Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do mostly highway driving with my T. It's an '04 4x4 crew. Bought it at 88K, now has 100K. Ever since I owned her, she has had a shake in the steering wheel, and the cab shakes at highway speeds. I have had the tires rotated, balanced, re-balanced and road force balanced. I have had the rotors checked for warping. I have purchased bilstein HD's for the front and yet no improvement.

Now I know a truck is not going to ride like a lincoln town car, but it should not ride like a wooden roller coaster either! Any suggestions? This site has been very informational for me as a new titan owner. Please help!

·
Super Moderator
37,254 Posts
new tires?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Do you have aftermarket rims? Where the balancing weight go often isn't ideal with them. Some have had success using DynaBeads which are ceramic pellets that can be poured into the tire, (don't know if they can with the sensors), or added when mounting. Someone said they saw a thread on Pirate 4x4 where some were using AirSoft BB's as a inexpensive alternative.

Larger tires are often harder to balance as well, and if they are out of round, even when they're balanced can cause vibrations.

I saw in your profile you run 20's ... I'd buy some stock rims from the buy and sell forum before ditching the Titan. Mine has some steering wheel vibration ever since getting aftermarket rims. Got them rebalanced once and they moved the weights closer to the outside, and it helped some but it's still there.

After it warms up in a few months I plan to paint or bedline my OEM rims and move the Terra's on to them, so at that point I will probably know if it's the rims or the tires, for my case, (not court case Lol).

·
Registered
766 Posts
Id say tires also...check for "bubbles". If the roads you travel on are bad(potholes), then they could cause them to "bubble".

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
front u joints, maybe?

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
We do have ball joints don't we? Bearings, Bushings worn or loose? They can cause all sorts of handling issues. Have an experienced mechanic check them out properly.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
u-joints (loose, sloppy, clicking noise)

balance weight fell off driveshaft?

driveshaft carrier bearing?

transmission mount?

motor mounts?

wheel bearings?

bent axle shaft?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I will have my mechanic check all the suggestions given. Tires are large, but they only have about 10k on them so I didn't think they would cause that much vibration. Anyway, thanks again for the input. This forum has been one of the best parts of owning my T.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I will have my mechanic check all the suggestions given. Tires are large, but they only have about 10k on them so I didn't think they would cause that much vibration. Anyway, thanks again for the input. This forum has been one of the best parts of owning my T.
I agree with the above suggestions.

Larger tires can wear out the front suspension early-no matter how few miles they have on them.

Is the shaking at acceleration, braking, early in the drive, constant?

As Bestatchess stated in that list, I'd check there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have had the same thing since I bought mine... now at 43K, I have had all the above things done also. now my dealer is back to the tires again... I am about to go in there and let him know I will buy any tire he wants me to run, if it fixes it, I will be quiet. If not, he pays for the tires and fixes the problem. very frusterating... I know your anguish

·
Premium Member
21,313 Posts
Find someone that has a Titan that doesn't have the shakes. Borrow their tires/wheels for 30 minutes and drive around. Shakes gone? It's the tires/wheels. Shake still there? It's not the tires/wheels.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
If the steering wheel is shaking when you brake, than that mean's your front brake rotor's are warped.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I had the same issue you are having. I bought my 04' at 87k and it shook, I did the works and no success. At 94k I got my 35s on, brand new Trail Grapps and the shake was gone forever. BF Craprich A/Ts were the issue for me.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Check the ball joints, bearings and check the tires for slipped or broken belts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts