Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subb'ed. I'd love to learn more about this as well.
I found some feedback on other forums. Looking a jeep & dodge forums there are mixed reviews. Some guys describe it as simple & effective and got great support. Others say they were shipped (or likely ordered) the wrong thing and it was difficult getting things returned/exchanged. I think the concept is solid if you're ok with having to use the remote instead of the touch screen. Hopefully someone here with more expertise in electronics will speak up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I found some feedback on other forums. Looking a jeep & dodge forums there are mixed reviews. Some guys describe it as simple & effective and got great support. Others say they were shipped (or likely ordered) the wrong thing and it was difficult getting things returned/exchanged. I think the concept is solid if you're ok with having to use the remote instead of the touch screen. Hopefully someone here with more expertise in electronics will speak up.
I agree, not sure about using a remote. Has anyone figured out a solution?

I ordered this today to try: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075B7T4W2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm hoping so.
Bump...Any updates on how the adapter worked out? I have an iPhone connected via Bluetooth to the factory nav and it's barely passable. I mean, it works, sound comes out of the speakers...but for 2018, it's complete garbage, and don't even get me started on the disaster that is Nissan Connect. How could the engineering team responsible for the infotainment system think it's acceptable to put a system like this in a $55k truck? Those people should be fired!! No wonder they are being smoked by the competition. Had I not gotten $15k off my Titan, I'd probably be looking elsewhere. Of course, as soon as I purchased my 2018, Nissan announced they are adding Apple Car Play and Android Auto to the 2019's so I'm hoping this can be a temporary measure until I figure out if the new nav units can be swapped into the 2018's.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So many affordable aftermarket head units with CarPlay and better sound out now why not go that route? I spent more than than most would need/want to in upgrading my sound system - could have gotten a $300 head unit installed and been done if CarPlay was all I wanted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So many affordable aftermarket head units with CarPlay and better sound out now why not go that route? I spent more than than most would need/want to in upgrading my sound system - could have gotten a $300 head unit installed and been done if CarPlay was all I wanted.
Thanks DirtyApe. I'm considering an aftermarket head unit. Pioneer, Alpine, Sony and Kenwood have some nice Double Din units that would fit into the Titan with just a dash kit, wiring harness and antenna adapter. I would still need to buy a separate adapter to retain steering wheel controls but that should not be an issue. I used to install car stereos at Circuit City when I was in college and we had adapters to integrate and retain just about all factory systems but back then cars were a lot simpler. My hope was to keep the factory nav look and just upgrade the speakers. What did you end up putting in yours?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I went with a Kenwood unit - you can see pics and specs in this thread:

https://www.titantalk.com/forums/electronics/417939-2018-titan-sv-aftermarket-stereo.html

Thanks DirtyApe. I'm considering an aftermarket head unit. Pioneer, Alpine, Sony and Kenwood have some nice Double Din units that would fit into the Titan with just a dash kit, wiring harness and antenna adapter. I would still need to buy a separate adapter to retain steering wheel controls but that should not be an issue. I used to install car stereos at Circuit City when I was in college and we had adapters to integrate and retain just about all factory systems but back then cars were a lot simpler. My hope was to keep the factory nav look and just upgrade the speakers. What did you end up putting in yours?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I intend on sourcing a 2019 Titan HU when they're available to purchase and that has Carplay. I'm assuming the plugs will remain the same between the two HU's, and since I have the around view monitor I'm hoping there's no discontinuity in functionality. Not sure when that'll be possible, but I'll update when I find out!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I intend on sourcing a 2019 Titan HU when they're available to purchase and that has Carplay. I'm assuming the plugs will remain the same between the two HU's, and since I have the around view monitor I'm hoping there's no discontinuity in functionality. Not sure when that'll be possible, but I'll update when I find out!
Keep us posted. I am waiting for the 19's to drop so I can look into this as well, if it doesn't work I will definitely go aftermarket. DirtyApe's Kenwood install looks really nice and the aftermarket features are so much better than factory, it's almost not even worth retrofitting, especially considering what it will probably cost to get a 2019 Nav system from Nissan. Makes you wonder why manufacturers don't hire these aftermarket consumer electronics companies to produce their OEM nav systems. Instead they go with crappy systems from Panasonic, Harman Kardon, QNEX (owned by BlackBerry), etc... that have limited functionality. We'll see...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Keep us posted. I am waiting for the 19's to drop so I can look into this as well, if it doesn't work I will definitely go aftermarket. DirtyApe's Kenwood install looks really nice and the aftermarket features are so much better than factory, it's almost not even worth retrofitting, especially considering what it will probably cost to get a 2019 Nav system from Nissan. Makes you wonder why manufacturers don't hire these aftermarket consumer electronics companies to produce their OEM nav systems. Instead they go with crappy systems from Panasonic, Harman Kardon, QNEX (owned by BlackBerry), etc... that have limited functionality. We'll see...
I have no issue with the system in the 8th gen maxima, which looks exactly like the system in the 2019 titan, and I prefer to keep the dash OEM looking. The filler for a double din aftermarket HU is a little too much plastic for my liking. The system in my 2018 titan is pretty dated, though....I'd love an upgrade.

·
Registered
131 Posts

I would be interested in trying this too. As Someone above mentioned, hopefully it is Android based. Might just be as simple as a software upgrade.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Any word on this? Did the dongle work?
Negative, it did not work. Sold my Titan and bought an F150. So much happier now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone seen or tried the 12.1" vertical screen unit made by Phoenix Automotive? That thing looks crazy cool! After using carplay in my wife's Murano I gotta have it in the Titan! I have a 2017 platinum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone seen or tried the 12.1" vertical screen unit made by Phoenix Automotive? That thing looks crazy cool! After using carplay in my wife's Murano I gotta have it in the Titan! I have a 2017 platinum.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts