Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My ABLS seems to be working fine. I get both rears to drive in 2 wheel and all four to drive in 4 wheel.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Thanks for the link squid...
I copied Imadogmans post.

c The Anti-lock Brake System is disabled
and the ABS light illuminates when the
E-Lock system is engaged.
The electronic locking rear differential (E-Lock)
system can help provide additional traction one
of the rear wheels has lost traction.
Activate the electronic locking rear differential
(E-Lock) system when one of the rear wheels has
lost traction or when the vehicle is driven in
off-road conditions such as in mud, snow or
sand.
To activate the E-Lock system:
c the 4WD shift switch must be in the 4 lo
position,
c the vehicle must be stopped or moving at
speeds below 4 mph (7 km/h),
c and the E-Lock system switch must be ON.
Initially, the indicator light flashes when the system
is first turned on. When the system fully
engages, the light remains on.
The indicator light flashes if the switch is on and
all conditions for system activation are not met or
if the system becomes disengaged for any reason.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
E-locker is a good thing , but I hate not having a limited slip where you have to swap to 4wd for everything little thing when an LSD would just keep on, i will have to do something on this, Somebody has or will have an LSD out soon. I really been eyeing the new Frontier but it has the same set up.

·
Banned
67 Posts
I love the ABLS on my truck so far. As a matter of fact, it came in handy today for the snowy drive home. I didn't really know it was as slippery as it was until going up my hill, the SLIP light came on and could see both rears kicking up snow. I didn't even have to use 4WD. Normally I'd have spun the right rear (02 Frontier "LSD" was garbage in comparison)
I've never driven the truck into a situation where a rear wheel left the ground but, I'd laugh at anyone doing so that didn't use 4WD! In any event, i'd say if that were the case, and the one wheel in the air just spun, have it checked..somethings not right.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Titan2004 said:
I love the ABLS on my truck so far. As a matter of fact, it came in handy today for the snowy drive home. I didn't really know it was as slippery as it was until going up my hill, the SLIP light came on and could see both rears kicking up snow. I didn't even have to use 4WD. Normally I'd have spun the right rear (02 Frontier "LSD" was garbage in comparison)
I've never driven the truck into a situation where a rear wheel left the ground but, I'd laugh at anyone doing so that didn't use 4WD! In any event, i'd say if that were the case, and the one wheel in the air just spun, have it checked..somethings not right.
It dosen't take a lot to get one wheel of the ground in wash outs, not a real bad area, the diff couldn't transfer enought torque the other side in that situation, however as long both wheels were own equal footing it appeared to work in mud. But for true offroad situation, if i was in 4hi and cross my truck up over a rut one front up and one rear tire up guess where my 4 wheel drive would be, stuck. Would have to use e-lock just to get it over, if it had true LSD, it would drive over with out getting stuck first.

·
Banned
151 Posts
There seems to be a alot of confusion here concerning the differences between limited slips and lockers.

First of all the most common type of tracton aid on vehicals sold is a limited slip. It uses either clutches on cones to transfer torque between both wheels. It does NOT though transfere 50/50 which gives it only limited use off road and makes it far from ideal for maximum traction. It does have the advantage of being almost completely transparent in normal driving with little added strain on the rear axle components.The modern gm type is known as a "eaton locker" and it is a bit of hybred between the 2.

Detroit lockers were mentioned in the a few of the posts as well. Detroit lockers do distribute the torque 50/50 between both axles when locked, which is anytime exept when you are coasting around a corner. Detroil lockers have legendary strenth and offer very good traction but (and this is a big BUT) they have very querky handling on the street and do cause increased strain on axles. Their street manners are so bad that there are some that say that they should be outlawed on the street. In my own opinion they are adiquite on the street once you get used to them but you have to accept slowing down and coasting around corners. If you accelerate on a corner it will lock up and your out side wheel will scrub. The "Detroit locker is one of a few different lockers that all are similarly designed

Differentials such as the eaton e-lock and the air locker behave like an ordinary diff when not engaged and act like a spoil(both axles locked together) when engaged
in theory this will give you the best of both worlds, good on road handling and great off road traction. The reason that the titan doesn't give the driver is the ability to adivate the lock up in any range but low is to prevent abuse and unperdictable vehical handlings. When locked the e-locker will not allow any differential action meaning that it will be very tail end happy on slippery surfaces and will scrub the rear tires and put huge strain on the differential components in the dry.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
There seems to be a alot of confusion here concerning the differences between limited slips and lockers.
You are so right, in the case of the truck with one wheel up in the air, a clutch type L/S may not have helped as much as you think, although I think a tight L/D would have worked better then the ABLS. The ABLS is a "seamless" electronic answer for low traction situations, but not "no" traction situations.
The Detroit Locker can now have lighter springs, which dis-engage smoother and sooner, called a soft touch locker, we installed one in a 69' Camaro, and what a difference over the old Detroit!
I have a 2wd, so I'm really in trouble...not much help until the aftermarket comes to my rescue.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
one point that I'd really like to put out there is to not put too much stock in automatically locking differentials. You don't want the one that GM uses. It is "disengaged" all of the time until centrifugal force from one wheel spinning faster than the other causes the locker to actuate.
The detroit, on the other hand, is always locked unless you coast into a corner then it magically unlocks to save your tires and axles. this one is bulletproof and always work offroad.
also, Auburn gear has an electronically selectable locker like the Eaton E-locker. It works the same way and Auburn is a very reputable company. It is called, don't know why, the Auburn Ected.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I think the biggest drawback or turn off of the E-lock option on Titans is its low-speed limitations.
Often in Glamis I find myself wishing for a locker in the rear to get up sand hills. On flat or otherwise, the 2wd is fine out there when aired down.
Even if you had E-lock for getting up those hills in the sand, if your tires are SPINNING, the truck thinks it is moving faster than it really is, and unlocks the diff once you pass the speed limitation of E-lock. The feature is obviously completely useless at that point. Why have it.

Another thing, the axle is NOT a Dana 44. It is 'modeled' after a Dana 44 or Super Dana 44, like was mentioned that Rubicons have.

ARB doesn't offer a locker for us. Richmond Gear doesn't offer a PowerTrax locker for us yet (the best option.. not loud, not clickity, and is unlocked except when tires spin differently from one rear wheel to another) and Detroit TrueTrac is NOT going to be offered according to the rep. of their company that replied to my email. They said, despite the prototype at SEMA, the product won't be produced. No 'maybe' or 'some time in the future,' Just a NO from them.

I'm sure someone will make a gear swap for us to obtain a mechanical locker. The ARBs are notorious for their hydraulic and air leaks. Otherwise, a selectable locker would be most appealing to me. Saves tires on road, selectable when in bad off-road conditions. Until then, I'll rely on these wonderful, amazing stock tires for my sand box needs :jester:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts