Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

The reason for this unfortunate post is that my same loving wife who allowed me to get a new Titan decided to close the garage door today. Only problem was I was only half way in at the time.

She was driving behind me, and out of habit hit the garage door button. Now my Titan has about 382 scratches across the roof of about 3 inches in length.

We're talking deep scratches from the gravel that clings to the bottom of the garage door seal.

Anyone have any idea on what to do, and how much a body shop will charge me to get this fixed? (Along with the door ding).

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it; I'm 6'-2" and can't even come close to seeing what's on the roof. The only way anybody is going to see the scratches is if they are flying low in a helicopter. I would try to buff it out if I could but I wouldn't fret.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Same comment. Try buffing it out first, or using a touch up pen. No one will see it! I have a hard time washing and drying the roof.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd normally agree, but I should be more specific. It's on the front part, just above the windshield so you can see it from the front.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
DD,

Well if it is only 'scratches etc in the paint and no dents or cuts, it can be redone pretty reasonably. Is it just 'inside' the two roof channels or did it go out past that?

If inside the channels, they can wetsand that portion, respray and clearcoat it for around $400-$600 depending on the shop you take it to.

If it is outside the channels, its going to take a little more work and probably a repaint of the whole roof to a 'good' line to blend.

I feel for ya bud. My wife tapped someones rear tire with the front corner of the bumper on her 2k Grand Am 3 weeks after we had bought that (Bright white car with big Black scrapes!). I did actually manage to buff most of that out but I did have the whole front bumper repainted (I removed and took it to them) for $180.

Walk up, give her a big hug and tell her its OK. Cause I am sure she feels about an inch high right now.

Chris

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just went out and washed off a bit of the Minnesota winter dirt and grime off of the top to better determine the damage. It's actually not as bad as i thought. Buffing should take care of almost all of it. From there a small touch up could finish the job.

I'l sleep better now, and so will my honey.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
dd564 said:
Hello all,

The reason for this unfortunate post is that my same loving wife who allowed me to get a new Titan decided to close the garage door today. Only problem was I was only half way in at the time.

She was driving behind me, and out of habit hit the garage door button. Now my Titan has about 382 scratches across the roof of about 3 inches in length.

We're talking deep scratches from the gravel that clings to the bottom of the garage door seal.

Anyone have any idea on what to do, and how much a body shop will charge me to get this fixed? (Along with the door ding).
dang, too bad you don't have one of those garage doors like do that has sensors on each side of the garage...that way when it detects motion, the garage door goes back up. sry man :(

·
Registered
190 Posts
If your wife is 36 she is not yet fully depreciated yet, You can still trade her in for a pair of 18 year olds..

If she is over 40 you are sort of screwed..

Tony B

·
Registered
152 Posts
tbeecher said:
If your wife is 36 she is not yet fully depreciated yet, You can still trade her in for a pair of 18 year olds..

Tony B
ROFLMAO..........:rofl:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Howie Kaluha said:
dang, too bad you don't have one of those garage doors like do that has sensors on each side of the garage...that way when it detects motion, the garage door goes back up. sry man :(
I do have the sensor, but it's at wheel height, so my front wheels were already past the sensor, and the back wheels weren't there yet.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tbeecher said:

Tony B
Hmm... She's 26, so I might be in pretty good shape yet. Will probably have to keep her a while.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Memphis4x4 said:
Yeah....let's not try Tony's Trade-In calculations on that age.....that's too scary! You'd better keep her.
Oh, I see, I thought Tony's trade-In calculations were pertaining to bra size not age.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
"If your wife is 36 she is not yet fully depreciated yet, You can still trade her in for a pair of 18 year olds."

Yeah, but insurance, fuel, and maintenance will cost big $$ with the 18 year olds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts