Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone could enlighten me about the lack of manual transmission as an option? I dont own a titan as of yet but would like to know why its not an option. I tried using search but that failed.

Thanks,
Thomas

·
Registered
740 Posts
elementary

1blackx said:
I was wondering if someone could enlighten me about the lack of manual transmission as an option? I dont own a titan as of yet but would like to know why its not an option. I tried using search but that failed.

Thanks,
Thomas
Manual transmission=more engineering=more production options=higher production costs= higher costs.

Nissan tried to limit options to increase efficiencies by making a 5 speed automatic and putting a manual shift mode in it. This gives the best of a manual transmission (ability to shift at your desire) and the best of an automatic (several reasons - laziness being the #1). That allows Nissan to keep there costs for the Auto tranny low and the overall price of the Titan low.

This strategy also hits the majority of truck buyers, who want auto, and some of the rest who want manual. There is only a very small amount of people who will still want the manual even though the Titan offers a manual shift mode. Nissan lets these buyers go to the domestics as the cost of pleasing them is too high.

kinda complicated - but it does make sense. a simpler version just says that Nissan aimed for the vast majority of the market by targeting the Auto people and added the manual shift feature to bring in some of the manual people.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think that there are few reasons.

Cost for the product line as mentioned above is certainly one.

Another is that automatic transmission is pretty standard equipment for tow vehicles, and the Titan is designed for towing among other things.

Finally is the amount of computer control and interface on this vehicle. A manual transmission will greatly undermine many of these contol systems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts