Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Titan owners,

I had some great mods done over the weekend that I wanted to share with everyone. This was done on my 2008 Nissan Titan SE 4-Wheel Drive Long Bed.

AEM Brute Force CAI (P# AEM-21-8502DP) = $261.99
Bully Dog GT (Gas Tuner) (P# 40410) = $324.79
22" Magnaflow Muffler (P# 12588) = $195.00
12" Magnaflow Exhaust Tip (P# M/F35113) = $51.84
Blend Mount for Bully Dog = $61.25
Total Install Cost = $189.25
Total Cost = $1,084.12

I am not really a "do-it yourselfer" so I had everything installed by a couple of local shops. I could have gotten the muffler about $70 little cheaper by ordering online, but the shop had it in stock at the time and I didn't want to wait another week for delivery from somewhere else. Plus I didn't have the tip at the time of muffler install, so he said I could just bring it by next week and he will weld it on for no extra charge. I purchased the Blendmount after the intial install of the Bully Dog, so I did install that myself. It was a very simple install. Screwed the mount to the mirror stem, ran the wires under the headliner, took off the A-Pillar and ran wires down and under the dash.

Everything seems to work nicely. I really haven't had a chance to test the bully dog, but so far I am really liking what it is able to do. The muffler is great, not too much louder than stock, haven't really noticed any drone. I asume it will get a little louder the more I drive it though. The CAI looks great, but I only have one small minor issue. When I step on it hard, I get a small vibration for a brief 2-4 seconds and then it goes away. It sounds like its coming from under the hood and maybe somewhat under the dash. Its really hard to pinpoint. I took it back to the installer and they said they have heard of this happening before. Its really hit and miss as to which trucks it affects they say. There was nothing they could do so I guess I will just have to live with it. One of the techs said it could be the heat shield, or the harmonic balance may be off due to adding this intake. They just dont have any idea. I can live with it since it doesn't happen during "normal" driving conditions and when I step on it, it only last for a few seconds and its gone. If anyone has run into this problem before, please tell me how to fix, Im all ears.

I posted a few pics, I hope they come out decent. I know the Bully Dog install pic is a little hard to see, but the light wasn't on my side. This is my first post, so I hope its a good one and it is informative to everyone.

Attachments

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Vendor
7,924 Posts
You will love the bully dog. Only mod I have done so to my 05 and it is a different ride. How hard was it to run the hdmi cable under the head liner? I was thinking of getting a blendmount for my dog also. What length cable did you have to get?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I also had the vibration/buzzing sound when I installed my k&n intake...eventually it went away but it's definitely annoying!! I have no idea what causes it though.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I have that problem also.. The vibration with my injen, no idea how to fix it just been dealin with it, no problems so far. Also with mounting your dog there did u just go buy a longer cable I guess?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You will love the bully dog. Only mod I have done so to my 05 and it is a different ride. How hard was it to run the hdmi cable under the head liner? I was thinking of getting a blendmount for my dog also. What length cable did you have to get?

When you purchase the BlendMount, it actually comes with the cable that you need. Its a 10 foot long HDMI cable. As far as installing it under the headliner, very easy. Just take a screwdriver or even your finger and carefully pry down the headliner and push the wire inside. The A-Piller came off easy as well, just unscrew the "oh sh*t" handle (2 screws) and carefully pry the piller cover off.

Reactions: jchaffintitan

·
Vendor
7,924 Posts
When you purchase the BlendMount, it actually comes with the cable that you need. Its a 10 foot long HDMI cable. As far as installing it under the headliner, very easy. Just take a screwdriver or even your finger and carefully pry down the headliner and push the wire inside. The A-Piller came off easy as well, just unscrew the "oh sh*t" handle (2 screws) and carefully pry the piller off.
Thanks man!! I just ordered a JBA catback and S&B CAI to go with the Dog. Then I will clean up the dog with the blendmount..

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would like to know what that noise is. I had my CAI installed for a few months and no sound. Took truck to the dealer for the IPDM recall, then I start hearing the noise you are talking about. Drives me nuts, but its good it only happens when I romp on it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hello fellow Titan owners,

I only have one small minor issue. When I step on it hard, I get a small vibration for a brief 2-4 seconds and then it goes away. It sounds like its coming from under the hood and maybe somewhat under the dash. Its really hard to pinpoint. I took it back to the installer and they said they have heard of this happening before. Its really hit and miss as to which trucks it affects they say. There was nothing they could do so I guess I will just have to live with it. One of the techs said it could be the heat shield, or the harmonic balance may be off due to adding this intake. They just dont have any idea. I can live with it since it doesn't happen during "normal" driving conditions and when I step on it, it only last for a few seconds and its gone. If anyone has run into this problem before, please tell me how to fix, Im all ears.
You need to mount the CAI on top of a something that cushions. Somone on TT recomended using a computer mouse pad as a cushion but I used some packing polyfoam that I had laying around.

Watch my video from when I installed my S&B CAI and you will see the pink foam going under the CAI New S&B CAI video by NoFishNick - Photobucket

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
AEM doesn't stamp their name on the intake tube anymore? Looks naked without it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks man!! I just ordered a JBA catback and S&B CAI to go with the Dog. Then I will clean up the dog with the blendmount..
Its a sweet mount. The suction cup mount was so long that the Bully Dog would shake a bit while driving which made it hard to read. The blendmount is solid and doesn't shake at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AEM doesn't stamp their name on the intake tube anymore? Looks naked without it!
It is a bit naked without the stamp. They give you a couple of stickers to put on if you want.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It is a bit naked without the stamp. They give you a couple of stickers to put on if you want.
I just did the exact same mods as the OP. Only difference is I used the 18'' magnaflow instead of the 22''. Yeah the AEM comes with a nice sticker which I put on the intake tube. Also the muffler shop didn't need to add those pipes going into the magnaflow like they did. All they had to do was cut the driver's side exhaust pipe and rotate it 180*. I would not have been very happy with the exhaust work they did for you, the pipes just dont look like they flow as effeciently as possible. Look at the thread titled San Antonio Titans and look how the muffler swap is supposed to look like. Not hating just think that the muffler shop dropped the ball on that install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just did the exact same mods as the OP. Only difference is I used the 18'' magnaflow instead of the 22''. Yeah the AEM comes with a nice sticker which I put on the intake tube. Also the muffler shop didn't need to add those pipes going into the magnaflow like they did. All they had to do was cut the driver's side exhaust pipe and rotate it 180*. I would not have been very happy with the exhaust work they did for you, the pipes just dont look like they flow as effeciently as possible. Look at the thread titled San Antonio Titans and look how the muffler swap is supposed to look like. Not hating just think that the muffler shop dropped the ball on that install.
I'm happy with it. The passenger side flows straight through and the drivers side has a slight curvature to meet up with the inlet. I'm not sure what you mean by rotate the drivers side 180*. It was just a straight pipe before since it married up to the old muffler perfect and with this muffler the dual inlets are 2-3 inches closer together. My picture may look a little deceiving with the angle of the shot.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
That's a nice list of mod's right there!!! It's got to feel like a totally different truck now! :)

This remind's me...i need to clean my air filter!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a nice list of mod's right there!!! It's got to feel like a totally different truck now! :)

This remind's me...i need to clean my air filter!
It's a lot more responsive! 

·
Registered
179 Posts
Here's the muffler swap I did and notice the 180* turn on drivers side pipe. This tecnique was recommended to me by Shailey who is a Titan Guru of sorts on Mighty Titan. No additional piping needed as the stock pipe on the drivers side bends away at the stock muffler. All u needed to do was turn the drivers side pipe 180* which would then turn the stock pipe inwards to match up perfectly with the magnaflow's closer inlets. Hey if u are happy with your muffler swap that is all that matters.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Look's fine to me... Some place's expand the end's of the pipe to get a more "flush" fit, but what the OP has look's like they just butted the pipe's up end to end, which work's too, just not as smooth of a transition.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts