Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed on both front tires there is abnormal wear. On the inside and outside of the tire tread, there is cupping and it seems really worn more than than the center of the tire. I have checked pressure and had it to a dealer for an alignment check and both are in spec. Anyone else having this problem. Thanks

Getting 24's soon.......
have pics later.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
TITE-N said:
I have noticed on both front tires there is abnormal wear. On the inside and outside of the tire tread, there is cupping and it seems really worn more than than the center of the tire. I have checked pressure and had it to a dealer for an alignment check and both are in spec. Anyone else having this problem. Thanks

Getting 24's soon.......
have pics later.....
Haven't noticed this problem but it has to be a tire pressure issue somehow

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
TITE-N said:

Getting 24's soon.......
have pics later.....
The only time I ever had a tire cupping problem was due to bad shocks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Gee, I guess that my original statements about the tire pressure are comming back.

Due to the size and weight of the Titan, Calif Titan and I both checked the contact patch and it showed low inflation on the fronts with the "door" recomendations. Not saying that 40 pounds is correct either, but you will want to be at 34-35 on the fronts for cold pressure. The tire manufacturer designs into the tire the additional pressure from the tire heating up which is why they state a cold pressure of 35.

Personaly, I believe this truck should have LT rated 6 ply tires on it. I will be changing to Toyo tires as soon as I can swing the cash.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
i am running 36 psi on my front tires, offroad package, and im still getiing the cupping issue and very noisey tires. i hate these bfgs even if they go better i have developed terrible tire noise within the last 1000 miles. i went a drove a titan without offroad and its a nite a day difference in the ride and noise. i didnt realize the ranchos were so stiff until i test drove the other titan for about 30 minutes

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
got_titan said:
i am running 36 psi on my front tires, offroad package, and im still getiing the cupping issue and very noisey tires. i hate these bfgs even if they go better i have developed terrible tire noise within the last 1000 miles. i went a drove a titan without offroad and its a nite a day difference in the ride and noise. i didnt realize the ranchos were so stiff until i test drove the other titan for about 30 minutes
how many miles did you put on the tires before you noticed cupping?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
bestatchess said:
how many miles did you put on the tires before you noticed cupping?
right around 1500-2000 i noticed excessive cupping and i upped my pressure to 36 and now around 5000 i upped it again to 37psi because its still cupping. i think these rims are to narrow for that big of a tire, the way its going im going to be back at 40 before the tires will wear right

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run my tires at 35 and check them once a week. I think it is a poor tire choice for such a large truck. I agree with the LT tire package. Anybody have any choices?

·
Registered
134 Posts
got_titan said:
right around 1500-2000 i noticed excessive cupping and i upped my pressure to 36 and now around 5000 i upped it again to 37psi because its still cupping.

i think these rims are to narrow for that big of a tire, the way its going im going to be back at 40 before the tires will wear right
you may be on to something there about the width of the wheel

I just went to www.tirerack.com

and did a search for 285/70/17" tires, 4 tires came up

3 BFG's & 1 Goodyear, only 2 had specs listed for rim width range

7.5-9" was the recommended range & looks like 8.5" would be best
www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tirespecskey.jsp#measrimwidth

so apparently 7.5" is at the lower limit for this size tire

·
Registered
473 Posts
There is one other tire option out. TOYO.

I have used Toyo tires ever since I was introduced to them. They are some of the best gripping, longist wearing tires I know of.

I know grip an wear are oxymorons. Toyo gets away with it by the tread depth.

size: LT285/70R17
Load: 121
Speed: S
Rim: 7.5-8.5-9.5
Weight: 49.6.bs
Tread: 17/32
Diameter: 32.76
Width: 11.50
Load: 2755

Most Tires give you 10/32" tred depth as you can see you almost get 2 tires for the price of one.

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
Doghouse said:
There is one other tire option out. TOYO.

I have used Toyo tires ever since I was introduced to them. They are some of the best gripping, longist wearing tires I know of.

I know grip an wear are oxymorons. Toyo gets away with it by the tread depth.

size: LT285/70R17
Load: 121
Speed: S
Rim: 7.5-8.5-9.5
Weight: 49.6.bs
Tread: 17/32
Diameter: 32.76
Width: 11.50
Load: 2755

Most Tires give you 10/32" tred depth as you can see you almost get 2 tires for the price of one.
Which Toyo tires would you recommend for 4x4 OffRoad using the stock wheels? Do they have a name or model # ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Doghouse said:
I had bought a set of Toyo tires in 1989 for my Mustang GT. The only problem I had with them was the loud road noise. For that reason I never looked at purchasing another set. Have you ever noticed it on yours?

·
Registered
47 Posts
My friends have BFGs on lighter trucks and run 40 up front, much less pressure in the rear.

Higher pressure diminishes ride qualtiy .... but it is a truck.

It might be hard to find a tire that can handle the Titan's load and tow ratings and won't need 40 psi up front to stop cupping.

And like got_titan wrote, the rim width is a factor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tires really worn at 7k

I just rotated my tires and the front tires have no tread on the edges and the back tires have no tread in the middle. I have called 800nissan1 and she has a ticket wrote up on the issue. Dont think much will be done but at least somebody there is looking into it.
They want me to leave it at the dealer. I was like why? Can't you look at the tie and tell it is wearing poorly. They checked alignment and pressure, both were correct.

Anybody want to sell some 44's........

·
Registered
29 Posts
got_titan said:
right around 1500-2000 i noticed excessive cupping and i upped my pressure to 36 and now around 5000 i upped it again to 37psi because its still cupping. i think these rims are to narrow for that big of a tire, the way its going im going to be back at 40 before the tires will wear right
ok guys im sorry i mised this post i believe if you did a search you would see my post about 2 months ago, i had the same issue with the rear tires then soon after the fronts , im an x tire dealer repair shop owner and was baffled why i had this problem especially on the rear but then i started puting some things together , first of all rec tire pressure is 35 psi from nissan ,the max tire pres on those bfg,s are 35 psi,doesnt kind of strange that they used a tire that needs to be run at max psi , when i checked my air pressure after i noticed the problem with the rears i had 40 psi fronts 38 rears, now understand that doesnt sound bad but the rim is only 7.5 so over inflation causes the tire to run more in the middle which can cause scaloping,cupping,feathering,on both tire edges and in the middle, so i call a buddy at michelin(they own bfg) and he feels the same as i air them down not up , you see we both felt they wanted 35 because the higher the pressure the more weight the tire can handle and the cooler they run not to mention gas mileage, so i lowered my rears to 32psi and took the left rear swapped it for the right rear so now they would spin the opposite (old tire trick)direction, whithin 500 miles those tires were PERFECTso try this and see how it works, also to correct my fronts i set them at 34psi and swapped them around. dont think about it TRY IT, hope it works.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I just noticed the cupping on my front tires (for SE 18" with 265x70 ) edges. Anyone have an update on this problem? Dealer said I may have to contact Goodyear (car at the shop at this moment for other problems too). My tires were set 35 cold but it may have gone up with the recent warmer temp.

Thanks

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sorry, Missed the posted question.

Toyo Open Country A/T. I had them on my last truck. They are about as loud as the Dunlop AT Rover. But a little louder than these when new. At the 5K mark, they both make the same amount of noise. Time to rotate the tires.

In short time, you should see other replacements.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nissan Corp says it is NORMAL

I just got a word back from Nissan and they tell me the cupping on the front tires and center wear on the rear is considered NORMAL tire wear. And they will not do anything about it. My dealership told me he has the same problem with any goodyear tire and recommends on the next set of tires not to buy gdyr.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts