Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all.
I have been reading a bunch of posts, but can't nail down what I am looking for, so I have to ask. I am searching for a good priced, lower miles, 04 LE CC, btw.

1. I have been talking to a couple dealerships that don't sell Nissan's. One Titan I am looking at, I can not tell if it has the tow package. How can I tell??
2. I am not pulling anything now, but have a quad and I am going to be adding to that, so pulling is in the future. How important is the tow package??
3. I am aware of the brake shutter problem. I have heard/read from a couple people different things. I have heard that the brake shutter was a recall, and I have heard that dealerships just serviced them. Either way, I would like to know if such service would be reported to a Nissan database or a car fax report, because a dealer handling the car third party, is not going to have all of that information on hand. I have one dealer running around for a car fax on his truck right now.
4. Lastly, I have heard of axle problems with some of the 04 titan's. Is this covered under the 60k power train warranty and/or is this something Nissan is covering beyond this warranty?

Any/All help here is huge. I am seriously looking forward to getting my hands on a Titan. I just sold my GTO to get a family auto :thumbsup: Thanks for the time!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Cordachine said:
Greetings all.
I have been reading a bunch of posts, but can't nail down what I am looking for, so I have to ask. I am searching for a good priced, lower miles, 04 LE CC, btw.

1. I have been talking to a couple dealerships that don't sell Nissan's. One Titan I am looking at, I can not tell if it has the tow package. How can I tell??
2. I am not pulling anything now, but have a quad and I am going to be adding to that, so pulling is in the future. How important is the tow package??
3. I am aware of the brake shutter problem. I have heard/read from a couple people different things. I have heard that the brake shutter was a recall, and I have heard that dealerships just serviced them. Either way, I would like to know if such service would be reported to a Nissan database or a car fax report, because a dealer handling the car third party, is not going to have all of that information on hand. I have one dealer running around for a car fax on his truck right now.
4. Lastly, I have heard of axle problems with some of the 04 titan's. Is this covered under the 60k power train warranty and/or is this something Nissan is covering beyond this warranty?

Any/All help here is huge. I am seriously looking forward to getting my hands on a Titan. I just sold my GTO to get a family auto :thumbsup: Thanks for the time!
i can answer numbers 1 and 2 for you. u can tell if its a big tow if it has the trans temp gage in the middle on the right side of the speedomiter. as for number two. you should be able to pull about 5,000lbs. without and about 9,500lbs. with

·
Registered
731 Posts
6500 pounds without. I believe. Don't lowball us :)

·
Super Moderator
161,009 Posts
If the Titan had any brake judder issues that were taken care of at a Nissan dealership, then yes it would be in Nissan's database but I doubt you'd find it in a carfax report. If it wasn't done, or wasn't done at a Nissan dealer, you'll probably strike out completely.

·
Registered
392 Posts
HemiETR said:
6500 pounds without. I believe. Don't lowball us :)
6,500 is absolute lowest on xe non big tow
that's because of crappy tires--get better wheels and tires and adjust accordingly

7,400 on se 4x4 non bt, 9,400 with big tow
add 100 lbs of towing for 4x2's

same^^^ for le's

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
As far as the rear axle crap goes....most 4x2's don't have the problem. The real victims of the blown diffs are the 4x4 TITANs with the e-lock. Seems like the mechanism is over doing itself and starts to eat up the diff. Nothing wrong with an 04, just make sure you look over everything too see all the right work was done to it to prevent future problems.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
BRACEYOSELF777 said:
As far as the rear axle crap goes....most 4x2's don't have the problem. The real victims of the blown diffs are the 4x4 TITANs with the e-lock. Seems like the mechanism is over doing itself and starts to eat up the diff. Nothing wrong with an 04, just make sure you look over everything too see all the right work was done to it to prevent future problems.

Were the blown diffs on the 4x4's fixed on the 05 model?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great feedback!
Am I mistaken in assuming that the rear diff problem is covered under the extended warranty?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've always been under the impression that the rear diff is part of the drivetrain... So, it would depend on your extended warranty but I think even the most basic ones cover that. I suppose I should look into it since I'm at 55K now.

I'm pretty sure I read here or in the warranty info that it's covered.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cordachine said:
Greetings all.

#4... Yes, I have a 04 with big tow. I had the dealer replace my entire rear end under warrenty. I dropped it off at 8, tooled around in a Magnum rental car (free) and got a call at 2 that it and the fuel sending unit were both done, truck washed and ready to go... I was very happy with the service (east side Zimbrick Nissan in Madison, Wisc.) It also cured the weak parking brake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts