I just did the same fix that yzfr1rider did. I ordered the transistor part he mentioned, cost me $1.75 or so shipped. I had to buy a tube of heat sink paste, which I got at Radio Shack, and that was about $2. I removed the old MOSFET from the board, cleaned up the heatsink with rubbing alcohol, applied the paste and soldered in the new one. Reinstalled everything back in the Titan, and I have variable fan speeds now :)
If anyone has a problem with their fan speed, I recommend at least trying this fix. It's way cheaper than replacing the whole VBC for $50 or more. If it doesn't fix your problem, you're only out like $4.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes the MOSFET is in the VBC. If you take the plastic casing off, you will find a circuit board attached to the heat sink. The MOSFET is the component coming from the board that is pressed against the heat sink itself, being held in place by the metal clamp. If your VBC is bad, then it's most likely that one component.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 05 my blower works on high and off only. I replaced the VBC and it worked great when first put in but the next time I used the truck I only had high again. replaced the VBC twice and it did the same exact thing. I have a display screen that shows the switch is working. Any ideas???

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2004 i got a year ago. It had this issue. It stopped working completely last night. Today I took it apart and noticed on the plastic ring under the fan control knob. It was cracked. The little metal black piece in the middle of the ring that grips onto the shaft was staying in place when the knob was turned not allowing the shaft to be turned. $4 bottle of liquid nails and bam. It's fixed. New unit was $450. Saved $446

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I've read all the threads I could find regarding the blower being stuck on High. I replaced the VBC as well as the HVAC Control Assembly and I'm still experiencing the same problem. My blower is either on high regardless of the control knob setting or off. Does anyone have a third possible fix?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts