Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 titan SE 4x4. I am new to the truck scene, but have always bought name brand tires. I went to a 4 wheel drive shop, looking into a leveling kit and wheels and tires. I decided to get the Helo wheels Maxx 6 and the guy wants to sell me the Nitto dura grappler tires size 285/65/18. He says it won't rub. The question that I have....I have never heard of Nitto but like I said earlier, I am new to the truck scene. Tire Rack shows that the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo are very good tires but I don't see that size. Which tire would last the longest? 95% highway driving, 5% off road but the 5%, I don't wanna be stuck! Which would be the best? I live in Southwest Virginia where we do get heavy snow at times, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I'd pass on the Dura-Grapplers since they are a hwy. tread. They'd be fine on dirt roads, but don't have the traction of an AT.

The Nitto Terra Grapplers are a good AT, as well as the BFG AT KO and the Toyo, (Toyo makes Nitto). Many sizes in the BFG AT KO have the severe weather rating which means they are sometimes exempt from snow chain controls.

These are offered in light truck, (LT), sizes, which are tougher than the P-metric ATs like the Bridgestone Revo, (some of their smaller sizes are offered in a LT). The LT's stiffer side walls roll under less in higher speed cornering which is a big advantage for on road, and the LT sizes have greater load capability, but only at inflation pressures approaching their maximum.

How wide are the Helos and what's their offset or backspacing?

Nitto Terra Grappler:
LT275/70R18 E 125S 200-910 15.6 33.27" dia. 10.94" width on an 8" wide rim, and about 11.2" width on a 8.5" rim. 7.0-(8.0)-8.5
LT285/65R18 E 125R 200-810 16.5 32.52" dia. 11.22" 8.0-(8.5)-10.0
The 1st one above, the 275, shouldn't be mounted on a rim greater than 8.5"

BFG AT KO:
LT285/65R18/E 125R RWL 67553 8 - 10 11.5" on 8.5 32.7" dia.
LT305/65R18/E 124R RWL 35237 8.5 - 11 12.2" on 9 33.7" dia.

Toyo Open Country AT:
LT285/65R18 125S E/10 300630 8.0-8.5-10.0 57 17 32.5" dia. 11.4" on 8.5 width rims.

For a level kit contact PRG. Contact info. at PRGproducts.com

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i'd suggest the terra grapplers, i just put a set on my truck and love them, they're great on road, hardly any road noise, and so far they've easily handled everything i've thrown at them offroad (some hard packed dirt roads, mud, and pretty sandy soft stuff)....

i was in your shoes not too long ago looking for new tires and did alot of reading on the forums here, finally helped me decide on the nittos....norcal kinda helped push me in that direction (thanks buddy :thumbsup:)...

also, like norcal said, if you're looking for a leveling kit, check out prgproducts.com they have great stuff, i just had some new shocks and coilovers installed by them, and i love them....

welcome to the forums man, any other questions, we'll be happy to help you out....:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys. The work up sheets states helo 18x9 with 4.5 I think that is the off set. The leveling kit is BDS. Would the terra grappler be better than Dura,I notice it on Nitto web page. Thanks

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
danny2623 said:
Hey guys. The work up sheets states helo 18x9 with 4.5 I think that is the off set. The leveling kit is BDS. Would the terra grappler be better than Dura,I notice it on Nitto web page. Thanks
The 4.5 is the backspacing, and since it's an inch less than stock, and the wheels are an inch wider, they will stick out 2" more. You are probably better of with the 285/65/18s instead of anything wider and taller. If they rub anyway, (at full steering lock), then you can do the pinch-weld mod.

The Nitto Terra Grapplers are very nice, but for a lot of snow driving, I'd pick the BFG AT KO, since it's has the Severe Weather rating making essentially a snow tire. But unlike typical softer compounded snow tires, most owners get greater than 50K miles out of them. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rch=false&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=865R8ATAKO

Also haven't heard much about the Nitto TGs in the snow from the members.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts