Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passenger side is cracked. I've gotten quotes for about $1400 using the Nissan factory replacement. My truck is a 2007 with 65k miles and I was hoping to keep it until 2020 (4 more years).

A) DIY or shop:
- I've taken apart a few motorcycles but shy away from wrenching on my truck as it is my DD. I've read the instructions a number of times and it looks hard. (I have no faith in my own skill set). Is this something I should attempt? I can dedicate an entire weekend (one day per side). I also have my daughter's car to drive if it turns out I can't finish it.
- Shop rate is $95-$100/hr with estimates being 4.5 per side

B) Cost:
- Cheapest is to get the Pacesetter for the one side ($300) and install it myself. Barring that, paying labor is $390...so $690 (plus misc parts)
- Could do both sides since I know the driver side will eventually go. That's another $690 (total for both sides of $1380)
- Go with the Cajun set up but that's $1500 + $780 (plus misc parts) for a total of $2280.

While I would love to go with the Cajun, I'm trying to justify putting that much into a truck I might not have in four years. I also need to do the rear axle seals (Nissan quote of $1600).

Questions:
1) Based on my explanation of my skill set, should I try this or is it worth the $390/side in labor?
2) Should I do both sides at once (no discount in labor) with Pacesetters or wait til the other side cracks? ($1380)
3) Trying to be cost conscious, should I go with the Cajun? The risk of not using them is that these Pacesetters will crack between now and 2020 and I'll have to pay to do it again. Note I don't care about performance. I'm an old man at 35. People try to race me on my bike and I wave at them.

[Please refrain from posting about how awesome the Cajun is. I already know, hence they are on the list.]

·
Registered
456 Posts
Do you have to pass emissions?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Mike brings up a good point. If emissions aren't on your list, you could just buy JBA headers and Uprev from Cajun (skip the b-pipes) and you'd be all set for less than the cost of the pacesetters installed. Those are known to be terrible in terms of fitment and durability, by the way. Do a little homework on them and you'll find enough instances of bolt holes not lining up and such that you won't buy them.

I don't have a dog in the fight, as I won't have to deal with the hassle nor will I make any money in the deal, but for me, as a numbers guy by nature, I see the headers and Uprev as the most economical solution.

Now, if you have to pass emissions, it's a different story. You may have to go back with factory or similar.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have to pass emissions.

Cajun said that with their package (headers/catted b pipe/uprev) I should not have CEL and pass emissions. We do both plug in and sniffer tests here. Bastards.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I wonder if you could pass emissions with the factory b-pipes? It might be worth asking Cajun.

Reactions: nightowl

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Passenger side is cracked. I've gotten quotes for about $1400 using the Nissan factory replacement. My truck is a 2007 with 65k miles and I was hoping to keep it until 2020 (4 more years).

A) DIY or shop:
- I've taken apart a few motorcycles but shy away from wrenching on my truck as it is my DD. I've read the instructions a number of times and it looks hard. (I have no faith in my own skill set). Is this something I should attempt? I can dedicate an entire weekend (one day per side). I also have my daughter's car to drive if it turns out I can't finish it.
- Shop rate is $95-$100/hr with estimates being 4.5 per side

B) Cost:
- Cheapest is to get the Pacesetter for the one side ($300) and install it myself. Barring that, paying labor is $390...so $690 (plus misc parts)
- Could do both sides since I know the driver side will eventually go. That's another $690 (total for both sides of $1380)
- Go with the Cajun set up but that's $1500 + $780 (plus misc parts) for a total of $2280.

While I would love to go with the Cajun, I'm trying to justify putting that much into a truck I might not have in four years. I also need to do the rear axle seals (Nissan quote of $1600).

Questions:
1) Based on my explanation of my skill set, should I try this or is it worth the $390/side in labor?
2) Should I do both sides at once (no discount in labor) with Pacesetters or wait til the other side cracks? ($1380)
3) Trying to be cost conscious, should I go with the Cajun? The risk of not using them is that these Pacesetters will crack between now and 2020 and I'll have to pay to do it again. Note I don't care about performance. I'm an old man at 35. People try to race me on my bike and I wave at them.

[Please refrain from posting about how awesome the Cajun is. I already know, hence they are on the list.]
I can't refrain form this question....an old man at 35??!! Geez, I must be a dinosaur.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I can't refrain form this question....an old man at 35??!! Geez, I must be a dinosaur.
LOL. I feel 45. Too much drinking in my 20s is catching up to me in my 30s. (Plus having a 15 year old and an infant will do that to ya).

I found a shop that quoted me an extremely low of 5 hours for both sides if I do it all at once. Its a fairly reputable shop in town as well. Is there some way of doing it for both sides that makes it that much easier? Because this puts me at $2000 for the Cajun solution which is within budget.

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
You will have to have custom bpipes to pass emissions the factory bpipes will not work. I'm afraid if you go the cheap route you will be back to square one within a year. After markets just do not hold up man. You will likely find both are cracked not just one and ifs it's just one the other will be soon after. Not just tooting my horn the Cajun route is the best bang for the buck just do the labor yourself.

Forget performance that is just a big ole bonus.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Agree the other will shortly fail too. Mine we're just changed this past October. The one failed followed by the second less than thirty days thereafter. It was the same story for my 2005 Titan.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will have to have custom bpipes to pass emissions the factory bpipes will not work. I'm afraid if you go the cheap route you will be back to square one within a year. After markets just do not hold up man. You will likely find both are cracked not just one and ifs it's just one the other will be soon after. Not just tooting my horn the Cajun route is the best bang for the buck just do the labor yourself.

Forget performance that is just a big ole bonus.
LOL. Quote from the wife: "Are you just trying to convince me because you want the headers?"

Your kit comes with the JBAs/catted B pipes/UPrev, right? And no CEL? And can pass emissions?

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
LOL. Quote from the wife: "Are you just trying to convince me because you want the headers?"

Your kit comes with the JBAs/catted B pipes/UPrev, right? And no CEL? And can pass emissions?
I hear that all the time but there's proof all over the forum and net that it's actually the best fix for the issue. To answer your question...yes,yes,yes and yes. All bolt on with no wire cutting everything included and the Uprev tuning is no extra cost. :wink:

·
Registered
456 Posts
LOL. I feel 45. Too much drinking in my 20s is catching up to me in my 30s. (Plus having a 15 year old and an infant will do that to ya).

I found a shop that quoted me an extremely low of 5 hours for both sides if I do it all at once. Its a fairly reputable shop in town as well. Is there some way of doing it for both sides that makes it that much easier? Because this puts me at $2000 for the Cajun solution which is within budget.
If you can afford it have the shop do it for sure. Even if they just do the headers and you bolt up the bpipes etc that is still worth it. You could help them out by pulling your fender liners in advance and spray a little pb blaster on the header and exhaust nuts each evening until you drop it at the shop. Even though they know what they are doning,make sure they use anti seize on the o2 sensors and plugs, along with your exhaust nuts. Be sure nissan oem gaskets are used too. I would make sure you have a few hundred extra $ in the budget in case you have an o2 sensor fail, you can get bosch o2 sensors from napa for 100$ a piece, nissan wants 200 for the same sensor. As far as your axle seals go I would get one of Jeffs axle vent kits and install it yourself. Clean up the leaks and then change your differential fluid. This should run you 100$ tops if you do it yourself as it is very easy. Just keep an eye on the axles and see if the leak stops, I did this to my titan a year ago and my axle seals have been leak free.

·
Registered
284 Posts
whatever you do, go JBA.

Reactions: nightowl

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Stay away from Pacesetters at all cost.

If you take it to a shop pull your catback yourself. Won't do anything to the truck. It shouldn't take a shop more than 6 hours total even for a 4WD if they just swap headers and b-pipes.

Don't do just one side, it'll mess with your engine.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I'll be doing headers eventually, but until then I have "repaired" my manifold. I wrapped some header wrap around the crack and clamped it tight with hose clamps.....works great!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for your input. My original plan was to go with cajun...even if I wasn't after performance. I couldn't justify the almost $900 in labor (at the time). I found a very reputable shop and the price was inline with my budget.

The shop is actually going to do my brakes, ATF flush, pinion seal, and rear axle seal while they do the manifolds. Best rate in town. I know I can do the brake fluid and ATF but for the prices they are charging, I'll just leave it to the pros.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. My original plan was to go with cajun...even if I wasn't after performance. I couldn't justify the almost $900 in labor (at the time). I found a very reputable shop and the price was inline with my budget.

The shop is actually going to do my brakes, ATF flush, pinion seal, and rear axle seal while they do the manifolds. Best rate in town. I know I can do the brake fluid and ATF but for the prices they are charging, I'll just leave it to the pros.
That's a great deal, you should still install an axle vent kit though as there is a good chance that your factory vent failed causing your seals to blow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts