Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont own a 05 Titan but a buddy at work does and today he asked me about a clunking noise in the rear. So i went and looked at it and told him to start it up and put it in drive and gas it a little so I could see and hear the driveshaft. Well when he did that the rear diff must have hand-grenaded. Man it sounded awful. well i guess my questions are is this a common thing with these and is Nissan taking care of it. If not then im going to replace the pinion and ring for him. Any help would be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
elamb123 said:
I dont own a 05 Titan but a buddy at work does and today he asked me about a clunking noise in the rear. So i went and looked at it and told him to start it up and put it in drive and gas it a little so I could see and hear the driveshaft. Well when he did that the rear diff must have hand-grenaded. Man it sounded awful. well i guess my questions are is this a common thing with these and is Nissan taking care of it. If not then im going to replace the pinion and ring for him. Any help would be appreciated!!!
Check the "Sticky" topics at the very top of this forum. This is a common problem with the earlier Titans that have the Off-Road package (Rear locker), Nissan is aware of this and is taking care of folks that suffer a rear diff failure.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Make sure you point this sight out to your friend. Have him look in the sticky at the top of this forum and have him report the failure to NHTSA. There are links in the rear diff failure thread.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yahooligan said:
Check the "Sticky" topics at the very top of this forum. This is a common problem with the earlier Titans that have the Off-Road package (Rear locker), Nissan is aware of this and is taking care of folks that suffer a rear diff failure.
Differential failures and whinning rear ends has continued into the 07 Titans. It seems the 08 Titans might have been redesigned since no failures have been reported. It is true that the earlier years have had more problems but they also have the most mileage on them and more failures can show up.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
elamb123 said:

I'm with P's Titan here. Describe what you mean by "hand-grenaded". No, nobodys rear diff on their Titans actually blew up or exploded. There have been whining issues, clunking issues where gear teeth were found in the gear oil and Nissan replaced any bad rear ends. Nissan has since changed the gear portion on the differentials from 2 to 4 from information I've read.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts