Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to this site and new to Titans, i did my research and love my truck so far. I also love the amount of info on this site, just wondering if anyone had any tips in improving MPGs? wondering if the throttle body spacers work? or the tornado intake swirlies? or anything else that anyone has tried to improve the walletectomy we all get at the gas pumps! thanks for the info.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
Your best bet will be a handheld tuner, intake and exhaust. But you will never save the money you spent spent.

The only thing you can really do, is drive like a granny. Trust me, an exhaust, intake and tuner gave me about .5 mpg.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yeah, the Titan has the worst MPG of the half-tons from what I have seen. Toyota's 5.7 I don't think is any better, but not worse either. If you do not need to tow a lot with a heavy load (+5,000 lbs), or the 4x4, get a 2wd with the 2.93 gears. THAT is the only thing that will help with mileage on this truck. I have owned two Titans. The first was a 2005 Crew Cab XE 2WD. In town I got 14-15, and routinley saw 18+ on the highway. Not bad at all for this engine. The second was a 2009 4x4 SE Crew Cab. Still around 13-14 in town, and the best I ever got on the highway was 17.5 MPG. Not horrible, but not as good as the 2WD either. The 2005 XE I had also had the cheap steel 17 inch rims and smaller tires than what came with the 2009 SE (18 inch rims with 33 inch tires). Gearing and motor were the same on the two trucks (except for the 4X4 on the 09) so the difference in tires/rims may have been the difference in mileage on my two trucks.

Nothing will really help with the mileage like on older cars. Used to you could add an intake and exhaust, tweak the computer to use those two items better, and instantly get a few more ponies as well as better mileage. I have not seen that to be true with Nissan's the past few years (any Nissan). There is always some improvement you can make like underagedtitan mentions above, but as a co-worker of mine always says, "Is the juice worth the squeeze?"

·
Registered
286 Posts
Your best bet will be a handheld tuner, intake and exhaust. But you will never save the money you spent spent.

The only thing you can really do, is drive like a granny. Trust me, an exhaust, intake and tuner gave me about .5 mpg.
Dude I granny mine every day and can't see any more than 12-13 all day long......

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Low RPMs in the highest gear possible. Nothing else is worth doing, really. If I take it easy I can get almost 20 out of my 04 Crew Cab 4x4 without Big Tow, on the interstate in the mountains, and a little over 20 in the flatlands. I took a trip up north in January and I averaged 20mpg for most of it doing 70-75, but this was in the flatlands. In the mountains on the same trip at that speed about 17.5/18. When I had my last 04 with Big Tow I averaged a little bit less, maybe 1mpg worse.

·
Registered
855 Posts
throttle body spacers dont work. They just make a whistle noise.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
A sharp tack under your right foot!:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts