Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have read over tons of threads on how to adjust the headlights, and i think i know how, my question is, what are the specs? I know i have to park on level ground, in front of something big and flat.

BUT, how many feet away? and also how much drop?

I plan on putting HID's in soon and i want to make sure im not blinding anyone.

·
Registered
626 Posts
i have read over tons of threads on how to adjust the headlights, and i think i know how, my question is, what are the specs? I know i have to park on level ground, in front of something big and flat.

BUT, how many feet away? and also how much drop?

I plan on putting HID's in soon and i want to make sure im not blinding anyone.
HID's WILL blind everyone. But it depends on where you live. If you drive around in Phoenix or Las Vegas with all of the good street lighting they have, people won't be so bothered. I live in the Pacific NW, we have terrible street lighting here. Dark freeways, non stop dreariness and rain. Fog. Snow. HIDs in a Titan is horrible in these conditions.
See, all headlights have a certain amount of glare in them, it is so you can light the periphery. Like signs, pedestrians, etc. When you put HIDs in, you increase the light in the periphery by at least 3x. That is glare. Aiming your beams down won't do a darn thing other than reduce the benefit to YOU of having HIDs.
Case in point, when driving around in a Titan with HID's, you'll notice as you approach people on a multi lane raodway, their interiors light up, brightly. It'll happen to SUV's, Semis, little cars, etc. This is a good indication of how strong your perphery, or glare, light is. Tell me you can adjust that down!
I've seen people on these forums with HIDs acknowledge these problems, but they just "LOL" and "haha" it away.

Anyways, like I said if you live in a area with high ambient light levels, HID may be OK and you won't need to aim them down. Just go to a level place with a wall and mark where your stock lights are. Put in the HIDs and check to see if the beam pattern is at the same level. That's all you'll need to do. Don't aim them down for crying out loud. That goes against what you are trying to do, which is improve upon to poor lighting of the stock headlights. Glare is glare and can't be aimed down.

Now for me, I only had my HIDs in for 4 days. I had to take them out because of our poor conditions in the WA state area. It bothered me to bother others. Not worth it.

Something to know about Titan headlights: They are designed around a 25 year old bulb, the 9006. The 9006 is a poor performer, and I was shocked that such a new vehicle would still use these bulbs. Most manufacturers only use 9006 in fogs nowadays. Maybe it's because it's a truck, I don't know. But our headlights start off in design from an outdated bulb, and in stock form have very poor performance. Titan headlights suck. HID retrofits exaggerate things. Everything that sucks about Titan headlights sucks 3x more with HIDs.

·
Premium Member
15,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wasnt planning on aiming them further down then stock, i just wanted to know what the stock setting is. I understand the drawback of HID and blinding others, but when i make the road trip to see my mom, they are all but mandatory. if you think your lighting is bad, try driving on a fresh paved blacktop, in the middle of nowhere, with no street lights, no other traffic, no moon, and minimal road lines, in the rain. Its not about keeping it between the lines at that point, you just pray you can keep it between the ditches.

I dont drive a lot at night anyway normally, and we have abundant street light where i live, so its not so bad.

My truck was wrecked, and is 5 years old, so i am pretty sure my lights arent pointed where they are supposed to be in the first place, but thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
626 Posts
i wasnt planning on aiming them further down then stock, i just wanted to know what the stock setting is. I understand the drawback of HID and blinding others, but when i make the road trip to see my mom, they are all but mandatory. if you think your lighting is bad, try driving on a fresh paved blacktop, in the middle of nowhere, with no street lights, no other traffic, no moon, and minimal road lines, in the rain. Its not about keeping it between the lines at that point, you just pray you can keep it between the ditches.

I dont drive a lot at night anyway normally, and we have abundant street light where i live, so its not so bad.

My truck was wrecked, and is 5 years old, so i am pretty sure my lights arent pointed where they are supposed to be in the first place, but thanks for the tip.
That's exactly what we are up against here. Black, wet pavement with no streetlighting 90% of the time. Remember, so are other drivers. In the PNW, window tint is not common, so think how you'd feel if you are driving a Corolla in these conditions and a Titan with HID's comes up behind you.

However, to answer your exact question, have you downloaded the service manual? It is in Section K, sub LT, Headlight for USA about 23 pages into it is where the headlight aiming procedure is.

·
Premium Member
15,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
doesnt really matter now, the a$$hole sold them out from under me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts