Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was bored today and was reading the power mechancs truck comparison. Of course the Titan dominated all accelleration runs exept 40-70mph passing where it was slightly nudged by the chevy 6.0. Also the author made sure to point out that even with 1000lb ballast in the bed of the titan and was still faster than an empty F-150, tundra and silverado 5.3. At this point it became clear that someone or everyone is lying with there power outputs. So using the actual vehicle weights, 1/4 mile et's and traps plugged into a horsepower calculater netted these numbers:\
Truck rwhp crank h.p rated h.p.
Dennalli 6. 265 331.5 325
Titan 264 330 305
ram hemi 257 321.8 345
f-150 5.4 233 291.8 300
siverado 5.3 228 285.8 285
Tundra 212.6 266 240

Well as you can see chevy appears to be the most honest and has the strongest engine with the 6.0 but not by much. Dodge really needs to recalibrate there in house dyno or tone it down on the marketing hype before someone calls there bluff. Nissan and toyota are the biggest sandbaggers hehe, nothing wrong with some unexpected h.p. and the Ford is close to its rated output but came in last in all accelleration runs but one, yea even the tundra is faster, even with the ballasts in the back of both the tundra pulls the ford in 2 of 3 catagories thought that was purty funny hehe, heres the link to the article if interested:http://popularmechanics.mondosearch...n&hiword=titan+TITANIC+TITANS+nissan+NISSANS+

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Nice article, thanks for the link. So Denali costs $10,000 too much, Dodge is lying, Tundra is too small, and Ford can't go or stop, but has nice seats.

·
Registered
40 Posts
bestatchess said:
Nice article, thanks for the link. So Denali costs $10,000 too much, Dodge is lying, Tundra is too small, and Ford can't go or stop, but has nice seats.
Thats about the best summarization of the full size market as of today that I have ever heard.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's pertty good calculating.

We dyno'ed my Titan last week with 2,800 miles on it - 270 rear wheel HP. It was also dyno'ed at 500 miles and was 255 HP. Like fine wine, it gets better with age.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow 270 rwhp thats great to hear. It does appear to be safe to say that Nissan really underated the power output of the titan. Some might say maybe it just has a very efficient drive line, but if that was the case it seems that gas milage would be way better than the competition, it just simply puts out more power than the others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
actually those numbers look to be very inaccurate on the dodge, it was probably a 2nd gear pull which has been proven to be very inaccurate. Almost every third gear pull i've seen has been about on par with the titan. There was just a hemi over at Dodge truck world that dynod at 311rwhp and 339rwtq with a CAI and open exhaust, that same truck also ran a 13.71 at 99mph.

·
Registered
622 Posts
CADodgeHemi said:
actually those numbers look to be very inaccurate on the dodge, it was probably a 2nd gear pull which has been proven to be very inaccurate. Almost every third gear pull i've seen has been about on par with the titan. There was just a hemi over at Dodge truck world that dynod at 311rwhp and 339rwtq with a CAI and open exhaust, that same truck also ran a 13.71 at 99mph.
haha, that must be our friend hemi777 with his $200 bucks, no no, then it went to $100 bucks in mods, haha. that truck is also a regular cab right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually the fact that Nissan does not offer a regular cab option does not make a bit of difference. The topic was talking about power output of the motors and a regular cab Hemi is going to make the same power as a quad cab.

·
Registered
255 Posts
CADodgeHemi said:
Actually the fact that Nissan does not offer a regular cab option does not make a bit of difference. The topic was talking about power output of the motors and a regular cab Hemi is going to make the same power as a quad cab.

O god, here we go again.

I wonder if those dyno' results were before or after the coke bottle mod.

:jester:

·
Registered
622 Posts
CADodgeHemi said:
well of course the hemi in the regular cab is going to make the same power as the quad cab, what is your point? its the same motor, of course the regular cab is going to be faster than the QC due to less weight, and a couple things like removing the spare tire, sway bar, many things you can do to reduce time. someday that regular cab TITAN will come. either way, an apples to apples race of CC TITAN vs. QC ram ends with the ram looking at the nissan's tailgate.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ford should be the most embarrassed considering the new F-150 is slower than a Tundra 0-60mph and 40-70mph passing. The tundra is still faster when both are loaded down with the 1000lb ballast so its not running out of torque either. I think the ram and titan will be pretty close, but it is looking like the titan has the edge. The titan makes its power lower in the rpm range than the hemi and i'm starting to wonder if Nissan just advertised 305 h.p. at 4900rpm even though maybe it makes more peak h.p. at a higher rpm, either way its making more than the 305 nissan rated it at. Every stock hemi times I've put through the horsepower calculater one thing is clear, either dodge has the most innefficient drive train known to man or they inflated the hemi's h.p. numbers. I've also heard a stock hemi only puts down around 255-260 at the wheels, this falls far short of 345 at the crank. The F-150 on the other hand will need a supercharger to keep pace with the titan though hehe. I just wish I had a Nissan Skyline GTR to pull behind my titan what a combo that would be. TITAN ROCKS!

·
Registered
4 Posts
All of the stock 3rd gear pulls I have seen have been in the 260-270 range which puts drivetrain loss at about 23% or so. Has anyone had a titan on a dyno to seen what the drivetrain loss on it is? I'm not trying to start an argument or anything I was just trying to state the fact that alot of t he dynos you see on the hemi are second gear pulls and that just isnt accurate. Even in third gear you hit the speed limiter before you hit the rev limiter unless they pull the ABS fuse. And oh yeah the coke bottle mod as you call it... it's actually the catylitic converter mod, you just need the coke bottle to keep the O2 sensor happy.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
why? that's it!!! i'm going to trade my titan in for a dodge ram quad cab hemi just so i can prove to all that through 3rd gear pulls much higher and truer than the 2nd gear pulls. who gives a rats arse and why are we... nevermind - it'll never end!!!

bottom line - i love my Titan and its sandbagged horsepower!!!

bye the way anyone have problems with their daystar lifts?

·
Registered
202 Posts
There was just posted a dyno pull of 270 on a 2800 mile Titan. That is obviously better driveline loss than a 345 hp hemi. According to that a modded hemi should make the 311hp that has been talked about. I don't hear many other hemi owners talk about that type of numbers. Even the Dodge guys have a hard time believing what he is saying. He does seem to have a fast truck. There are a lot more hemi owners that haven't broken into the 14's even modded than there are 13 second trucks. I think most people hear hemi this and hemi that so much that they think all the trucks should run 40 hp better than a Titan. In most of the side by side tests this isn't true. Generally the Titan beats the hemi. If a hemi does win it is usually just at the end of a quarter mile. Very few of the trucks sold will not ever be raced that far. On the street most people will feel the 0-60 time because of how the truck feels. The Titan consistently beats the hemi there.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Well it makes no sense at all to me how a 2nd gear run can be inaccurate over a 3rd gear run. The dyno measures the same parameters whether or not it's on an inertia wheel dyno or an eddy current brake dyno. Sounds to me like there are a lot of people who don't run their dynos right if they are getting a difference between gears. Either that the engine is mapped differently for each gear - which I highly doubt.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The most accurate way to chassis dyno a vehicle is to try to run it in a gear thats as close to a 1:1 ratio, like most 4th gears in man. trans. The engine is only as good as the transmission its mated to, the horsepower calculators are pretty darn accurate, i would guess typically within 5 rwhp of the actual output. I haven't seen a publication wear any full size 4x4 truck beats the titan in the 1/4 mile or 0-60. Luckily I have two family members that both have Hemi dodge's and yes they talk smack, but it will be settled at the drag strip some time this spring, from driving all 3 trucks i know my titan is gonna be faster, the power difference is noticable from the butt dyno.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Bestatchess

bestatchess said:

Yup, just what Bestatchess said.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Bottom Line

bottom line is this: Mr Dodge is bummed because he owns a dodge and didn't wait or made the wrong decision and is now trying to justify it (why else would he be on TITANTALK). I had a Dodge Cummins and let me tell you....that motor was great BUT THATS ALL THAT WAS GREAT...the rest of truck fell apart...body seams started rusting quickley, brakes couldn't handle the truck (something the dealer once told me that the factory actually put 1/2 ton brakes on 3/4 ton fronts). The interior fell apart and looked shabby quickley....I take care of my vehicles and was happy to finally rid myself of that piece...Also, good luck getting any kind of factory or dealer support...another thing, I know many techs (BMW, Chevy, Saturn, Mercedes,etc) and they all agree when they worked for domestics (Saturn, Chevy, Dodge)...NONE of the mechanics gave a crap about their work....they noticed that many of the mechanics took advantage of the Big 3's deep pockets and did not care if the got comebacks or not. One of the reasons why my best friend went to Mercedes (yes i know, Chrysler sort of) is because he got sick of working with a bunch of lazy no caring people at Saturn and Chevy/Hummer in Reno. my $0.02

·
Registered
169 Posts
SupraTitan said:
Well as you can see chevy appears to be the most honest and has the strongest engine with the 6.0 but not by much. Dodge really needs to recalibrate there in house dyno or tone it down on the marketing hype before someone calls there bluff. Nissan and toyota are the biggest sandbaggers hehe, nothing wrong with some unexpected h.p. and the Ford is close to its rated output but came in last in all accelleration runs but one, yea even the tundra is faster, even with the ballasts in the back of both the tundra pulls the ford in 2 of 3 catagories thought that was purty funny hehe, heres the link to the article if interested:http://popularmechanics.mondosearch...n&hiword=titan+TITANIC+TITANS+nissan+NISSANS+
Supra, these are very informative. They got me thinking though. According to these, the biggest sandbaggers are the two that are using a 4.10 gearing. The Titan accomplishes this with the transmission and the Tundra uses a 4.10 in the axles. Now, please don't flame me, but this looks like the biggest advantage the Titan has is not the lack of weight or the engine output (which do help) but in its use of gear ratios in the tranny and the axles. If so, could this be the missing hemi horsepower?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts