Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks, I just signed up. It's time to retire our clapped-out old 5.2litre 4x4 Dakota, and I really think we want to make the move to an import. Around here (Calgary), used Titans seem to be in our price range. So far, we've seen a few 2006 w/ 5.6 litre engines that are pretty high-miles - 300,000-350,000 km.

This isn't going to be a daily driver or anything; we really need it for occasionally pulling a two-horse trailer, but it's gotta have some guts.

My concern is about the miles. Up in this range, what are the typical problems and failures? Fwiw, I wrench a lot of Subarus, so I expect to be doing whatever work is necessary myself.

Thanks.

Jonathan

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hello and welcome from Texas !

im sure if you look around on this and other Titan related forums you will see several issues related to these trucks.

I'm on my second 1st gen Titan and so far both of mine were trouble free except normal maintenance and brakes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear from you. I''m looking for the briefest thumbnail sketch. For example, the generation of Subaru 2.5 litre engines I'm into are well-understood to be due for head gaskets when they get into the 350k km neighborhood - it's a totally typical failure of this engine at high mileage. Are you telling me that a similar miles the engine and drivetrain are still rock-solid and good for a few hundred more? Only needing brakes and routine maintenance at high-mileage seems kind of like magic.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
At that mileage your engine and transmission will likely be fine (300km translates to roughly 160k miles, no?). Exhaust manifolds will be cracked or about to crack, which will eventually ruin the catalytic converters and (possibly) damage the engine. Radiator may be due for replacement. Clamps on transmission and power steering hoses will need to be replaced. Rear axle seals might be weeping. Beyond that you're talking typical higher mileage wear stuff like suspension and brakes.

I had 2 2004s and just sold my last one in January at almost 160k miles. The engine and transmission on it were still fantastic. Other stuff was starting to go.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Check the trans cooling line clamp comes loose or the hose dry rots also the exhaust after the muffler breaks and can melt wires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts