Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go to the stealership today to get my oil changed and they tell me that my front diff is leaking. They said I don't need to replace it immediately but they recommend that I do. My question to everyone is does anybody know about an aftermarket front diff that is better and/or cheaper than the stock front diff.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
No aftermarket front diff available. 2004-2005 had a weaker case and half shafts that tended to pull out resulting in leak around seals at flanges where CVs bolt to front diff. The front diff was improved 2006+. Sometimes they also develop pinion seal leak, which can be fixed fairly easily. Where is it leaking?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like the leak is coming from wear the CV bolts to the differential. Any idea if its just a seal I need replaced or if the whole diff needs to be replaced. The dealership told me the whole diff needs to be replaced but I don't know if I believe them.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
It typically leaks around the CV flange because the half shaft pulls out. The half shaft is held in place only by a clip that rides in a groove on the inner end of the half shaft inside the diff. When the shaft pulls out, it can sometimes be pushed back into place, but sometimes it damages the seal and/or the splines on the inner end of the shaft. They redesigned the diff for 2006+ to make it more difficult for the half shaft to pull out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's probably what's wrong with it. The leak looks like it's coming from right around where the CV goes into the differential. Is there anyway to get that problem fixed without replacing the whole differential?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I'll just have to cough up the money to get a new one when this one eventually goes out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts