Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 P4X
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AC runs nice and cold and everything seems to work great. I'm very use to hearing thr compressor click on, run, and click off when temps have been reached. When the AC cycles on I hear almost nothing..very quiet compressor actuation...sounds like just behind the firewall..and a whoosing sound that is louder than I have experienced on other cars. It sounds just like what it is....refrigerants going through a high or low pressure line. Just not use to hearing it.
I'm inclined to do nothing with a new truck and everything is working well.

Anyone have that?

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
The whooshing can be the clutch fan. If it’s really hot it may do it on occasion.

Clint

Reactions: mike21b

·
Registered
2021 P4X
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The whooshing can be the clutch fan. If it’s really hot it may do it on occasion.

Clint
It cycles with the compressor every 20-30 seconds. I think it might be a noisy expansion valve..but not sure.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
On a brand new truck, take it in and let it go on your service history.

Clint

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,317 Posts
Can't say I have the same noise. What I do get is a very loud clicking sound when I run just the vent after turning off the A/C. I second the suggestion above, just have it checked at your next service interval, although maybe sooner if you're like me and think that dealership oil changes are insanely expensive.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
AC runs nice and cold and everything seems to work great. I'm very use to hearing thr compressor click on, run, and click off when temps have been reached. When the AC cycles on I hear almost nothing..very quiet compressor actuation...sounds like just behind the firewall..and a whoosing sound that is louder than I have experienced on other cars. It sounds just like what it is....refrigerants going through a high or low pressure line. Just not use to hearing it.
I'm inclined to do nothing with a new truck and everything is working well.

Anyone have that?
Hvac system on these trucks is loud.. With radio off and ac on I can hear the compressor; especially during acceleration… as well as some hissing on passenger side.. I have owned a 17’ and 19’ and they all did the same. Turn hvac off and things are quiet and smooth…

U can go out and pay $10k to $15k more for a Ram or f150. No noise from my buddy's that own them…

Saving big cash or low hvac noise… Tough choices these days……

·
Registered
76 Posts
The A/C operation on my 2004 has always been quiet, unless the fan clutch is engaged - which nowadays is pretty much all the time. (I just wrote about that in another post) The fan is, by far, the most noisy part of the A/C, and always has been. Fan noise aside, I can hear the slight "click" of the compressor cycling on and off.

When the fan clutch is operating normally, it (the cooling fan) should only be spinning rapidly for a couple seconds when you start the truck up, and in hot weather, low speed driving. You can definitely hear it then.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I just got back from the dealership, shortest trip thus far. They brought a master tech to check the sound, and it literally took him about 10 minutes of feeling around behind the backseat like a freshman fumbling around with a dress after senior prom. He pulls out this 6"x1" piece of insulation and boom noise gone. I only wonder where the insulation piece came from, but he suggests that it might be a perforated piece that cuts out and is meant to be thrown away. Glad it was an easy fix.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,237 Posts
wow. that's crazy. apparently its common though since he went right back there

·
Registered
848 Posts
I just got back from the dealership, shortest trip thus far. They brought a master tech to check the sound, and it literally took him about 10 minutes of feeling around behind the backseat like a freshman fumbling around with a dress after senior prom. He pulls out this 6"x1" piece of insulation and boom noise gone. I only wonder where the insulation piece came from, but he suggests that it might be a perforated piece that cuts out and is meant to be thrown away. Glad it was an easy fix.
Behind back seat? Don't the seats fold down in the back? Also, is there a fan back there? I'm confused lol.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Behind back seat? Don't the seats fold down in the back? Also, is there a fan back there? I'm confused lol.
He folded down the back seat and got inside the carpeted insulation. I wanted to take a pic of the process, but I didn't want to look like a tourist lol. He folded down the seat, and put his hand in some sort of carpeting/opening and went under the seat. It was interesting that he knew where to look, but he stated that there are some vents under the seats (which makes sense as the airflow goes through the cabin). He was digging around near the jack.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Interesting...thanks.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Oh and forgot to mention, as I didn't need to drop the vehicle off, I got to drive back home. I pull out of the dealership which pulls into the service road for a highway. I saw a large Dodge truck hauling *** in the far left lane about a 1/8 mile away, which is the lane I was wanting to get into. Not wanting to be "that guy" that pulls into traffic right in front of the only car, I stayed in the right lane seeing that the light ahead was red. Having remembered someone here stating that most Dodge trucks have a lower rated V8, I decided I'd test the person's theory, and once the light turned green, I got a little on it. Sure enough, I was able to get enough distance to get onto the on-ramp. I'm not sure if the Dodge driver knew what hit him. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts