Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just scored a set of dealer take-off 2008 18" wheels with nearly brand new tires from a fellow TitanTalk member. The dealer moved the TPMS stems from the factory wheels to aftermarkets that the dealer installed prior to delivery, so these wheels have standard stems in them. They have stick on weights installed, and I think it's safe to assume the dealer wouldn't supply these to the original owner without ensuring they were balanced.

That said, if I move my TPMS sensors from my existing wheels to these without moving the tires at all, will I need them rebalanced? Any idea how much difference in weight there is between TPMS stems and standard rubber ones?

Thanks in advance. :D

Tom

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Yes you can install you TPMS since your truck is programed to those TPMS, but you need to rebalance the tires due to removing the tires from the rims to install the TPMS.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But what if I simply deflate the tire, compress the sidewall and install the TPMS stem without moving the tire on the rim? The tire and wheel should theoretically stay balanced, but the only thing I'd be concerned with is whether the TPMS stem makes enough of a difference in weight to warrant a rebalance.

I'm not trying to take a shortcut here, I just don't want to waste time and money on a remount/rebalance if I don't need to...

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
You need to rebalance, the TPMS is heavier then the rubber stems. This is just my opinion.

·
Registered
674 Posts
ecmeyla said:
You need to rebalance, the TPMS is heavier then the rubber stems. This is just my opinion.
I just did this last month.....added my sensors to a set of stock wheels and no balance needed.....works just fine.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You may be able to get by, but it is not the right way to do it. The sensor is about 1 oz. heavier than a metal valve stem. I had the sensors mounted and tires re-balanced for $9 per at NTB. Well worth it.

I don't think you will be able to get the tire bead off without some tools. I let the air out and tried, it is pretty tough, I was afraid I was going to cut the rubber, so I gave up and took them in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks grnTitan - that's exactly what I wanted to hear. if they're 1 oz. heavier than a metal stem, they're probably even more than that vs. a rubber stem. A good balance means you aren't more than a 1/4 oz out, so I'm definitely gonna have them rebalanced. I guess I was just hoping they were close enough that it wouldn't be a problem.

I might try the local NTB, but I had something of a bad experience with them a few years back...but for $9 I can't really go wrong.

Thanks everyone...

Tom

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Good decision, good luck.

I don't know if the $9 is the going rate or what, I had some other tires mounted at the same time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, no sweat. I'm guessing it's gonna be more like $10-12 a tire, and I need them to move the TPMS stems from my existing wheels to the new ones, and rebalance both sets (so I have the old ones in case I need 'em). I'm probably looking at $80-100 for all of it. Oh well...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts