Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 18 inch Magnaflow Muffler for about a month now and i noticed a strange sound the other day when i had the rear window open; since it was finally nice enough here in Reno to have the windows down.
I have the 18 inch muffler wih the stock pipes, and it sounds great at low RPM's, however when i get on the gas i hear a clicking/ Rattling noise. I'm thinking about taking it in where i got it installed and having them check the welds and possible replacing the hanger, but i wanted to know if anyone else had this problem and if it's just what the muffler does? I'm no expert. I searched other threads but found no info on this kind of noise.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I got a rattle/squeak shortly after replacing my muffler. Turns out that the hanger wasn't properly seated inside the rubber grommet and there was a little metal on metal contact. Could be as simple as that. Good luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DawgBone said:
I got a rattle/squeak shortly after replacing my muffler. Turns out that the hanger wasn't properly seated inside the rubber grommet and there was a little metal on metal contact. Could be as simple as that. Good luck!
Yeah, my problem is; it's a loud @$$ rattle. Almost to the degree of a ricer's coffee can exhaust. It's def. sounding like metal on metal, but only at high RPM's. And another thing to consider is that i can only hear this noise with the rear window open...... so i'm still confused.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to Midas today since they were the ones who installed the muffler, and they said that it's just what it does. Then the guy started to tell me that the "fiberglass lining" was burnt out; which is funny because it's a straight through design muffler and there is no glass pack....
So either they are completely full of $hit, or this is indeed what the muffler does naturally.
I guess i'll have to have a heavier foot from now on in order to avoid hearing this annoying noise.
Not to mention i just found out my back window rattles loud too if it's not in the right place.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I'm going out this afternoon, and I'll open my rear slider and listen. I have not heard anything like you described, just a deep mellow exhaust note that's almost better than sex...lol.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sudden urge said:
just a deep mellow exhaust note that's almost better than sex...lol.
Probably somewhere up there in the top 10....

I've noticed that the rattle only comes with the pedal pushed down about 3/4 of they way. If you just punch it, you're not going to be hearing it. I hear it most when i'm getting on the freeway and am giving it moderate gas to get up to about 70 mph.

Let me know how your trial(s) go.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Just got back from a few errands, and no clicking/rattling at 1/2, 3/4, or full throttle with the rear slider open. you must have something slightly loose or vibrating back there, not necessarily the exhaust, producing that clicking/rattle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Trust me, they are full of S??t I have had magnaflos on every type truck you can imagine, including my '04 Titan, and I never had a problem with them. I have cut one open, and there's nothing to fail inside of it. Plus they are stainless steel. So they don't know what they are talking about apparently! It sounds like a result of vibration. Kick the tailpipe and see if you can duplicate the rattle. If so, get someone to help you so you can crawl under the truck an find it. Check the heat-sheilds on the converers to make sure they are tight. But don't trust those amatures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts