Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a guy the other day who drives a late 90's model F-150, and he said that he switched to synthetic oil, and is now getting 5+ more miles to the gallon, is there any truth behind this? I have an 05 Titan CC 4x4 and could use the extra milage.

Also, I was just wondering what additive everybody puts in their trucks. I have a Tacoma and I put the lucas additive in it, seemed to help, any suggestions?

Thanks,
Huston

·
Premium Member
58,372 Posts
Your friend is stretching the truth. Not just a little, but a whole lot. Your right foot can do more than anything else to increase your mileage. Period.

Synthetic oil can help, but not anywhere near 5 mpg. If synthetic oil helped that much everybody would be using it. It would be common knowledge. Synthetic oil has been around for decades. Your friend hasn't stumbled on to something that the rest of the country is just too dumb to realize.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
LOL! He's not telling the truth!:hellno:

·
Registered
248 Posts
No way :lol: . Synthetic does free up some hp which will help performance overall but 5+ mpg is far from realistic.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The only way to get five more mpg is to cover up your radiator and let your engine run as hot as it can. However this may lead to your engine blowing up.

·
Registered
844 Posts
What grade synthetic would you recommend for an 07 Titan?

·
Registered
62 Posts
5w30 . i run mobile 1. run about 7500 miles b/w oil changes. it is rated at 10k, i think. just dont feel comfortable going that long.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
mfield said:
5w30 . i run mobile 1. run about 7500 miles b/w oil changes. it is rated at 10k, i think. just dont feel comfortable going that long.
I wouldn't either after that many miles I wouldn't worry so much about the oil but the oil filter.

·
Registered
362 Posts
M1 every 7500 with a filter change half way. I am going to start 5000 mile oil changes during the winter months only because analysis shows my oil is getting abrasive due to my short trips to work and back every weekday. During the nonsummer months i don't take any real long trips with the truck.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't worry so much about the filter. The amount of wear particles in an engine is minimal. It's really only there in case you have some kind of engine failure. A bearing or a ring or something coming apart and putting a bunch of metal into the oil system. The filter traps the big particles and prvents the first failure from spreading to the rest of the engine and causing every lubricated part to fail. So, yeah, you need a filter just in case, but it's normally not filled anywhere near capacity from just normal wear.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
I know right? Yet the dealer wants to add all this BG conditioning crap to the coolant, oil and tranny. No way!
Yup! So who or what does the average consumer believe when they go to the dealer? I'll stick with pure fluids, adding only a bottle of RedLine Water Wetter, to my coolant, after reading reviews on it. But oil should do its job, coolant its job, and trans fluid its job. We shouldn't have to modify any of them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've been using Shell Rotella T on my turbo g35 with no problems. i plan in switching to Rotella T when I break the 10k mark on the truck.

·
Super Moderator
93,617 Posts
Stay away from the additivies, and stick with a good quality 5W-30 synthetic oil. Everybody has their favorite, but as long as you are changing it on a regular basis I don't think it matters.

·
Registered
142 Posts
huston said:
I was talking to a guy the other day who drives a late 90's model F-150, and he said that he switched to synthetic oil, and is now getting 5+ more miles to the gallon, is there any truth behind this? I have an 05 Titan CC 4x4 and could use the extra milage.

Also, I was just wondering what additive everybody puts in their trucks. I have a Tacoma and I put the lucas additive in it, seemed to help, any suggestions?

Thanks,
Huston
to put it bluntly, your friend is either a liar, or a moron. or, he thinks you're stupid.

·
Registered
693 Posts
As many have said before, additives just screw up the chemistry of the oil itself, and there are some pretty darn smart people developing the oils to think we can do better by tossing in a quart of some snake oil.

Synthetic all the way. Can't go wrong with Mobil. I use Mobil, and Penn. Platinum in the Titan (0w40 Mobil in the winter) and had absolutely incredible results in the wifes Maxima with the Rotella T synthetic, but quit using it when the price went up to be almost as much as the Mobil or PP.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts