Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Titan w/ 6" Fabtech lift, 35" Toyo ATs, Custom Exhaust(w/ cat delete), Programmed with UpRev
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that over had my grill off to snug up my electric fan, I've seen that the factory tranny cooler is in fact in there and should be sufficient to do the job... But it isn't... So my new Hayden 698 cooler showed up this morning. Once I install it, should I pull the factory one out? I mean shouldn't that make the cooling system breath better? Maybe I'll end up finding that factory one is full of debris and that's why it wasn't pulling it's weight...

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Don't pull the factory one out unless you plan to replace it with a new factory style cooler. Run the Hayden in-line with the factory and bypass the cooler/warmer circuit in the bottom of the radiator as it is prone to leaks and ruining the trans with coolant infiltration. This thread will give you the info you need.

Reactions: honda250xtitan

·
Registered
2004 Titan w/ 6" Fabtech lift, 35" Toyo ATs, Custom Exhaust(w/ cat delete), Programmed with UpRev
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I read through that thread, and I've got a clarifying question. Ultimately, aren't I just pulling the 2 lines off of the radiator and connecting them to the new aftermarket cooler? I know that the lines won't reach as it sits, I'll pick more up... And all of the rest of the specifics are kinda making it sound more confusing than it is. I made brackets and mounted it like they did yesterday before the rains moved in, I'll finish up when the sun comes out again...

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Right now, the routing goes:

Transmission out - driver's side of radiator - passenger side of radiator - OEM cooler in - OEM cooler out - Transmission return

New routing needs to do two things - remove the lower tank connections and add in the aux cooler connections. From a length of hose standpoint, it's far easier to route like the writeup than just to loop two long sections of hose all over the place to add in the aux cooler. Doing so doesn't follow the short path. You can route it how you want, but ultimately going from the trans out line to the OEM cooler in to the OEM cooler out to the aux in to the aux out to the trans return is the cleanest, least wasteful way to run it. Use worm clamps.

·
Registered
14,231 Posts
what dubyam said.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you dubyam, that helps make sense of it. I was getting lost in the description...

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Crawl under the truck, stare at it about 10min, and it will all suddenly click! (Only half-joking about this, seriously.) I read the post several times, looked at my own setup, and finally deduced what they guy was saying. I had the benefit of having a lot of room to work because I replaced my radiator when I did the aux cooler, so I got a full view of how everything connected.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, yesterday as it was starting to get dark and everything was oily and dirty, it was hard to grasp it. As I was putting my tools away, I sprayed the area down with degreaser and hosed it all down. I just looked under there a minute ago, and it seemed far less daunting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it done. Thanks for your patience guys. I only ended up needing half of the tubing that came with the cooler. I ended up doing it slightly different. When I pulled the tranny line off of the driver's side of the radiator I connected that factory line straight into where the short rubber line from the passenger side of the radiator goes to, therefore getting it bypassed (this may be what had been done in that thread, it just read differently). Then I pulled the rubber caps off of the new cooler to cap off the ports on the radiator. Then I moved to the front, I did essentially just like the thread explains, but I only disconnected the tubing from the rigid line that's hard to get to next to the condenser and hooked the now loose ends of rubber tubing to the closer nipple on the new cooler. Then connected a length of the included tubing to the rigid line that I just pulled the factory tubing off of and the other end of it to the other new cooler's nipple. 👍. No leaks, put the grill and skid plate back on.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Replace ALL of the ATF rubber hoses, I've had EVERY SINGLE ONE BURST sooner or later on my '05, finally replaced them all with Stainless Steel Braided hoses from the Harley. And I carry a jug of ATF with me still.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts