Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my AFE kit yesterday and installed it. This is a very easy install...took me about 30 minutes. The kit is very well made, imo. You can tell a lot of time was put into the development of the kit.

Things I like:

HUGE inverted top filter. I calculated the sq area at around 179 sq in....more than enough for a 341 cu in motor....even with a SC. This filter is good for over 1000 cfm. The inlet boot is 4 3/8" i.d. Base = 8.5", Top=6.25", Length = 6.25". Inverted top inlet accounts for about 25 sq in of the 179 total sq area. The pleats are wide and deep, and AFE uses an oil that is more MAF-friendly than the K&N, supposedly. Unlike the K&N oil, it contains no sticky surfacant, which is what can cause the oil to stick MAFs, and possibly cause failures. I believe the owner of AFE worked for K&N for some time, according to an aquaintance.

Inlet tube tapers from filter inlet at 102 mm to 80 mm at mid-pipe, to 75mm at TB inlet. This should give better velocity than a tube with consistent i.d. throughout.

Kit incorporates a factory style reso chamber which in testing from AFE, and my own research on the web, has shown an increase in low-end torque. It also does some noise cancellation as well.

Exit tube from heat shield is flange-bolted, so no leakage. Also, the shield re-uses the factory rubber isolators for mounting which helps with noise isolation from vibration. It also re-uses the oe box upper mount hole by the ABS unit.

Heat shield has a lid, which helps keep most of the engine heat out, and helps with noise.

TB inlet tube fits (barely) with the Airaid TBS....no cutting of tube or boot required. I have maybe 1/8" of clearance to radiator.

Better performance than my Volant. Butt-o-mometer says more power throughout the power band. My scan tool verified this. I ran three 0 - 80 runs with the Volant. Max MAF reading was 26 lbs/min (356 cfm) at 5400 rpm. Installed the AFE and ran same test, again, three runs. Max MAF reading was 31.08 lbs/min (425 cfm), a difference of 70 cfm.

Don't like:

Not a true CAI like Volant or factory box. So, increased cfm may be offset somewhat by higher IAT's. Need to do some testing to see how much it is affected.

Slight vibration at 2800 rpm....haven't had time to check problem. I don't think it's gonna be a big deal, though.

Pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
More pics....

Attachments

·
Banned
282 Posts
THANK YOU ROCKY! Looks like this is the intake I am going to go with. Now to save up for a few weeks and Ill place my order. Do I have the green light? lol Cheers- Chris

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whistler said:
THANK YOU ROCKY! Looks like this is the intake I am going to go with. Now to save up for a few weeks and Ill place my order. Do I have the green light? lol Cheers- Chris
I think you'll be happy with it! I still need to spend some time with this kit installed before I can officially sign off on it....but short-term impressions are good!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
How much did it set you back?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
titanse05 said:
How much did it set you back?
Performancediesel.com out of Houston... they had it for $299/shipped. Their site lists it for $316 now, though. Call Brian direct (great guy), see if he'll honor the $299 price. I think got_titan found it at sparkplugs.com for $295 plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gr8titan said:
Very nice!! The cone filter appears to have more surface area than the Volant. :cheers:
The Volant has 120 sq in of surface area, which will flow about 720 cfm, so should be more than adequate. A 341 (5.6L) cu in motor will flow a max of 592 cfm @ 6K rpm, and that's at 100% VE, which of course is much more than our motors pull.

More surface area will allow for a longer period before the media loads up. I may get the pre-filter ($35...ouch!) for it if my silicon levels come back high on my next oil analysis. Also, with the combination of the inverted top in close proximity to the fender opening, and the radiused "velocity stack" inside the filter exit, the motor shouldn't have to work as hard to pull the air it needs.

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
import2nr said:
does having an aftermarket CAI give you any exra MPG?
I doubt it, anything that claims more HP certainly cannot give you more MPG. I just install a AEM intake, saw worst milage yet (but it was my fault, trying to see what the thing can do):rofl:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
whistler said:
Thanks Rocky, you are officially a "GRADE A" BADASS. :cheers: :blueblob:

Why, thanks for the "promotion"! Being a lowly "Grade B" sucks! :jester:

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
Wow Rocky, nice work. Seriously thinkin about trashing the K&N and shellin out for the aFe. The only thing going for it is that it's slightly better than stock and the polished tube looks cool, but who cares, it's under the hood. BTW, what sort of work do you do? Sounds like you definitely have some fluid flow experience. Are you some sort of engineer(mechanical, automotive, miracle worker...)?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Titan1080 said:
...Sounds like you definitely have some fluid flow experience.....
I had some too today after my burrito :jester:

But seriously, glad to see someone take the plung on the afe. I'm really likin this one compared to the others I've seen. My reason is it just seems more thoroughly thought out, with the flang on the heat shield and the resonator box to the inverted filter. Just seems more complete compared to the other kits. Could all be just for show but I'm a convinced.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'll be happy to offer my opinion by the end of the weekend. I should have mine received and installed by then... I'll have my 9 and 7 year old daughter "helpers" so they may slow me down a bit.

Of course it will be more of a plain jane butt-o-meter evaluation. The last time I analyzed oil was when I made some fried chicken that tasted funky :D

Thanks for the detailed info Rockymt!!!

I have a buddy that is a fluid dynamics engineer for a NASCAR Team. You and he could have a conversation over a beer that would make me fall over with my eyes rolling back in my head from buffer overflows :D

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Titan1080 said:
Wow Rocky, nice work. Seriously thinkin about trashing the K&N and shellin out for the aFe. The only thing going for it is that it's slightly better than stock and the polished tube looks cool, but who cares, it's under the hood. BTW, what sort of work do you do? Sounds like you definitely have some fluid flow experience. Are you some sort of engineer(mechanical, automotive, miracle worker...)?
I'm not an engineer....but I did sleep at a Motel 6 last night. :jester: Just years (23, I think) of working in the HVAC industry which just so happens to parallel a lot of the same stuff as automotive....fluid/air flow dynamics, combustion, controls, etc.

I'm only a "miracle worker" when I fix someones system and make them comfortable in their little cubicle so they can enjoy their $5 Venti Carmel Macciato....the rest of the time I'm just a working stiff!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dragonhead08 said:
I had some too today after my burrito :jester:

But seriously, glad to see someone take the plung on the afe. I'm really likin this one compared to the others I've seen. My reason is it just seems more thoroughly thought out, with the flang on the heat shield and the resonator box to the inverted filter. Just seems more complete compared to the other kits. Could all be just for show but I'm a convinced.

:jester: Mmmm....chile verde...

This kit was very well thought out. I had a conversation today with Michael, the Tech Support guy with AFE. I told him that very thing....that it was evident how much time and thought that went into the development of this kit.

THEN...I gig'd him on the 2800 rpm vibration coming from the lid....lol! He said they haven't heard of this problem yet and would look into it. I fixed it easily with some 3/8"W X 3/16" thick weather stripping. Just lined the inside edges of the lid with it, and buzz was eliminated. I need to find something more permanent, as this stuff does not adhere to the alum very well.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lenj33 said:
I'll be happy to offer my opinion by the end of the weekend. I should have mine received and installed by then... I'll have my 9 and 7 year old daughter "helpers" so they may slow me down a bit.

Of course it will be more of a plain jane butt-o-meter evaluation. The last time I analyzed oil was when I made some fried chicken that tasted funky :D

Thanks for the detailed info Rockymt!!!

I have a buddy that is a fluid dynamics engineer for a NASCAR Team. You and he could have a conversation over a beer that would make me fall over with my eyes rolling back in my head from buffer overflows :D

Ha! That's funny, man! Math is my downfall when it comes to engineering...as soon as your buddy would start throwing out the Einstein equations....my eyes would simply glaze over...and then my head would start throbbing! Keep it simple....a rule to live by. :cheers:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Heh heh... I hear ya! He gets mad when I tell people he figures out better ways to squirt gas in a motor :D

I'm a big fan of keeping it simple too!

The education that boy had to acheive is staggering to my mind. I could never do it.

Which doesn't make sense since I'm an engineer in the IT industry but we don't count as much, according to him :D

Either way, I can't wait to install the AFE Stage 2 this weekend!

Len

·
Registered
676 Posts
I really like the look of that intake. I know some intakes that leave the intake filter open in the engine bay could be suseptable to dust and dirt getting in or cloggin the filter. Do systems like this that close off the filter totally eliminate that effect? I mean would something like this be anymore vulnerable to dirt and water than the stock?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts