Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share some lessons I learned while installing a Pioneer AVH-P3400BH in my 2011 Titan w/6-cd changer non-Rockford Fosgate stereo.

The correct wiring harness is the Metra 70-7550 (learned this lesson after visiting Best Buy and being told it was the 70-7552, and splicing the harnesses together and realizing they didnt match the factory harness)

You DO NOT need an antenna adapter such as the 40-NI12. I bought one and spliced it into the harness only to find the stock Nissan antenna was the same one the stereo needed.

The factory dash that fits the OEM Double DIN 6-cd changer fits the new stereo perfectly and you DO NOT need to buy a dash kit and no aftermarket mounting brackets were required. I used the stock ones and mounted them on the new stereo.

Also I was finishing this install late last night after a long day at work and was baffled when I had 3 cables from the OEM stereo and the new harness only accepted 2. Took me a while to figure out that one was the factory bluetooth and I was not using it anymore.

Overall...not a bad install to do yourself, figured I saved myself quite a bit of money from not having it installed professionally...but complicated enough for a first time installer to become a multiple evening process. But the end result is fantastic!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Looks good, I like how the pioneers let you choose color so you can match the rest of the gauges for a cleaner look

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2012 with the dual zone climate control and the RF radio. I want to install an aftermarket double DIN. The only bezel I have found that looks like it will fit is the Scosche NN1645B, but yours looks like it would work too and I prefer the silver/chrome look. You say your bezel is the factory one? If so I should be able to get that from the dealer I imagine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Aren't you going to miss the bluetooth. I. Your research is their an aftermarket way to keep the factory bluetooth?

Sent from my Galaxy Note

·
Registered
28 Posts
Aren't you going to miss the bluetooth. I. Your research is their an aftermarket way to keep the factory bluetooth?

Sent from my Galaxy Note
Who, me? My future stereo is going to be the Devium Dash, which uses the iPhone as the face of the head unit. Bluetooth is incorporated and shoud work with the steering wheel controls if they do the vehicle integration kit like they say they will.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The new unit has bluetooth...and I plan on adding the Axxess ASWC to regain my steering wheel controls, and you can bypass the factory bluetooth so I can use the steering wheel to make calls.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Does this just plug right in with that harness or do you have to cut and splice into the factory harness? Basically I want to be able to swap in the factory one if I needed to. Sorry I'm a stereo install newb haha.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you splice the harness that comes with the aftermarket headunit to the wiring harness such as the 70-7550. Then you plug your stock harness into that. No cutting of factory wires is needed.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Awesome thanks. How do you like it? I'm thinking of getting this HU to run my subs and speakers that I'll be getting.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love it...was gonna go with the P1400DVD but decided to go with the P3400BH (was onsale at BestBuy) well worth the extra $$. Bluetooth audio streaming is awesome!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just thought I'd share some lessons I learned while installing a Pioneer AVH-P3400BH in my 2011 Titan w/6-cd changer non-Rockford Fosgate stereo.

The correct wiring harness is the Metra 70-7550 (learned this lesson after visiting Best Buy and being told it was the 70-7552, and splicing the harnesses together and realizing they didnt match the factory harness)

You DO NOT need an antenna adapter such as the 40-NI12. I bought one and spliced it into the harness only to find the stock Nissan antenna was the same one the stereo needed.

The factory dash that fits the OEM Double DIN 6-cd changer fits the new stereo perfectly and you DO NOT need to buy a dash kit and no aftermarket mounting brackets were required. I used the stock ones and mounted them on the new stereo.

Also I was finishing this install late last night after a long day at work and was baffled when I had 3 cables from the OEM stereo and the new harness only accepted 2. Took me a while to figure out that one was the factory bluetooth and I was not using it anymore.

Overall...not a bad install to do yourself, figured I saved myself quite a bit of money from not having it installed professionally...but complicated enough for a first time installer to become a multiple evening process. But the end result is fantastic!!
One other thing, where did you get the nice dash kit? It looks just like the factory, mine is just painted silver!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am changing out my Rockford Fosgate 6 cd chager and have the three clips left over also. Are they not needed? Just wondering. I posted another thread asking, but figured I ask you.

Thanks,
JP

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I think the reason they gave you the wrong harness and antenna adaptor is they change to them in around 2009 or 2010 on the single disc trucks. I guess Nissan had a bunch of 6 disc and RFs in stock so they still used the old style on them for a couple of years until they used the radios up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I am changing out my Rockford Fosgate 6 cd chager and have the three clips left over also. Are they not needed? Just wondering. I posted another thread asking, but figured I ask you.

Thanks,
JP
What kind of clips??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
A few things:
1. The best way to get the same OEM bezel as metitan87 would be to use his VIN. Your dealer should (might?) be able to tell you if it will fit your model truck. If it's the same year or even dash style it should be OK. You should try getting the on-line price and seeing if your dealer will match it. Mine did for the Armada Air Dam.
2. It is widely discussed that Pioneers have a problem with the fuse that affects the RCA sheild grounds. If you are getting engine noise, or even if you are not, the fix is to wrap bare copper wire around the RCA plugs on the back of the radio - this only contacts the sheild - and connect it to ground.
3. The Titan stock radio is known to have a poor ground. The fix is to ground your radio to a good ground.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I installed the AVH 8500 on mine and it was easy just match colors to the adapter harness I bought separately. I do want to get the oem faceplate though

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone have the part number for this radio bezel? Want to go to OEM for the fit and finish
Is it just me or does he say in his original post that he used the factory bezel?

Regardless, I found this Metra bezel on amazon.com that folks seem to think has a nicer/closer to stock look than the Schorsche (sp?). It may not be the exact one you need for you application but if the brand has a good rep is something to consider. But if you want to stay OEM and you can use the factory bezel, why not?

·
Registered
8 Posts
metitan87 I hope your stereo works flawlessly and you love it. However, for those of you considering a new stereo let me kick in my two bits as I am also searching for a bluetooth enabled, double din stereo to replace my factory setup. There are a lot of options and many of them have a touch screen. I feel like putting 'touch screen' in the title today is like putting a lower case 'i' in the title of something a few years ago. Companies came out with everything from the iChair to the iSocks and whatever else that didn't have anything to do with an iPhone but that didn't matter. People think that if it starts with a lower case 'i' like the iPhone, iPod, iPad then it must be awesome! I mean, a touch screen makes everything better, right? I used to think so but please let me give you two things to consider before buying...

1. Don't underestimate the power of a button. I have a touch screen remote (Harmony 900) and it's slick, everyone who sees it thinks its neat, I get all kinds of oohs and ahhs over it but I would gladly trade it for one with tactile buttons in a hearbeat if my wife hadn't spent $350 on it for my bday gift. The problem with a touch screen is its an all glass smooth surface, you can't tell what button your finger is on which forces you to look down every time. This is very annoying with a remote control when you have to look down at it before you want to scroll one click up or down, change the volume, skip fwd, replay etc. I would imagine this would be somewhat distracting on a car stereo as well. Having tactile buttons to push is actually really nice when you get familiar with where they are and you can simply reach down and poke away.

2. Not all touch screens are created equal. Don't expect the screen on every touch device to be a temperature sensitive masterpiece of precision that your iPhone is. There's a reason why Apple/Samsung stock is $400/share and its because their devices are expertly designed and manufactured after years of R&D in a very competitive market. A stereo manufacturer that probably makes a million different products probably doesn't put this much effort into this process and they know you have to rip your dash apart and hope you get a partial refund if you don't like it. The result is you poking your finger through your stereo (or thermostat, remote control, handheld camera, etc.) in a fit of rage shortly before driving over the median into oncoming traffic.

Anyway, maybe this is just a rant after a few too many beers but hopefully it gives you something to think about when shopping around.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts