Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am in the process of purchasing a new (to me) Titan. I had wanted one with a locking diff, but the Pro-4Xs generally don't have the other features my wife and I want (which is why we're looking at buying an SL today).

I am not planning on doing any hardcore 4x4ing or anything, but I do drive back into the national forests to camp and fly fish and am buying this truck to do so, so I'm thinking a locking diff 20 miles back in the woods (with no cell signal) isn't a bad idea. However, the SL I'm looking at doesn't have the locking diff.

Short story long, what are my aftermarket options should I choose to buy one and about how much does it cost to buy one and have it put in? If I'm not planning on going hardcore, would it be cheaper and/or easier to put an OEM locking diff after the fact?

Thanks!

Brandon

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Search for TrueTrac. It's probably the most popular on here. Last time I checked, they go for around $600 without install. It's a limited-slip.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Id get 4wd if you plan on going offroad, getting stuck in the middle of nowhere without help sucks. You never know what kind of weather you'll end up in.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
[/I]
Id get 4wd if you plan on going offroad, getting stuck in the middle of nowhere without help sucks. You never know what kind of weather you'll end up in.
I agree with this statement but with more travel and a trutrac. You dont have to go slow. When in doubt gas it but thick mud will do ya in. Gotta love aftermarket suspension :big_grin:

Reactions: MikeClark

·
Premium Member
20,938 Posts
^^^ Epic fail. :)

Good luck with the Ford. It's better than a Dodge. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha! I do have to say, the number of RAMs for sale versus ALL of the other trucks actually did make me think "NOPE!"

Plus I sat in one and didn't care for it. Heh.

Brandon

·
Registered
793 Posts
Haha! I do have to say, the number of RAMs for sale versus ALL of the other trucks actually did make me think "NOPE!"

Plus I sat in one and didn't care for it. Heh.

Brandon
Number of Rams sale made you think "Nope" yet you were looking to buy a TITAN? Laughable!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ooooook. Enlighten me, since you obviously know the Nashville truck market better than I do.

Brandon

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a Pro-4x that I drove from Maine to Alaska, up the Dalton Highway to Prudhoe Bay, around the Arctic in general and 22 miles up the Yukon River roads and only once needed my rear locker. I have used my truck over most of the US and found that the item I used the most are my solid steel sliders. They have saved my truck body many times and gotten me out of some serious off road conditions.

If you're serious about off road forget the front locker, probably the rear too, and get some solid steel sliders, steel differential cover and steel shock protectors. I'm buying a new Pro-4x in the spring and the first thing I'll do is put solid steel sliders on, not the very fashionable light weight tube steps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts