Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I've looked through a ton of threads in here, and am still lost. I've got an 06 4x4 crew cab, am about to lift it 6", and want some help on some quick performance ideas. What does anyone think about FRAM BOOST intake?? IF it's no good, what intake do you suggest? What about getting a chip for my truck?? Any other effective ideas that I dont have to sell my first born to purchase, and that will help out on some quick HP and TQ gains?? :domohit:

·
Premium Member
92,269 Posts
Intakes are like exhaust. Everyone who has a different one likes what they have. Opinions are a dime a dozen. Here's a thread that assembles all the opinions:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/30324-air-intake-systems-list-poll.html

Regarding the CAI, I don't believe there is a big difference in the gains among the crowd. You need to shop price and possibly looks. Do you want a stainless tube or a black plastic one? I've heard Fram Boost is good, but I think the AEM is the same thing for less $$$.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/50716-aem-vs-fram.html?highlight=Fram+Boost

Injen makes a good one, but it's not cheap. Some have bought the $159 units from eBay and are happy. Still others have done the almost free airbox mod and are happy. Free airbox mod:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/15837-diy-air-box-mod.html?highlight=airbox+mod

Other mods for performance are either the Stillen VKPro chip, which just came out, for around $700. UpRev tuning will remap the ECU and you can have them set up multiple programs. The downside is the remapping requires you to either go to Austin Texas or ship them your ECU, so there's downtime.

A quick shot can come from doing the 2 degree timing advance. It gives you a little more low end grunt and some juice off the line, but at the expense of slightly decreased MPG.

Some have gone with the combination of intake and exhaust, which is best for the system. Better air in, better air out. And since the combustion engine is basically a glorified air pump, this is good. Here's a good thread to check out exhausts.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/29965-exhaust-systems-sound-clips-list.html

If you want crazy, Stillen also makes a nice Supercharger for our trucks. $7000 hooks you up.

Hope this helps. What you do with the info is now in your hands. Good luck!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Blackbeauty and his purdy avitar pretty much summed it up other than headers. Stillen and powerflo for long tubes (not legal for on road in California) and JBA for shorties (legal California) most agree that stillen is the way to go for headers if not in california.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I have the exact set up as you Greezy, I have a 06 4x4 LE Crew Cab and I will be lifting it 7". I have the S&B Intake, and Magnaflow Muffler.

I love both of my set ups and it has given me great power. I would recommend these two for your truck.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
hate to bust your bubble but even the jba shorties arent CARB approved Shailey from the other titan site called CARB and they have no listing for the CARB number under JBA, he said that the number they have for the jba headers says it belongs to a chevy 350.. and I don't think anyone will think that the titan motor is a 350,lol

If you want max torque/hp do these mods..

1)AEM or Volant CAI ($240-260)... S&B CAI has fitment and engine checklight issues Steer clear of this if i was you..
2) JBA evol stainless catback (425.00) has 2.25" piping before the y-pipe and 3" after the y pipe..
3)if you really want max gains also get the Stillen long tube headers ($799)
4) Dynatech 2.25" hi flow racing cats ($159.00 each X 2)
5) rebuild b-pipes with hi flow cats to 2.25" with no resonators ($150.00 labor)..
6) get "My tune" from uprev if you have identical mods to me they can "Flash" my tune onto your trucks ecu and it should be less than $450.00 for the full tune which imo will eat alive the stillen vkpro which doesnt even offer drive by wire removal.. otherwise you can'ty get full throttle till after 45mph..

I'll be getting retuned from uprev in about 2-3 weeks so my custom tune will be available for other people then..

Me and Rossi, Rb's Titan, and Markislive 4 of the fastest NA titans in the world right now have spent thousands of dollars sorting out the mods that do and don't work.. Total build cost is $2,232 for everything.. hell i've spent prob close to 6k trying to find out what works and doesnt work on this damn truck..
In return we save you guys the guesswork If you want a 13 sec. NA truck this is the way to go, after getting retuned i should be able to hang with a stock ford lightnin' no problem..

·
Registered
121 Posts
if you want cheap and good results get the cai of ebay that looks like aem but for under a 100 bucks. for exhaust go to muffler shop and get the magnaflow either the 18 22 or 24 inch with the 3 inch pipe with tip. the only difference is sound 18 being the loudest i got 24 welded for 330. or you could get just muffler for like a 100 bucks probablly. as for chip not many options either uprev ecu reflash or stillen which just came out. good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, one more question.. I personally somewhat like the sound of the stock exhaust, so what exhaust system can I get some gains with, without going ridiculously loud?

·
Premium Member
92,269 Posts
Stillen and Zoomers both make nice exhausts that are slightly louder than stock at idle, but nicely brash when stomped. Something like the Banks or Flowmasters will be loud! Check out the soundclips in the exhaust thread. If you have difficulty making much differentiation from webclips, try stopping by a local Titan meet to hear some of them in person. That's the best way to tell what you like.

·
Super Moderator
93,246 Posts
I have read some good things about the new Injen intake for our truck. Has anybody had any experiance with it? Attached is a link from ******* Industries with a description. Almost looks as good as BlackBeauty's avatar :frogtongu

·
Super Moderator
93,246 Posts

·
Premium Member
92,269 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Greezy66 said:
ok, one more question.. I personally somewhat like the sound of the stock exhaust, so what exhaust system can I get some gains with, without going ridiculously loud?

Get the 18" Magnaflow muffler. It's a perfect replacement for the stock one. It will add some sound, but nothing crazy. But performance wise, it adds (around) 9hp 16TW over the stock muffler. Not bad for less than $70. Look for it on e-bay.

Here's my 2 cents...

Injen intake $339 shipped
Magnaflow muffler $69 shipped (30 to 50 installed)
Timing advance 0 to $90

Those three mods will add about 20hp and 35TQ, all for around $500.00.
That will get you started, and you'll notice better performance. Then when you save up some more money, UpRev, or maybe by then, Cobb (hand held) programmer.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Toomnymods said:
hate to bust your bubble but even the jba shorties arent CARB approved Shailey from the other titan site called CARB and they have no listing for the CARB number under JBA, he said that the number they have for the jba headers says it belongs to a chevy 350.. and I don't think anyone will think that the titan motor is a 350,lol

If you want max torque/hp do these mods..

1)AEM or Volant CAI ($240-260)... S&B CAI has fitment and engine checklight issues Steer clear of this if i was you..
2) JBA evol stainless catback (425.00) has 2.25" piping before the y-pipe and 3" after the y pipe..
3)if you really want max gains also get the Stillen long tube headers ($799)
4) Dynatech 2.25" hi flow racing cats ($159.00 each X 2)
5) rebuild b-pipes with hi flow cats to 2.25" with no resonators ($150.00 labor)..
6) get "My tune" from uprev if you have identical mods to me they can "Flash" my tune onto your trucks ecu and it should be less than $450.00 for the full tune which imo will eat alive the stillen vkpro which doesnt even offer drive by wire removal.. otherwise you can'ty get full throttle till after 45mph..

I'll be getting retuned from uprev in about 2-3 weeks so my custom tune will be available for other people then..

Me and Rossi, Rb's Titan, and Markislive 4 of the fastest NA titans in the world right now have spent thousands of dollars sorting out the mods that do and don't work.. Total build cost is $2,232 for everything.. hell i've spent prob close to 6k trying to find out what works and doesnt work on this damn truck..
In return we save you guys the guesswork If you want a 13 sec. NA truck this is the way to go, after getting retuned i should be able to hang with a stock ford lightnin' no problem..

is that including nos?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
no i didnt include nitrous cause i know most people a 13 second truck would be more than enough speed.. with nitrous you can actually drop another .5 to .7 on this motor, so eventually after jim wolf cams i might be able to break some 12 second runs, but i'm not gonna hold my breath,lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts