Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Brand new to the forum, and to the Titan world.

I’ve wanted a pickup for years now, and I’ve started to have problems with my 09 Rio, so I’m looking to buy a truck.

Anyhow, a dealership in my area has an 08 Titan King Cab Long Bed 4x4 with 69k miles for just shy of $11k. Seems like a really good deal to me.

that being said.. I know there are many reported differential issues, and I really don’t want to buy a truck that’s going to give me issues right away.

So questions:

What is the general consensus on the 08 mode year titans?
Do you think $11k is a good deal for the truck (depending on condition, I haven’t seen it outside of pics online).
Is there anything in particular I should look for when I go check the truck out? (Especially related to the issues with the diff)?

thanks for reading!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Aside from the airbag recall these trucks(13-15) now have.Titans from years 08-15 have the majority of the kinks and bugs resolved.For the year and the mileage I'd say its a decent price assuming its leak free.The only thing you might encounter having to replace as you add miles on the truck is cracked exhaust manifolds and gaskets.When it does I'd shoot nightowl a PM or hit up cajunbpipes.But till they start to give you trouble I wouldn't sweat as much.

As usual test drive the truck on both streets and HWY get it nice and hot.Look under hood for any leaks from uptop and then put it on a lift and look underneath the motor for leaks in both the upper and lower oil pan as well as the hoses and rear main seal.Following that check the tranny's seals,the diff,and rear axles for leaks.And be sure to check the tranny cooling lines that connect to the radiator.

Though it may be low on miles its still a 12 year old truck,I'd expect a leak from the age of the gaskets and seals.But if none are found you should be good for sometime.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I haven't heard about differential issues on the titans. Axle seals can be a problem if you don't replace the factory rear axle breather.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the diff.issues he heard about were found in the earlier models(04-06,heavily on 05's),as some Titans from those years were notorious for failing rear axles&rear diffs.

Also I forgot to mention.Though this is not too common,another thing to look out for on the 08s in particular is the gear shifter getting stuck in park.Its not too common,but I have seen three different Titans in a shop having the same issue.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Interesting. I though those were all related to breather issue though. Blow a seal, axles fail? Maybe that was just my assumption bc of the known issue with the breather.

·
Registered
2004 Titan SE 4x4 Big Tow
58 Posts
I read somewhere that the E-locker rears were more prone to differential failure. I think as long as you keep fluid in the diff and don’t do repeated launches on dry pavement it will be just fine. Knock on wood my ‘04 with the original cover has been alive and fine for 169k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts