Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used '04 4x4 SE last year and I love it! The only issue I have right now is trying to rid the interior compartment of the previous owner's body odor. It's kind of like the Seinfeld episode with the stinky valet. I am reminded of the previous guy's BO every time I turn on the fan, as I am met with a shotgun blast of stink in my face. Air fresheners can only mask this stench for a day or two. I've used all relevant cleaning products on the cloth seats to no avail. I realize that the seats are only part of the odor problem, but they are tops on my list for replacement parts because the fabric is starting to fray in many places and they are beginning to look like schit. Can anybody recommend an aftermarket company that sells quality seats? I'd like to replace these with cloth seats, but I won't rule out leather. Also, what did it cost you to replace your seats? Thanks.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Any local reupholstery shop can do it for you. I am sure the stink has sunk into the foam as well so you might want that replaced as well. Or go to a junk yard and find a good Titan seat there with the same colors! Good luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Supposedly some places offer some kind of a process that removes the smell from the interiors of cars. They mainly use it for a smokers car. You might want to look into that. Or you also might want to talk to a professional upholstery cleaner. I know they do house furniture and get rid of pet odors, so Im sure that would be right up in the same area.

And for the smell from the fan you are claiming, you might be able to get rid of that just by replacing the interior filters. Some cars build up mildew in the filters and then it just blows the smell when you crank on the AC or fans.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
MrHunter602 said:
Supposedly some places offer some kind of a process that removes the smell from the interiors of cars. They mainly use it for a smokers car. You might want to look into that. Or you also might want to talk to a professional upholstery cleaner. I know they do house furniture and get rid of pet odors, so Im sure that would be right up in the same area.
There's a local detail shop that uses a BIG ozone generator to blow ozone through the interior of the vehicle. They do that as the last step after shampooing all the interior stuff, including the headliner. Machine looks like the ventilator they use for the manholes in the street. Cost is the same as a full detail job.

I had a buddy when I was detailing cars that swore by leaving a towel soaked in vanilla extract inside the car. Haven't tried that one but it might help. Also if you can, leave the windows cracked a little bit.

MrHunter602 said:
And for the smell from the fan you are claiming, you might be able to get rid of that just by replacing the interior filters. Some cars build up mildew in the filters and then it just blows the smell when you crank on the AC or fans.
You bet. Especially if you live in an area where there's lots of humidity. I hadn't noticed anything wrong, but my wife gets into my truck, and wrinkles up her nose... I pulled the filters and YOW it was time for a change... Hope this helps.

·
Registered
196 Posts
1. micro filter change
2 try fridgie fresh(sp?) i think its called. Your spray in into the intake vents above the hood. works pretty good.

·
Premium Member
31,979 Posts
shdw03 said:
1. micro filter change
2 try fridgie fresh(sp?) i think its called. Your spray in into the intake vents above the hood. works pretty good.
Yes! this stuff works very well. It will work best if you spray it in the intake vents and run it through a good long cycle while you have the cabin air filters out. As far as the seats.:dunno: Lets hope the smell didn't get imbedded in the foam.:eek:

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
throw some dryer sheets in the in cabin filter area?

·
Registered
218 Posts
my brother smoked in his crapy ford and it smelt horible and strong, we put a air purifier in there with thte windows up over night and it got rid of the smell

·
Registered
81 Posts
Before you go out and spend a lot of money try this first. Take two Red Delicious apples and cut them in half. Put them on paper plates in the truck (two in front, two in back) and leave them in there over night. When you get into your truck in the morning the apples will be dark brown. If there was any cigarette smoke in your truck it will be in the apples. It should also help with other smells as well.
I learned this when I bought a used Ranger when I was younger. I had to keep the windows down on the ride home from the dealer but the next day it was good to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts