Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 07 4x4 and just ordered a PC stage one lift and some other componets from PRG and looking into tires. i like the way the meat-t-er m/t look but i drive 75-80% on road so i'm leaning more towards a/t. does anyone have any info and photos of some good tuff looking a/t's.
i read a write up on the toyo m/t and they seem like good tires but a little worried about noise and tread life. i don't do any crazy off roading just camping, fishing and bringing the dirtbikes to the trails. i'll be getting 35's or what ever metric tire is close to that. i'll probably be running stock xe rims until i can save some more cash for the black helo maxx 6.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
motosyco said:
have a 07 4x4 and just ordered a PC stage one lift and some other componets from PRG and looking into tires. i like the way the meat-t-er m/t look but i drive 75-80% on road so i'm leaning more towards a/t. does anyone have any info and photos of some good tuff looking a/t's.
i read a write up on the toyo m/t and they seem like good tires but a little worried about noise and tread life. i don't do any crazy off roading just camping, fishing and bringing the dirtbikes to the trails. i'll be getting 35's or what ever metric tire is close to that. i'll probably be running stock xe rims until i can save some more cash for the black helo maxx 6.
The Toyo Mts and the Cooper STTs (a personal favorite) should both last you about 40,000 miles and I know the Cooper's ride and like an AT, and they're quiet. I've never run the Toyo's, but the Cooper's are awesome tires IMO and they're priced pretty well also.

·
Registered
265 Posts
AT is probably what you want. They do better on wet surfaces (rain/snow) than the MT's and they are quieter.
I like the Nitto Terra Grappler and the BFG KO/AT. I'm told the BFG will give you longer tread life, but I was told the Nitto's are better in rain/snow which is important to me so I went with them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the magazine that i read the write of the toyo's on also did a write up on the coopers. both had good write-ups. so 40,000 on a m/t what should i expect in an a/t.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The Nitto's should get about 40,000 mi. , but the BFG's are known for getting even more like 60,000+ mi.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my brother has toyo a/t but they don't look all that tuff. he has 20" rims so the side wall is smaller then my would be since i'll be staying with the 17". he says he loves the tires but he doesn't go in mud that much mostly loose dirt and sand dunes. the terrain is diiferent out here in TN then CA.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
-Terra Grapplers: pretty good in sand, good in mud for an AT, good in rain, they should last 40,000 and they're priced well.

-The BFGs: last about 50,000, they're quiet, good in rain, good in sand, but they're horrible in mud and pretty expensive.

-Toyo Ats are pretty much the same tire as the Terra Grapplers and are made by the same company.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the price on the bfg's is what is keeping me away. i think i'm starting to like the toyo a/t more and more. does anyone have a photo of those tires in 35's with 17-18 rims.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have you looked at the Pro Comp Xtreme AT's? I just got mine not too long ago. They're doing good so far in the rain,snow,slush we have been getting lately here in MA. Not too noisy on the road at all. I just hope they last the 40,000 mi or so they say they're good for.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have my second set of Terra Grapplers and I don't think I would buy another A/T for the money. Great tire in rain and sand. Wears great. I say Toyo or Nitto

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
JTGUZ said:
Have you looked at the Pro Comp Xtreme AT's? I just got mine not too long ago. They're doing good so far in the rain,snow,slush we have been getting lately here in MA. Not too noisy on the road at all. I just hope they last the 40,000 mi or so they say they're good for.

I like the look of those PCs, have you tried em out in any sand or mud?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I think for the price it's going to be hard to beat the Nitto Terra Gobblers....We just had a bunch of rain, first since I installed the Nitto's and was very pleased with wet pavement performance. I run mine in the desert too, and so far they've worked very well...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
price will most likely be the deciding factor. the cheaper the tires the more of a chance i can talk the wife in letting me get rims at the same time. i do like the toyo and nitto tires, but i can buy my tires on post (army post) for cheap and i don't think they sell those. i think last time i bought tires for my old truck (bridgestone a/t) it was like 600 installed, but this time the tires will be a lot bigger. i hope theirs a sale on either toyo or nitto when it cames time to buy.

·
Registered
265 Posts
motosyco said:
price will most likely be the deciding factor. the cheaper the tires the more of a chance i can talk the wife in letting me get rims at the same time. i do like the toyo and nitto tires, but i can buy my tires on post (army post) for cheap and i don't think they sell those. i think last time i bought tires for my old truck (bridgestone a/t) it was like 600 installed, but this time the tires will be a lot bigger. i hope theirs a sale on either toyo or nitto when it cames time to buy.
Got my Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/17 out the door for $720.00.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Toyo M/T's, Nitto MudGrapplers, & TerraGrapplers are my favorites.

MudGrapplers are pretty loud where the Toyo M/T's sound more like an A/T on the road. TerraGrapps are cheaper than the Toyo A/T's around here and look a little better IMO.

You'll get a little better MPG's out of the TerraGrapps than most M/T's because they are mostly 8-Ply instead of 10-Ply.

I LOVE my TerraGrapps!! They handled every bit as well as my past Dunlop M/T's in the mud and sand and they do pretty well in the rain. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Its really hard to say. Getting 40k on a set of MT tires would be outstanding, but Im not sure I have seen it happen. While there are exceptions to every rule out there, most MT tires tend to get pretty loud. Personally, I havent owned a set myself, but I have two buddies who have them on their truck and jeep wranger respectively, and both of those are stiff and loud. I think they look mad awsome, but it depends on what you want to put up with.

AT tires typically get better traction in everyday conditions and *usually* last longer.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Its really hard to say. Getting 40k on a set of MT tires would be outstanding, but Im not sure I have seen it happen. While there are exceptions to every rule out there, most MT tires tend to get pretty loud. Personally, I havent owned a set myself, but I have two buddies who have them on their truck and jeep wranger respectively, and both of those are stiff and loud. I think they look mad awsome, but it depends on what you want to put up with.

AT tires typically get better traction in everyday conditions and *usually* last longer.
Well my dad ran his first set of Cooper STTs on his Super Duty for 35,000 miles then I ran em on my Titan for another 6,000 miles and they're just above the wear bars. Not all MTs are stiff and loud, the Cooper's and Toyo's are way less agressive than most MTs and they ride and wear great! Now I wouldn't recommend something like Super Swamper's or the Nitto Mud Grapps if you want something quiet, but I know for a fact the Cooper's don't get loud, my dad's on his 3rd set. My dad and I have always owned lifted trucks, so I'm pretty experienced in the tire dep't. I've owned more tires than most, and I'm only 20! But yes, generally speaking most AT's will outlast most MTs, but the Cooper's suprised the heck outta me with their excellent ride and how long they lasted. Ats will probably last you a little bit longer, maybe 5,000 miles, but if you decide to get the MTs I would go with either the Cooper's or Toyo's if I were you. And if you decide to go with ATs I'd recommend the Terra Grapps. Just speaking from experience. Although I do like the look of the new BFGs, they look like they should ride pretty nice as well as last pretty long. :cheers:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Megw3788 said:
The Toyo Mts and the Cooper STTs (a personal favorite) should both last you about 40,000 miles and I know the Cooper's ride and like an AT, and they're quiet. I've never run the Toyo's, but the Cooper's are awesome tires IMO and they're priced pretty well also.
So you dont like your TrXus tires?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts