Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you install a aftermarket radio into a Titan with the RF Package and use the factory amp?

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
You could...but why?

It's kinda difficult (if I remember correctly) and the sound is nothing to write home about.

What are you wanting to accomplish?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yes you can install an aftermarket radio in a Titan with the RF package. The real question is: Why would one want to do that when the aftermarket radio can deliver as much power as the RF amp? One would also have to attenuate the output of the new HU to prevent overloading the input of the existing amp.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm trying to use my new Sony HU that I bought just before I got the Titan. It has a USB input on the face panel to control my ipod shuffle (the tiny one).
I also have a sirius setup for this radio.
I don't what to change out the factory amp and speakers yet.

Back when I was installing in the 90’s we took aftermarket HUs and installed them into cars with the Bose system (mainly Maximas) with out changing the factory amps or speakers. What I would do is use the low level outputs (RCAs) of the aftermarket HU, wired them into the factory speaker wires going to the factory amp(s). I would also turn the factory amp(s) on. It sounded great for the little effort in my 95 Maxima.

Can be accomplished in my 07 Titan with the RF system?

Any experience with this?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I haven't tried your method but don't see any reason it can't be done. I would do what I have done on my 06 Titan (and 04 Titan); pull the plug on the Nissan amp and bypass the amp wiring to feed the inputs to the amp to the inputs to the speakers. I use crossover networks to connect the front door speakers and dash tweeters for the front channels. The stock rear speakers are so poor I used new speakers mounted in sealed boxes - they can be connected at the amp connector or directly from the new HU. Of course, one could also use the stock rear speakers with wiring bypassed at the amp connector. (the pin out for the amp connector has been posted here several times - search on my screen name). I used pins purchased at one of the local electronics stores to create the jumpers for the connector, one could also use pieces of solid wire of the necessary diameter to fit the socket.

I ran the above described configuration in my 04 for about a year and for the last 3 months in the 06.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have used your method before we started using my method in my installing days.

I thought that some of the stock RF package speakers are 2 ohms. Wouldn't this hurt the aftermarket HU?

I'm looking for a solution to get the best sound for what I already have purchased. I will upgrade to a 4 channel and components later. I rather put the money towards a lift with wheels and tires first.

Option 1: using the Stock RF radio with a LOC ($40). But I will have to purchase the Sirius module (~$260) and the ipod connector (~$30) for the factory RF HU.
=~$330

Option 2 (if it works): I have a Sony HU, one week old, with a sirius module and ipod controls. I would only need a dash kit (~$50). Maybe steering wheel controls interface (~$50).
=($50-$100)

I intentionally left out the price of a sub box and amp wiring as I will install that in either case.

Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yes, the speakers in most nissans are 2 ohm - not any different with the RF system. Over the years I have used a number of different HUs in a number of different Nissans (Pathfinder, Titan and Frontier). I have yet to damage a HU (Sony, JVC, Blaupunkt) playing it into stock Nissan speakers (your mileage may vary). Technically, one should not operate an amplifier into a load it is not rated for. But my experience says otherwise, I suspect that the power levels available from most HUs (12 to 20 watts RMS) and their output stage design is such that operating into a 2 ohm load is not a problem. If the design were marginal or greater output power available (100 watts or so) then there could be damage. Given the speakers are rated at a max of 35 watts, I would expect the speakers to go before the amp was damaged.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts